Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1621 - 1640 of 1706 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I'll try this too. I don't care how I look - seeing is more important. Did you peel the tape off and reapply before every run or did you leave it on all day?
In the beginning of the day, I would take it off in between sessions since we are all hanging out outside in the paddock while we wait, but the medical tape I had was pretty sticky/grippy and was starting to irritate my skin after every removal by lunch time. After lunch, I ended up just leaving it on for the rest of the day no problem. Nice thing is, if I needed a drink or something, I just lift the mask from the bottom (with the tape acting like a hinge point) to get access.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Vented N95s are the 2nd best mask you can wear to protect yourself. They are only one step below non-venting N95s, and do a better job at protecting yourself than bandannas or t-shirt sleeves that you see so many people wearing.

I get why you and many people don't like them, you think they disregard the safety of others. But if you're blind and a danger to those around you when wearing a non-vented mask, I would much rather you wear a vented mask especially while participating in dangerous activities.

I don't hate on vented masks, particularly when they are being worn by people with glasses and I don't hate on vented masks because they are better than no mask at all.

·
Registered
176 Posts
^^before I get roasted on that I just want to clarify that my response is only to be taken in context of the op's question and his participation in HPDE events and the requirement to wear a mask during the event - I am aware of CDC guidelines and that vented masks are generally not acceptable as they don't protect others from COVID exposure. It is assumed that the op is signing a questionnaire stating they do not have symptoms nor have been in contact with anyone that has had symptoms within a certain amount of time prior to the event. It is also assumed that people participating in the event, including the instructors, are aware of the risks in being within close proximity to other people who may unwittingly have come into contact with COVID and that even when wearing the highest quality of PPE the risks of contracting COVID are still present.

I'm just saying I don't want the dude driving around a racetrack with foggy glasses.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Vented N95s are the 2nd best mask you can wear to protect yourself. They are only one step below non-venting N95s, and do a better job at protecting yourself than bandannas or t-shirt sleeves that you see so many people wearing.

I get why you and many people don't like them, you think they disregard the safety of others. But if you're blind and a danger to those around you when wearing a non-vented mask, I would much rather you wear a vented mask especially while participating in dangerous activities.

I don't hate on vented masks, particularly when they are being worn by people with glasses and I don't hate on vented masks because they are better than no mask at all.
I won’t continue this further but I will give you 4 suggestions:

Don’t resort to name calling to cover up a weak argument
Do your research and don’t spread misinformation
Consider surgeons and dentists who carry out their fine detail and vision dependent jobs while wearing non-vented masks and glasses
Don’t be selfish

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
Gentlemen, I do respect everyone's opinion.

However, please respect this thread as well, no flaming please.

I hope you guys/gals are doing well.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
No, you definitely don’t want to be “that guy”. I also wear glasses and struggle with fogging at times. Try this on an empty parking lot before the autocross; While sitting in your car with the window down, put your mask on and remove your glasses. Sit there for a minute (like waiting to start) then slip your glasses back on and immediately start driving around the lot, with your windows down. The air coming in your windows and circulating in your car should be enough to keep your glasses from fogging while moving. If your helmet has a face visor, remove it or raise it.

See if that helps. I’m not aware of any other remedies. Also, if nothing works, please be respectful of other people and just wait to autocross until this mess clears up. My region asks that nobody even post videos or pics from events for fear of bad press. Like someone being seen in close proximity to someone else with no mask on.
I wear glasses & like others in this thread, have the same difficulty. I notice that if I'm walking outside & there's a breeze, the fogging is far less of a problem. So based on that, I'd be willing to bet that @Slurve's solution will work well for you. Additionally keeping the windows down should help ventilate any potential germs & keep you both a bit safer. I think this is the route that I would take if it were me. If you have a sunroof, open that sucker up too. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Same! Between us we had 5. Sold the last one last fall to a 78 yr. old, heading to the Adirondack Mts. for fall foliage. God bless him.
Miss this one the most...
Hot dog! A GS1100! Looks like we have something else in common besides an RS. I love the stock wheels on the GS's.

I finished up converting this free '81 GS450L into a scrambler a couple years ago:

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Hot dog! A GS1100! Looks like we have something else in common besides an RS. I love the stock wheels on the GS's.

I finished up converting this free '81 GS450L into a scrambler a couple years ago:
View attachment 349611
Well done! All the right stuff!
My intention was, drop the front of the tank a scoch, move the tail piece up to the top of the rear shock, solo seat, rear sets, & drag bars. She was just to cherry to saw up....
Sorry RSers...bikes are important too.🥰

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Another stupid question incoming! At what voltage should you change out your battery? I'm not having any real "symptoms" operationally speaking. I just happened to notice because now when I turn the ignition to on (without turning on the engine), a message will pop up pretty quickly on the SYNC screen saying to start the engine or turn it off to save battery. And when I went to add the custom driving mode in FORScan the other day, after the car was only sitting overnight, it gave me the message of "expecting 11.6V, but actual reading is 11.3V," or something like that. I just took a reading with my multimeter after letting the car sit overnight, and it's reading 12.32V (everything off)

The only reason I ask is because I will be installing my ethanol sensor soon, so I will have to remove the battery anyways. And since it's kind of a pain to change batteries (since you have to remove the air box), I'm wondering if I should just buy a new battery and swap now since I'll have everything apart. I'd just be going with another Motorcraft battery, as this one is the factory original, and I've had it since December 2016 (put about 31K miles on it so far). It's a couple hundred bucks, so I'd like to get as much out of the OG battery before I switch. But if it's only going to last me a couple more months, I might as well just swap it now. How long are folks factory batteries lasting? Thoughts?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Another stupid question incoming! At what voltage should you change out your battery? I'm not having any real "symptoms" operationally speaking. I just happened to notice because now when I turn the ignition to on (without turning on the engine), a message will pop up pretty quickly on the SYNC screen saying to start the engine or turn it off to save battery. And when I went to add the custom driving mode in FORScan the other day, after the car was only sitting overnight, it gave me the message of "expecting 11.6V, but actual reading is 11.3V," or something like that. I just took a reading with my multimeter after letting the car sit overnight, and it's reading 12.32V (everything off)

The only reason I ask is because I will be installing my ethanol sensor soon, so I will have to remove the battery anyways. And since it's kind of a pain to change batteries (since you have to remove the air box), I'm wondering if I should just buy a new battery and swap now since I'll have everything apart. I'd just be going with another Motorcraft battery, as this one is the factory original, and I've had it since December 2016 (put about 31K miles on it so far). It's a couple hundred bucks, so I'd like to get as much out of the OG battery before I switch. But if it's only going to last me a couple more months, I might as well just swap it now. How long are folks factory batteries lasting? Thoughts?
I used to have a boss about 10 years ago who used to say "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers ;) " - so here is mine. I actually replaced mine after 3 years of owning the car even though I hadn't seen anything adverse but I did see it dropping below 12.4V overnight so I decided to not wait for issues to start popping up... I also used an OEM Motorcraft battery as the price from the dealer was OK and if you order through the fordparts.com website you can get 10% discount if you use a brand new e-mail address to register. The only snag was getting the core refund back - I had to bug them a few times before it finally showed back on my card but it eventually did happen.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Mine was made 9/23/16 and is going OK.
I store winters on a trickle. Summers I don’t use air much, do run the stereo, always turn off auto stop/start, run mostly country anyway. The battery is usually around 12.5v +- a very little.
I feel lucky to have it last this long, but yours is that old too. If it fails this spring, I’d feel like I got my money’s worth.
I do plan to just use OEM. All that shopping to save a few pounds would mean nothing on an otherwise stock car. (lazy)
BTW, it was on Buffalo news this morning, today is National Battery Day. ? Really ? Who thinks that up?

1621 - 1640 of 1706 Posts