Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get a list going on the differences I have noted between images on the Australian Ford site and sites from other markets.

Base Wheels
Aus - Polished 20 spoke alloy
US - Painted 20 spoke alloy
UK - Polished 20 spoke alloy

Paint Type
Aus - Frozen White, Magnetic, Shadow Black, Nitrous
US - Shadow Black, Frozen White, Nitrous, Stealth Gray
UK - Stealth, Frozen White, Magnetic, Shadow Black, Nitrous

Front Seats
Aus - Recaro shells
US - Partial Recaro Leather, 8-way power heated leather Recaro (part of RS2 Package)
UK - Standard RS Recaro, Recaro shells

Audio
Aus - Non branded fascia (no piano black) w/ SYNC 2
US - 10 Speaker Sony piano black gloss unit w/ SYNC 3 (Nav is optional)
UK - Non branded fascia standard, 10 speaker Sony unit incl sub w/ SYNC 2 & Nav Optional

Sunroof
Aus - no option
US - Power Moonroof
UK - Power Sunroof
(not sure why theyre different?)

Brake Calipers
Aus - blue painted standard
US - blue painted standard
UK - blue painted optional

Thats all I can see for now - theres a fair few "luxury pack" items that are optional in other markets that we wont see but they just seem to be of the weight adding, unnecessary variety. Im feeling less annoyed by not getting SYNC 3 now I know we arent the only ones missing out. Have I missed anything important?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dont understand why the exact same car would be receiving different audio hardware. Brand new car - updates sync 3 system

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just wanted to get a list going on the differences I have noted between images on the Australian Ford site and sites from other markets.

Audio
Aus - Non branded fascia (no piano black) w/ SYNC 2
US - 10 Speaker Sony piano black gloss unit w/ SYNC 3 (Nav is optional)
UK - Non branded fascia standard, 10 speaker Sony unit incl sub w/ SYNC 2 & Nav Optional
I dont understand why the exact same car would be receiving different audio hardware. Brand new car - updates sync 3 system
The audio setup (number and location of speakers) is the biggest WTF for me...
Surely that aspect of the system would be the same. :confused:

Sync 2 vs Sync 3 as I understand it is that Sync 3 is compatible with US English (for voice commands/menus etc) and its taking longer to add in the other European/global languages.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, and theres no chance of a SYNC software update as 2 & 3 use different hardware.

Re: the speaker/audio setup...looking at the regular focus brochure, the Trend, ST & RS have the non branded fascia (Trend with 6 speakers, everything else with 9). The Sport and Titanium have the glossy Sony fascia. Seems amazingly inconsistent - doesnt seem to be any rationale.

Focus Trend - Single CD with AM/FM with 6 speakers
Focus Sport - Single Sony CD with AM/FM DAB tuner with 9 speakers
Focus Titanium - as per Sport
Focus ST - as per Sport (but non Sony branded)
Focus RS - as per ST

Having trawled a few brochures it seems like they just pick and choose what they want to put in the spec list - none of them seem particularly comprehensive.

Off topic, but how much can we lean into the Thatcham Alarm system? Thatcham seems to be a security rating system (https://www.thatcham.org/files/pdf/Definition_of_Security_Categories.pdf) so without a rating to go on its a bit useless. I know they quote immobiliser, volume & intrusion sensing & perimter alarms, all of which appear to add up to most of a Category 1 Thatcham rating. The same system is apparently on the ST - anyone care to comment on it's effectiveness?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The UK configurator shows it as a "Power Tilt/Slide Sunroof". I guess they missed the memo.

I guess a sunroof is a better selling point for the Poms - they dont get huge amounts of sun so probably want to take full advantage!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Rear fog and headlight washers.

I wonder what the difference is between a sun roof and a moon roof?
I wonder
One is to open and let the sun in, the other is to open and stick your bum out....

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
There is a technical difference between a sunroof and a moonroof, but most everybody uses the terms interchangeably. First off, both are panels in the roof that let light or fresh air inside the cabin. Getting down to details, though: A sunroof is typically a solid body-colored panel that pops up or is removable. A moonroof is a type of sunroof, except that it’s a sliding glass panel. The majority of new cars have moonroofs, as what’s technically considered a sunroof has pretty much gone out of style.

https://www.cars.com/articles/whats-the-difference-between-a-sunroof-and-a-moonroof-1420666252506/

I wonder

·
Banned
1,389 Posts

I wonder
There is no difference! Sunroof is what UK call the moonroof!

Here ia a link to the UK configurator :
http://www.ford.co.uk/ConfigureyourCar/Focus-RS/RS

There is more information on the UK RS Forum if you are really(?) interested. focusrsoc.com

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any idea why the US specification doesnt include the recaro shell seats at all? I have read a few FoST reviews from larger lads complaining about not finding a great deal of comfort in those seats...perhaps ford are aiming to avoid negative early press from US reviewers by making sure they dont wind up having to lever anyone out of the front shells with a crowbar and a stick of butter? (if the car is as good as we expect they may need a crowbar anyway...)

My logic is flawed...theres plenty of hefty folk in the suburbs of Melbourne - just weird that we get the most hardcore seats without any option to accommodate larger folks.

·
Registered
895 Posts
We will get headlight washers as it's part of the ADR for having HID headlights. Also years ago when I was doing some manufacturers training(I'm an ex-mechanic) I asked about the moonroof/sunroof thing, as I'd never heard it called a moonroof before, the trainer said it had to do with liability, as you can get skin cancer from the sun.....but not the moon!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Any idea why the US specification doesnt include the recaro shell seats at all? I have read a few FoST reviews from larger lads complaining about not finding a great deal of comfort in those seats...perhaps ford are aiming to avoid negative early press from US reviewers by making sure they dont wind up having to lever anyone out of the front shells with a crowbar and a stick of butter? (if the car is as good as we expect they may need a crowbar anyway...)

My logic is flawed...theres plenty of hefty folk in the suburbs of Melbourne - just weird that we get the most hardcore seats without any option to accommodate larger folks.
From my understanding the shell seats do not pass US design standards.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh ok - yeah I think I remember something about their seats needing to accommodate an airbag in the bolster. Fair comment.
I must admit to being a bit worried about the long distance comfort of these seats. I dont drive every day but tend to do a few hours per trip a few times a week and really hoping I dont wind up with nerve damage in my backside...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts