Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fordfocusrs1.jpg

I found this while looking around, can someone in Australia confirm?

Drift mode... doesn't sound very politically correct!

Indeed. Pericak told CAR that they would have to disable the system in some territories.

'In Australia, for instance, they have hooligan laws on the road which means we will have to turn off Drift mode to stay legal,' he said. 'It's a simple enough thing to do.'

Production Focus RS models will have a mode button on the transmission tunnel near the gearlever, although the prototypes in Geneva don't have the switch fitted. It's the latest tunable system on a Ford, after the Mustang's burn-out mode.

Your turn to drive like Ken Block: Ford Focus RS's new Drift mode by CAR Magazine

·
Registered
77 Posts
The brochure still mentions 4 selectable drive modes.
That would be Normal, Sport, Track and Drift right?

There was initial concerns when it first came out that we'd lose the Drift mode, but I haven't seen anything since around the time of that article.

·
Super Moderator
15,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The brochure still mentions 4 selectable drive modes.
That would be Normal, Sport, Track and Drift right?

There was initial concerns when it first came out that we'd lose the Drift mode, but I haven't seen anything since around the time of that article.
So what's the deal with the Hooligan law? That's so early 2005! Last I read there was a 17yr old kid that had his Commodore impounded for revving his engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That article was dated 3rd March 2015. It was looking for a while that we weren't going to get drift mode here in Australia. It has been confirmed since that we will be getting it, so no need to stress guys. I have it in black and white in front of me.
There is talk of harnesses being available for the RS from the dealership even, if you are so inclined. I've had them before in a road car and they're crap!!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That article was dated 3rd March 2015. It was looking for a while that we weren't going to get drift mode here in Australia. It has been confirmed since that we will be getting it, so no need to stress guys. I have it in black and white in front of me.
There is talk of harnesses being available for the RS from the dealership even, if you are so inclined. I've had them before in a road car and they're crap!!!!
That's awesome, I saw the article and figured if ask if this was still happening. Drift on, mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Straight after watching the Ben Collins video i started scouring google maps looking for some nice safe spots to hit the drift button. Apart from finding a track, the options are limited - has anyone had any bright ideas?
I honestly think it will end up being a bit of a gimmick (albeit a very impressive one) and the most accessible fun will be had on our twisty roads. I mean, you can have your car impounded for 'internationally losing traction' which means you better find a bloody remote spot before you hit the button. Just before xmas there was also a campaign encouraging people to 'report a hoon'. I suppose that just means you better keep it so far sideways the number plate isn't visible...

·
Super Moderator
15,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just before xmas there was also a campaign encouraging people to 'report a hoon'. I suppose that just means you better keep it so far sideways the number plate isn't visible...
Well, I reckon I'm not welcome on the twisties there in AUS!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I mean, you can have your car impounded for 'internationally losing traction'
Is that like drifting across the border?

Here in the U.S. I got a basic speed law ticket (equals a 5 MPH over) which I got taken down to a double parking ticket for drifting my Taurus SHO across 3 lanes of Woodward. whoopsie... It makes a big difference here if your just honest with the cops. He said he could give me careless driving (which is kind of a big deal, but wouldn't involve impounding the car).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah im not far from Calder Park - suppose I better find a club. @Hoonigan all things considered you would probably have a greater chance of hitting wildlife in the hills than running into police...you do not want to run into a wombat, its hitting a like a rock shaped log

·
Super Moderator
15,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah im not far from Calder Park - suppose I better find a club. @Hoonigan all things considered you would probably have a greater chance of hitting wildlife in the hills than running into police...you do not want to run into a wombat, its hitting a like a rock shaped log
I hear those feisty Kangaroos aren't a joke either.

·
Registered
306 Posts
@Xicutioner there's not a lot of leeway here. It would be a rare bird to let you off the hook. Also, I misquoted - "deliberate loss of traction" is an impoundable offence, along with street racing, and some really harsh stuff. They really don't want you drifting or doing burnouts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Road laws in Australia are ridiculous. The amount of inattentive, dumb and outright dangerous driving that I see on a weekly basis that goes unpunished is astonishing. Yet I'll regularly see Radar traps (private contractors) and Police radars to ping you for 5 or 10 km/h over. /Rant off

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
18 Participants
randman2011
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing