Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My brother recently purchased a second-hand Audi S4 with the S sport package that has the sportier torque vectoring and stiffened shocks. He let me drive it on some good mountain roads, and its torque vectoring reminded me of the Focus RS in Track mode. That is to say that the S4 is very neutral and true to your steering inputs while you are flinging it around corners.

While the S4 doesn't have the party piece Drift mode, it seems to me to be a nice move for Focus RS owners that tire of the RS's tight seats, flinty ride, or economy car roots. Obviously, being an Audi, the S4 has an impeccable interior with some cool current tech. The S4's seats are some of the cushiest and most comfortable I've sat in (and they have a rudimentary massage function too). And the S sport adaptive suspension can be used in full stiff mode without shaking your fillings loose. (It also has good body control in comfort mode.)

I go into a lot more details about the S4 here on my blog.

Certainly the Focus RS is rawer and rowdier, and more fun when flung about, but I could see owners moving to the S4 when they get cranky with the RS's compromises.

Anyone here make the move to the Audi S4 or S5? How was that for you?

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Hi all,

My brother recently purchased a second-hand Audi S4 with the S sport package that has the sportier torque vectoring and stiffened shocks. He let me drive it on some good mountain roads, and its torque vectoring reminded me of the Focus RS in Track mode. That is to say that the S4 is very neutral and true to your steering inputs while you are flinging it around corners.

While the S4 doesn't have the party piece Drift mode, it seems to me to be a nice move for Focus RS owners that tire of the RS's tight seats, flinty ride, or economy car roots. Obviously, being an Audi, the S4 has an impeccable interior with some cool current tech. The S4's seats are some of the cushiest and most comfortable I've sat in (and they have a rudimentary massage function too). And the S sport adaptive suspension can be used in full stiff mode without shaking your fillings loose. (It also has good body control in comfort mode.)

I go into a lot more details about the S4 here on my blog.

Certainly the Focus RS is rawer and rowdier, and more fun when flung about, but I could see owners moving to the S4 when they get cranky with the RS's compromises.

Anyone here make the move to the Audi S4 or S5? How was that for you?
You nailed it with raw & rowdy! I’m saving the S5 and golf, for when I grow up.

·
Registered
Sept/2016
343 Posts
If I'm buying one of those, its a B8 and that's it.

PS: I like your writing style. Nice concise review. Where's the RS review??

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I'm buying one of those, its a B8 and that's it.

PS: I like your writing style. Nice concise review. Where's the RS review??
Thanks! My Focus RS writing is all linked here:

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
The Focus RS was at the end of production cycle and the Audi RS3 is still going. I can get an RS3 still.

That and the manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus RS
143 Posts
Opening seemed trolly, but an obvious point the S series and RS lines of Audi are higher luxury than the RS hence the price tag but in all it’s still a highly depreciated S class Audi. Only value compared would be the RS series Audi. The RS3 if affordability wasn’t an issue to most on here would have probably been there first choice.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus RS
425 Posts
I was looking at the Audi RS3 when I was shopping around for my RS
I wasn’t quite looking for the RS3. It as an addition. I sold the Corvette and have the room now. I like the 2022 Golf R or 2022 RS3 to replace my Jetta which now occupies the Corvettes spot in the garage.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
"Economy car roots" like the S4 didn't start life as a passat LOL

• Haha
Reactions: SenderPiggins

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I wasn’t quite looking for the RS3. It as an addition. I sold the Corvette and have the room now. I like the 2022 Golf R or 2022 RS3 to replace my Jetta which now occupies the Corvettes spot in the garage.

I needed a back-up (or two) since the RS I have was the last MY 2018 NB is SoCal and Las Vegas.

Reactions: Yukon Corleone

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus RS
425 Posts
I needed a back-up (or two) since the RS I have was the last MY 2018 NB is SoCal and Las Vegas.
It’s always good to have a back-up and a back-up to the back-up as well as a reserve supply. I royally screwed up I could have bought a second 2018 RS but this one was NB, I would have a matched set.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
If something happens to my FoRS, the Audi RS3 and Kia Stinger GT-2 are on the short list. Just as they were over 4 years ago when I chose the RS over those two vehicles. The 5-cylinder in the RS3 is unforgettable and I would buy the Stinger regardless of the badge it wears. I'd get a Golf R or Allroad before an S3, to each their own.

On a side note, the values of used RS are almost at MSRP if anyone is looking to try on something different.

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sold my S5 for the RS - 2 very different cars!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Audi is going to bury you in maintenance costs. I will never in my life own another one. (Says the guy with an RS that has mysterious cooling system issue)

If you can buy the car cash, I would say get an RS3 if you're going to get an Audi. 5 bangers scream like nothing else and just bolt-ons and a tune will get you 10sec 1/4 miles all day.

Sadly, Audi's can't turn. You'll miss that part.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts