Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1601 - 1620 of 1706 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah. I currently have a Mountune tune done by @Randy a few years ago with the 4 slots. In the next couple months, I'm gonna get another tune for E30 from him. I'm thinking of having it set up like this:
  1. E30 map
  2. 91ACN map (for the times I don't have access to E85)
  3. Zero Boost map (for driving while the car is still warming up) based off 91ACN parameters
  4. Crappy gas map (in case I fill up with a bad batch)
He's finishing up my e40 tune now. Worth the bucks!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Yeah. I currently have a Mountune tune done by @Randy a few years ago with the 4 slots. In the next couple months, I'm gonna get another tune for E30 from him. I'm thinking of having it set up like this:
  1. E30 map
  2. 91ACN map (for the times I don't have access to E85)
  3. Zero Boost map (for driving while the car is still warming up) based off 91ACN parameters
  4. Crappy gas map (in case I fill up with a bad batch)
Unless he's changed his policy recently, I believe he doesn't do the whole "slot for E30" deal due to safety. You can very easily f*ck up your car if the ecu thinks you're on one fuel when you actually are on another. He prefers having a specific tune for other fuels so that you have to actively flash the tune instead of just switching maps.

·
Registered
2018 NB LE
37 Posts
For those of you who have done the Mountune radiator upgrade. How much coolant did you need to replace? I know the car takes 7.3 quarts total so is a gallon enough if I don't plan to drain the block or anything else?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Unless he's changed his policy recently, I believe he doesn't do the whole "slot for E30" deal due to safety. You can very easily f*ck up your car if the ecu thinks you're on one fuel when you actually are on another. He prefers having a specific tune for other fuels so that you have to actively flash the tune instead of just switching maps.
I've accidentally used the wrong map with the wrong fuel, and the only thing that happens is a fuel cutout when boost hits. Of course this happens just once and then I back off and ensure I'm on the correct map.

To my knowledge when this happens, the engine/ECU recognizes the issue and cuts fuel to save itself... no harm done.

Am I misinformed?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I've accidentally used the wrong map with the wrong fuel, and the only thing that happens is a fuel cutout when boost hits. Of course this happens just once and then I back off and ensure I'm on the correct map.

To my knowledge when this happens, the engine/ECU recognizes the issue and cuts fuel to save itself... no harm done.

Am I misinformed?
I honestly have no idea, just relaying what he has told me when I was requesting an E30 slot. I too have done the same, but the otherway around: I was on my 91 slot with E30 in the tank, did a data loggind pull, so the ECU was just happily adding timing lol. My fuel trims looked weird, but other than that, nothing happened.

I guess that's good that the ECU is smart enough to save it self. I figured as much.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Anyone here running, or know anyone who is running, 265's on 9.5" wheels and stock suspension?

Wondering if this setup works well with the ginormous stock struts.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Anyone here running, or know anyone who is running, 265's on 9.5" wheels and stock suspension?

Wondering if this setup works well with the ginormous stock struts.
I used to run that size on pirelli dh slicks as a track set while on stock suspension. It had poke but I didn't really care.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
I used to run that size on pirelli dh slicks as a track set while on stock suspension. It had poke but I didn't really care.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
What offset wheels?

Bonus point: how far away in mm from inner strut was the tire?

·
Registered
239 Posts
What offset wheels?

Bonus point: how far away in mm from inner strut was the tire?
I was running Used Pirellis 265/660/18 18x9.5 +35 TSW Bathurst. I dont know the answer to the bonus question, but I never found any markings from rub on the struts after a couple track days and handful of autox on 3 wheels.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I thought about starting a thread for this in the Racing subsection, but here we are...

I got an email last night from my local SCCA chapter kicking off the season. Most of it was about COVID protocols. I get the need to wear masks and wash hands so don't crucify me for that. However, since I am running novice and will have an instructor in the car the rules are that I have to wear a mask while driving. I wear glasses. I can't sit and have a normal conversation without my glasses fogging up with a mask on. I have tried every remedy I've read with no solution to the fogging problem. I can't wear contacts and my vision is pretty crappy without glasses so taking them off isn't an option.

I don't want to be that guy at these events, but I don't know what to do. I'm sure the instructor doesn't want to look over at me while going through some turns at speed and realize my glasses are totally fogged.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I thought about starting a thread for this in the Racing subsection, but here we are...

I got an email last night from my local SCCA chapter kicking off the season. Most of it was about COVID protocols. I get the need to wear masks and wash hands so don't crucify me for that. However, since I am running novice and will have an instructor in the car the rules are that I have to wear a mask while driving. I wear glasses. I can't sit and have a normal conversation without my glasses fogging up with a mask on. I have tried every remedy I've read with no solution to the fogging problem. I can't wear contacts and my vision is pretty crappy without glasses so taking them off isn't an option.

I don't want to be that guy at these events, but I don't know what to do. I'm sure the instructor doesn't want to look over at me while going through some turns at speed and realize my glasses are totally fogged.
No, you definitely don’t want to be “that guy”. I also wear glasses and struggle with fogging at times. Try this on an empty parking lot before the autocross; While sitting in your car with the window down, put your mask on and remove your glasses. Sit there for a minute (like waiting to start) then slip your glasses back on and immediately start driving around the lot, with your windows down. The air coming in your windows and circulating in your car should be enough to keep your glasses from fogging while moving. If your helmet has a face visor, remove it or raise it.

See if that helps. I’m not aware of any other remedies. Also, if nothing works, please be respectful of other people and just wait to autocross until this mess clears up. My region asks that nobody even post videos or pics from events for fear of bad press. Like someone being seen in close proximity to someone else with no mask on.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts

I have this very same problem. I don't have much of a bridge on my nose, so most masks do not seal up well, so I use the ol medical/sports tape trick and try to "seal" the gap between the mask and my nose and cheeks. Yes, I look ridiculous, but I was fog free and that sucker was not going anywhere (no need to adjust while your hands are occupied).

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have this very same problem. I don't have much of a bridge on my nose, so most masks do not seal up well, so I use the ol medical/sports tape trick and try to "seal" the gap between the mask and my nose and cheeks. Yes, I look ridiculous, but I was fog free and that sucker was not going anywhere (no need to adjust while your hands are occupied).
I'll try this too. I don't care how I look - seeing is more important. Did you peel the tape off and reapply before every run or did you leave it on all day?

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
If you use a KN-95 style mask, you can put the bottom of the frame right over the top of the mask. It spaces it a bit from your face to allow more air through and avoid the fog. You can also try to medical tape trick mentioned above, but I've found the placement to be more important.

1601 - 1620 of 1706 Posts