Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, please save me, I went to an Audi dealership with a friend last weekend and while he looked at some much more expensive cars I can't afford I sat in an S3. I absolutely loved the interior and remembered the pleasant experience I had driving an A3 on a business trip last year for 4 hours round trip. Then I read about the car and discovered that it's an amazing engine and 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are 4.4 - 4.6 and under 13 seconds. Oh yeah, and it weighs less than 3200lbs. With a tune it's an absolute beast although I'm sure the RS performance wise will outperform it.

My biggest dilemma is that I'm a business owner and meet customers frequently so the bullsh*t SoCal "Audi" image unfortunately matters somewhat. Plus I love the interior and have owned an A4 1.8T in the past which I loved so I'm familiar with the community. I haven't driven the S3 yet because...I'm scared. Please tell me I'm stupid and I should wait for the RS.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Guys, please save me, I went to an Audi dealership with a friend last weekend and while he looked at some much more expensive cars I can't afford I sat in an S3. I absolutely loved the interior and remembered the pleasant experience I had driving an A3 on a business trip last year for 4 hours round trip. Then I read about the car and discovered that it's an amazing engine and 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are 4.4 - 4.6 and under 13 seconds. Oh yeah, and it weighs less than 3200lbs. With a tune it's an absolute beast although I'm sure the RS performance wise will outperform it.

My biggest dilemma is that I'm a business owner and meet customers frequently so the bullsh*t SoCal "Audi" image unfortunately matters somewhat. Plus I love the interior and have owned an A4 1.8T in the past which I loved so I'm familiar with the community. I haven't driven the S3 yet because...I'm scared. Please tell me I'm stupid and I should wait for the RS.
Some people get different things out of owning a car, whether it is prestige, fun, beauty, the list goes on. The Audi does very well in some areas but when it comes to driving at the limit they don't. If you plan to take your hot hatch to a track or think about exploring anything above 70% of its capability then the RS is where to be, assuming Ford is spot on with the RS being a drivers car, but the proof is already there with the ST's. If you got an S3 and spent a lot of time near the limit you will be very disappointed, if you just cruise around and do the occasional mountain sprint it will be a great choice. To get an RS and never push it would be a shame, same with any of the ST's. To get an S3 and never push it, would be what the car is truly intended for and you may never find any faults at all with it.

Personal preference is what matters, but also your intentions. For me it's all about what the car gives back to me. I spend a lot of time pushing my vehicles very hard every day on my simple commute. I love my ST but it was built way too soft all around for my taste, this is where the RS comes in. For some the RS maybe too much, exhaust, gear noise, road noise ect , if these kind of things are a priority for you then I would at least wait to test drive an RS. If outright performance and communication are a huge part of what you like in a vehicle then the RS it is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I too am cross shopping the s3 but, the fact is, once optioned, an S3 is realistically closer to 50k. So you are looking at a 10-15 grand price difference between that and an RS most likely. This is why I will wait for the RS. Also, there are wide discrepancy's on how fast the S3 actually is. Car and driver got ridiculously good numbers, and no one else came remotely close to those in magazines or real world testing so I do not think it is as fast in stock form as you may think. The third thing comes down to fun factor. Manual vs Auto, fun vs sophisticated. For me, I wanted a fun drivers car and I just firmly believe the Focus RS will be a hell of a lot more fun then the S3. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The 2015 Volkswagen Golf R Is Proof VW Doesn't Really Hate Us

S3 = tarted up Golf R (they share the same drive train), thus the extra cost of the S3 is basically for the Audi badging and brand, and maybe a better interior (or maybe not, since by all accounts the Golf R interior is pretty good already). You're essentially buying fluff for fluff's sake.

What do you do, that you have to meet clients so frequently and have to impress them with your Audi-ness?

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are stupid and should wait for the RS.

The S3 is a fat nose heavy pig. Compared to the RS, it's no contest so says the Ford Engineer I spoke with.

Lastly, be the guy who sets the bar and educate your clients, show them what a real performance daily driver looks like.
Lol love this...I'm certain the RS will kick the S3's ass performance wise but weight wise, I swear I read that it weighs a little over 3100lbs which puts it at significantly less than my current ST. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this. I would love to be...(err ok I just reread what you said and I'm pretty sure you mean "nose heavy" which is different than heavy overall. Noted.

Some people get different things out of owning a car, whether it is prestige, fun, beauty, the list goes on. The Audi does very well in some areas but when it comes to driving at the limit they don't. If you plan to take your hot hatch to a track or think about exploring anything above 70% of its capability then the RS is where to be, assuming Ford is spot on with the RS being a drivers car, but the proof is already there with the ST's. If you got an S3 and spent a lot of time near the limit you will be very disappointed, if you just cruise around and do the occasional mountain sprint it will be a great choice. To get an RS and never push it would be a shame, same with any of the ST's. To get an S3 and never push it, would be what the car is truly intended for and you may never find any faults at all with it.

Personal preference is what matters, but also your intentions. For me it's all about what the car gives back to me. I spend a lot of time pushing my vehicles very hard every day on my simple commute. I love my ST but it was built way too soft all around for my taste, this is where the RS comes in. For some the RS maybe too much, exhaust, gear noise, road noise ect , if these kind of things are a priority for you then I would at least wait to test drive an RS. If outright performance and communication are a huge part of what you like in a vehicle then the RS it is.
Damnit I want it ALL! I think you're right though and this has me leaning towards the RS. I'm definitely a driver before anything else. I like to drive hard and have a car I don't have to baby. I also really want a car that can handle a few track days a year. Driving is my main form of stress relief. I think I just had a different impression from reading the few different things that I did that the S3 was different than other Audis like the S4 in this regard and can handle itself well. I'm not sure I totally agree with the fact that an S3 wasn't meant to be pushed.

I too am cross shopping the s3 but, the fact is, once optioned, an S3 is realistically closer to 50k. So you are looking at a 10-15 grand price difference between that and an RS most likely. This is why I will wait for the RS. Also, there are wide discrepancy's on how fast the S3 actually is. Car and driver got ridiculously good numbers, and no one else came remotely close to those in magazines or real world testing so I do not think it is as fast in stock form as you may think. The third thing comes down to fun factor. Manual vs Auto, fun vs sophisticated. For me, I wanted a fun drivers car and I just firmly believe the Focus RS will be a hell of a lot more fun then the S3. Hope this helps.
Price is definitely a big thing but I guess I'm willing to pay a bit more for "prestige" (although I'm certain this has never really kept me from closing a deal). I optioned it out with what I would want, mainly the S Sport seats and performance package and I got to $47k MSRP and I wouldn't pay a dime over $44k for it.

The 2015 Volkswagen Golf R Is Proof VW Doesn't Really Hate Us

S3 = tarted up Golf R (they share the same drive train), thus the extra cost of the S3 is basically for the Audi badging and brand, and maybe a better interior (or maybe not, since by all accounts the Golf R interior is pretty good already). You're essentially buying fluff for fluff's sake.

What do you do, that you have to meet clients so frequently and have to impress them with your Audi-ness?
I'm not considering the Golf R because the RS kills it in my mind. It provides non of the prestige the Audi would, it's still a hatchback, and the RS will eat it for breakfast so there is absolutely no reason for it. I'm pretty confident the Audi interior is nicer, especially with the S Sport Seat package with the fine Nappa leather which has me drooling. I'm CEO of an IT B2B services company.

Thanks for the input guys, really helping settle me down.

·
Registered
203 Posts
RS 0-60 times? No way VW is a competitor

If rumors are true of ~345hp the RS should be under 4.0 stock. That's what I'd expect anyway. 3.8-3.9.
Where are you getting less than 4 seconds, everywhere else is speculating mid 4s ? :confused:

With near perfect shifting, perhaps. I still think the R will the RS a run for its money.
No way! R will have trouble seeing the RS taillights even at only 0-60 in 4.5 seconds :cool:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Don't forget the RS is suppose to be more then just a sum of its numbers, a true drivers car. Even if it is .5 secs slower to 60 or in the 1/4, it should bring an experience to the driver that nothing can rival in its price range.

I am very curious with 0-60 times though, those Cup2s grip hard :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
So let's see a modded (Neuspeed Power Module for +5psi boost) Volkswagen R with launch control lowers the 0-60 time by 0.8 seconds to 4.0 Looks like the RS will moddable; then we will compare apples-to-apples.

I thought about buying the previous R32 but the test drive just wasn't exciting -pretty Ho-Hum - just like the You-Tube video you posted. My current ST is more fun than the "R", albeit slower.

The RS wins out for me for many reasons. I take it you are getting the "R"; to each his own :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where are you getting less than 4 seconds, everywhere else is speculating mid 4s ?
Mostly out of my ass :) I'm just assuming that if the S3 and R with less than 300hp are at 4.5 another 45hp should get you below 4. I was forgetting about DSG though, that's definitely a big factor.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So let's see a modded (Neuspeed Power Module for +5psi boost) Volkswagen R with launch control lowers the 0-60 time by 0.8 seconds to 4.0 Looks like the RS will moddable; then we will compare apples-to-apples.

I thought about buying the previous R32 but the test drive just wasn't exciting -pretty Ho-Hum - just like the You-Tube video you posted. My current ST is more fun than the "R", albeit slower.

The RS wins out for me for many reasons. I take it you are getting the "R"; to each his own :rolleyes:
Yeah you can't compare a tuned R to a stock RS...as we know the 2.3 ecoboost can get to 400hp with weaker internals on the Stang so the modded road is a slippery slope for the competition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was only trying to imply that lap times will be close between the two cars. Each car has its strengths. I'm leaning toward the RS at the moment, but mainly because I can't stand the DSG farts. And if I'm going manual, I think the RS is a better fit for me. For now, I'll keep enjoying the STI.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After much deliberation and some discussions with dealers, then seeing new colors and more news on the RS I'm back to "OMG I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS CAR TO GET HERE!!!!!"

This community is awesome and so is the ST one. I went on Audizine and VWVortex looking for enthusiasts of the S3 but not much action honestly. Cars are no fun when you don't have good car people to share the enthusiasm with. (Well, not as much fun at least.)

...back to sitting on my hands.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't worry about numbers, just get in and drive each one, that'll tell you which one you want. I wanted a WRX STI for as long as I can remember, on paper it's my ideal car, however when I could finally afford it a year ago I took it for a test drive and had fun but...then I went for a spin in the ST and I'm sure you can guess which one I ended up going with since I'm on this forum lol. The STI is technically a 'better' car than the ST, but the ST puts a smile on my face. Same thing for the GTI or the R...in many ways they're better cars, but to me they felt too subtle, too comfortable, too in-control. I worry the RS will lose some of the silliness that makes the ST so fun, but I'm still going to try for one lol

·
Registered
203 Posts
Don't worry about numbers, just get in and drive each one, that'll tell you which one you want. I wanted a WRX STI for as long as I can remember, on paper it's my ideal car, however when I could finally afford it a year ago I took it for a test drive and had fun but...then I went for a spin in the ST and I'm sure you can guess which one I ended up going with since I'm on this forum lol. The STI is technically a 'better' car than the ST, but the ST puts a smile on my face. Same thing for the GTI or the R...in many ways they're better cars, but to me they felt too subtle, too comfortable, too in-control. I worry the RS will lose some of the silliness that makes the ST so fun, but I'm still going to try for one lol
RyguyC,

I completely agree with you VW's too subtle and for some reason the STI didn't do it for me just. I am very pleased with the ST ...but the RS will be awesome. Especially if it drifts better than the S2000 :cool:

1 - 20 of 96 Posts