Ford Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Audi is going to bury you in maintenance costs. I will never in my life own another one. (Says the guy with an RS that has mysterious cooling system issue)
Yeah, I'd be worried about owning an Audi (or BMW, or Mercedes) without a warranty.

Sadly, Audi's can't turn. You'll miss that part.
That was the part that surprised me. The S4 turns pretty well at canyon speeds. Was it at race track speeds that your Audi felt unwilling to turn?

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
If something happens to my FoRS, the Audi RS3 and Kia Stinger GT-2 are on the short list. Just as they were over 4 years ago when I chose the RS over those two vehicles. The 5-cylinder in the RS3 is unforgettable and I would buy the Stinger regardless of the badge it wears. I'd get a Golf R or Allroad before an S3, to each their own.

On a side note, the values of used RS are almost at MSRP if anyone is looking to try on something different.

Heeeeyyyy, that's my list! LOL!

Reactions: phillofoc

·
Registered
70 Posts
Audi’s inherent understeer is truly awful. It’s so bad that it is (in)famous in the car world for being so bad. Audi says they dial understeer into their cars to slow down inexperienced drivers. So is Audi confident in their chassis? Noo, noo they are not. And Hey, Audi even optioned the RS3 with wider front tires than the rear in order to reduce that gawd awful understeer and to try gain a little bit of credibility. Say that out loud to yourself…wider front tires than the rear to reduce understeer! Yuck. The 5 banger engine in the RS3 though, yes please, that thing is a beauty! But capable in the bends, like an RS, yeah not gonna happen.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
An interesting thread to read as an owner of a 2015 S4, 2017 Audi S5 and a 2016 RS. As mentioned, the Audi S4/5 platforms are far different than the RS, and have very different target buyers. First of, if you're considering an S4/5 you really must get the optional sport differential. Secondly, I much prefer the B8.5 models , specifically 2015 - 2017, as the best of the bred....supercharged V6, 7spd DSG, and most of the needed electronics in a slightly smaller body than the 2018 and onward models with a turbo V6 and ZF automatics.

The Audi is a sport sedan, upscale semi-luxury car with features that make for a remarkable daily and occasional backroad driver. If you lean towards the sport side, then upgrading the swaybars (rear, and optionally the front too) will raise the cornering capabilities. Also adding a CR15 front brace and an ALK lower brace will stiffen the chassis and further aid handling...all with minor changes in NVH (costs about $600 for bracing). Having the ADS adjustable suspension option will provide a substantial difference in ride quality for those long daily drives and allow for switching to stiffer mode for those canyon runs.

Maintenance and repair costs are something that you always should consider, and German cars ( RS is German too) have a reputation for $$ repairs....think BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. The good news is that the B8.5 Audi S4/5s (2014- 2017) have a good repair history. The supercharged V6, if left stock, is a durable workhorse with a delicious torque delivery and more than enough power for a sports sedan. Early DSG transmissions (2009 -2012) had some teething problems, but the 2015 and later are very reliable.

The known engine repairs are thermostat, water pump, and PCV failures (same issue many BMWs had with their plastic parts)....which tend to occur after 40k-50k mi (roughly $1200 -$1500 at dealer) The DSG needs fluids/filter changes every 40k mi ($500 at dealer). The other area that Audi's usually need repairs are in the front upper control arms. These can be replaced by most DIY's at home for under $200, plus an alignment....generally after 50k mi.

By comparison, my 2016 RS has been basically repair free (excluding HD recall related issues) and has Mountune springs, WL rear swybar, upgraded Rev 1 rear shocks as the primary upgrades..($1500). Plus a tune ($650).

When it comes to aggressive handling and tight/fast cornering...there is no question that the RS is the right tool for the job. But, when it comes to a DD and driving winding roads the Audi is no question the better car. I love all of them...the S4 is my do everything car... offers good styling, comfort, power and good all around capabilities. The S5 is the S4 with a better look/stance, 5 - 10% better handling, and the same delicious power delivery...but sacrifices some practicality over the 4 door S4.....more of a GT car.

Clearly the RS is a focused sport hatch that is tons of fun on the backroads...and I love it. The new S4/5, RS5, and RS3 are very quick and enjoyable cars, but they won't keep up with an RS in the really tight stuff, where the RS shines. On an open road all of the Audis will outshine the RS....bc they are designed to excel as a sporty/sport upscale daily driver.

·
Registered
106 Posts
2022 Audi RS3 is about to come out. Has a "Drift" mode and torque vectoring rear axle. How that transforms the car is yet TBD. But i hear the new Golf R has this system, so if the new Golf R is cornering better with it's new all wheel drive system, then there might be hope for the new RS3. It keeps pretty much the same engine and trans which are really stout so this might be the one to consider.

2022 Audi RS3 First Look: Small, Mighty, and Ready to Drift

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Seen the Golf R in action, its a great car but I would still keep my RS.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
An interesting thread to read as an owner of a 2015 S4, 2017 Audi S5 and a 2016 RS. As mentioned, the Audi S4/5 platforms are far different than the RS, and have very different target buyers. First of, if you're considering an S4/5 you really must get the optional sport differential. Secondly, I much prefer the B8.5 models , specifically 2015 - 2017, as the best of the bred....supercharged V6, 7spd DSG, and most of the needed electronics in a slightly smaller body that the 2018 and onward models with turbo ZF automatics.

The Audi is a sport sedan, upscale semi-luxury car with features that make for a remarkable daily and occasional backroad driver. If you lean towards the sport side, then upgrading the swaybars (rear, and optionally the front too) will raise the cornering capabilities. Also adding a CR15 front brace and an ALK lower brace will stiffen the chassis and further aid handling...all with minor changes in NVH (costs about $600 for bracing). Having the ADS adjustable suspension option will provide a substantial difference in ride quality for those long daily drives and allow for switching to stiffer mode for those canyon runs.

Maintenance and repair costs are something that you always should consider, and German cars ( RS is German too) have a reputation for $$ repairs....think BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. The good news is that the B8.5 Audi S4/5s (2014- 2017) have a good repair history. The supercharged V6, if left stock, is a durable workhorse with a delicious torque delivery and more than enough power for a sports sedan. Early DSG transmissions (2009 -2012) had some teething problems, but the 2015 and later are very reliable.

The known engine repairs are thermostat, water pump, and PCV failures (same issue many BMWs had with their plastic parts)....which tend to occur after 40k-50k mi (roughly $1200 -$1500 at dealer) The DSG needs fluids/filter changes every 40k mi ($500 at dealer). The other area that Audi's usually need repairs are in the front upper control arms. These can be replaced by most DIY's at home for under $200, plus an alignment....generally after 50k mi.

By comparison, my 2016 RS has been basically repair free (excluding HD recall related issues) and has Mountune springs, WL rear swybar, upgraded Rev 1 rear shocks as the primary upgrades..($1500).

When it comes to aggressive handling and tight/fast cornering...there is no question that the RS is the right tool for the job. But, when it comes to a DD and driving winding roads the Audi is no question the better car. I love all of them...the S4 is my do everything car... offers good styling, comfort, power and good all around capabilities. The S5 is the S4 with a better look/stance, 5 - 10% better handling, and the same delicious power delivery...but sacrifices some practicality over the 4 door S4.....more of a GT car.

Clearly the RS is a focused sport hatch that is tons of fun on the backroads...and I love it. The new S4/5, RS5, and RS3 are very quick and enjoyable cars, but they won't keep up with an RS in the really tight stuff, where the RS shines. On an open road all of the Audis will outshine the RS....bc they are designed to excel as a sporty/sport upscale daily driver.
Excellent comparison.
Cars, boats, RVs, guns, airplanes, to name a few, a well equipped person needs a minimum of 4, in any category, to cover most situations.
Edit: I guess that can go for personalities too. (@big jim, you ok?)

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Excellent comparison.
Cars, boats, RVs, guns, airplanes, to name a few, a well equipped person needs a minimum of 4, in any category, to cover most situations.
Edit: I guess that can go for personalities too. (@big jim, you ok?)
I don’t think I could handle 4 women. I like to think that I can but I know better. I would, however, like to add an M2 Competition to the mix.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Seen the Golf R in action, its a great car but I would still keep my RS.
I drove one back to back when I test drove the RS. The Golf R is an impressive machine from an engineering perspective, but man it was boring AF to drive. That's coming from someone that's owned 3 VWs & 3 Audis in my life. VW has engineered all of the fun out of their cars, Fahrvergnügen is dead.

..... I would, however, like to add an M2 Competition to the mix.
My cousin bought a M2 Competition earlier this year, wow that is a seriously impressive car. She hasn't been able to bring it out for autox yet, can't wait for that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I test drove an older 333hp S4 and found it sluggish compared to the RS. I think the S3 is like closer in class with the RS3 being the better upgrade for the added $60k sticker shock. Maybe the newer S4 closes that gap but Audi kept making them bigger and bigger losing that B4 V6 twin turbo monster from the 2000s.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,348 Posts
21 - 40 of 57 Posts