Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1075 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just wonder if any Australian owners has this famous issue with their RS? Most of the fail one is in US and EU according to the active topic on the forums. Anyone in Oz has this issue and how you guys deal with it?

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
can we confirm these were early built engines? Is v5 the latest engine revision and has there been reports on it?
If the issue hasn't specifically been addressed in later builds, then is getting a replacement engine as a repair really satisfying anyone anyway? just for the same problem to repeat 10,000km down the track again?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are there anymore reports on this? Im realling interested in the RS, but am slowly being scared away by the amount of engine issues I am hearing about all over the internet. Was this a predominently EU US based thing? I would love to her some success stories about the AU cars and that they are different to the US EU ones.

I am contemplating a 2016 Nitro blue RS. That has a comploance date of novemeber 16 so I am assuming that would have a build date of sepetember 16. The car has an ETS FMIC on it, will that void any warranty with the car?

And lasty how much better is the sync 3 then the sync 2? is it worth the money?

Thnks

·
Registered
933 Posts
Are there anymore reports on this? Im realling interested in the RS, but am slowly being scared away by the amount of engine issues I am hearing about all over the internet. Was this a predominently EU US based thing? I would love to her some success stories about the AU cars and that they are different to the US EU ones.

I am contemplating a 2016 Nitro blue RS. That has a comploance date of novemeber 16 so I am assuming that would have a build date of sepetember 16. The car has an ETS FMIC on it, will that void any warranty with the car?

Thnks
Hi mate, firstly welcome aboard. There has been a few reported here in Oz. BrendanRS from this Forum was definetly one. Unfortunately there is no difference in our cars engine wise compared to the EU and US.

As for the ETS FMIC, you may run into issues with the warranty as the vehicle has been altered from its standard form. Normally if the OEM can associate a failure with a non genuine part, they probably will deny the warranty. If you or your dealer aren't 100% sure than I would bypass this vehicle if you are concerned with failures.

As far as sync 2 v sync 3, can't answer that one.

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the reply mate. I have been reading a bit and had read that people noticed a higher fail rate in the early stage of 2016 cars, is this the case? Also is there a roughly a time or km range when they are expected to go?

Really like the car, just dont wanna get stuck with a lemon. Ive been without a car for about 2 - 3 months now and the last thing I wont is more issue.

·
5,622 Posts
All legit questions.

There is a higher frequency to early 2016 builds but the issue continues to manifest itself in 2017 builds as well, so totally random.

The issue is a combo of poor head gasket design and cylinder head build.

What Ford do to address this is anyone's guess cause at the moment they really don't have a solution.

If you want peace of mind buy one without any mods.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts

Thnks
Sync3 is WAY better than sync2. I have sync2 on my Kuga and 3 on the RS.

Ciao

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
All legit questions.

There is a higher frequency to early 2016 builds but the issue continues to manifest itself in 2017 builds as well, so totally random.

The issue is a combo of poor head gasket design and cylinder head build.

What Ford do to address this is anyone's guess cause at the moment they really don't have a solution.

If you want peace of mind buy one without any mods.

Good luck.
90% of reported failures have been in the April to August 2016 build date period. About 4 2017 BUILT cars and the rest late 2016 BUILT. Total reported failed units to date approx 110-120 out of over 25000 units built.

Ciao

·
Registered
70 Posts
i was told by my dealer that Ford Australia said that i was the first one they have seen in Australia....but who knows.....

i finally have my lil blue RS in my driveway and i now dont have my gender challenged everytime i drive to work in the courtesy car :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
90% of reported failures have been in the April to August 2016 build date period. About 4 2017 BUILT cars and the rest late 2016 BUILT. Total reported failed units to date approx 110-120 out of over 25000 units built.

Ciao
and if L P says it, it is a fact? How much is Ford paying you to cover up the extent of this problem? You claim not only knowledge of the # built but how many failures? Sure you say you know, but no one else believes you! Go Away Please!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
and if L P says it, it is a fact? How much is Ford paying you to cover up the extent of this problem? You claim not only knowledge of the # built but how many failures? Sure you say you know, but no one else believes you! Go Away Please!
Like most things in life you can take it or leave it. You disagree with the numbers? your perogative. BTW I think I'll stay.

Ciao

·
Banned
713 Posts
HG Failure Rate lest than 1/2 of 1 percent according to @Lucky Phil - VERY LOW!!!

Ciao
Dear @lucky phil sir,

Interesting ... you are one of the few people that has actually stated quantitative numbers, most have been FUD.

So assuming your numbers are correct then the actual failure rate is pretty low 110-120 out of 25,000 is only a failure rate of 0.44% to 0.48%.

This is less than 1/2 of 1 % which is a very low failure rate.

Now the big question. Can you provide a source or sources of your numbers to collaborate, verify, and validate the numbers you provided? You know the number of failures 110-120 and the total production 25,000 vehicles. And as further qualification do those numbers refer to the total MK III RS run from mid 2016 through the lE2018 models and are those numbers total world-wide RS MK III production ? Is there any quantifiable data that proves/disproves that modding/tuning increased the likelihood of a HG failure ?

I am very interested in the data you provided and I truly hope it is accurate and true.

If your numbers are correct and they can be proven, then the head-gasket failure issue can be closed once and for all. :excited:

Sincerely,

TargetArcher

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Dear @lucky phil sir,

Interesting ... you are one of the few people that has actually stated quantitative numbers, most have been FUD.

So assuming your numbers are correct then the actual failure rate is pretty low 110-120 out of 25,000 is only a failure rate of 0.44% to 0.48%.

This is less than 1/2 of 1 % which is a very low failure rate.

Now the big question. Can you provide a source or sources of your numbers to collaborate, verify, and validate the numbers you provided? You know the number of failures 110-120 and the total production 25,000 vehicles. And as further qualification do those numbers refer to the total MK III RS run from mid 2016 through the lE2018 models and are those numbers total world-wide RS MK III production ? Is there any quantifiable data that proves/disproves that modding/tuning increased the likelihood of a HG failure ?

I am very interested in the data you provided and I truly hope it is accurate and true.

If your numbers are correct and they can be proven, then the head-gasket failure issue can be closed once and for all. :excited:

Sincerely,

TargetArcher
As I have stated more than several times before, mine are REPORTED numbers and are based on my monitoring of European, US, Australian, English, South African, forums and several FB groups. My rationale as stated before (this is nothing new here) is that the RS is an enthusiasts car and people are passionate about it and although not all owners are forum members my impression is that as soon as one has a major issue AKA head gasket you find people jump on FB or join a forum pretty quick and the word gets around and the numbers are noted. So I believe the failure reporting percentage is pretty high on social media of one type or another. If the issue was with a Ford Escape my view would be different.
So my estimates are based on 10 months of following closely the above sources and you can believe them or not, I'm not bothered either way. As for total production, well my April 17 car is almost the 22,000th RS off the production line so the 25,000 total units (MK3RS) built to date is pretty conservative I'd say. Its probably closer to 30,000.
So in the absence of some official Ford data you can choose what you want to believe, someone from a technical background that has taken the time to monitor the reports worldwide as I have done and make some assumptions that I have been very up front about all along or jump on the internet anxiety bandwagon where in many cases rational, considered, evaluation of the issue on all levels is buried in hysteria. Remember even if the total failures were double the reported it would still be a fairly low figure. Higher than you want but still fairly low. No real correlation to tuned or std, probably more std than tuned have failed. Mileage at failure? anywhere from around 8000 miles to 30000 miles (of course there are the odd exceptions). Thats all I have apart from my own theory, that may be right or wrong but it is a considered one from an engineering perspective.
I'm not really fussed if you believe me or not, my purpose isnt to look smart, its to try and bring some rationality into the discussion and ramp down some of the irrational hysteria and anxiety. Oh and of course the most important interest for me as someone with a passion for engineering is to find the technical answer.

Ciao

1 - 20 of 1075 Posts