Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1441 - 1457 of 1457 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Warning : old guy theory to follow
Im sticking to the mindset, that this car will be a milestone. Original examples will be rarest. Modified can be returned to stock.
If you do sell it, it isn’t uncommon, to see people looking for “unmolested“ (sorry) cars. I’m not suggesting deceit.
I also agree, selling off mods before a sale, especially a trade in, makes sense.
If you have the room, I’d keep all original parts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
So you bring up an interesting point. Before I bought my car I looked at one that was (somewhat) local and, upon opening the hood, saw mods and walked away. When I found the one that I eventually bought, I saw no mods but asked the dealer for consent to contact the previous owner. I wanted to get a little history on the car and to ask if there had EVER been mods done. He was an older guy, like me, and assured me nothing was done. Said he traded it in after putting only 6000 miles on it bc it rode too rough. I later found out the shipping blocks were still on the springs.
I have Nothing against owners who want to ‘passionately’ modify their cars and, in fact, I enjoy reading about them. I’m just confirming what GmpaJim stated above... a lot of people want a car that hasn’t been modded.

Might be an interesting poll question.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Shipping blocks has triggered....Story Time!
Early 60s, a local oil producer buys a new Cadillac. He hates it. Rough beyond description. Weeks after buying it, he trades for a Lincoln. The problem was tire pressure.
A friend of mine, had an after school detailing job and figured it out.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Warning : old guy theory to follow
Im sticking to the mindset, that this car will be a milestone. Original examples will be rarest. Modified can be returned to stock.
If you do sell it, it isn’t uncommon, to see people looking for “unmolested“ (sorry) cars. I’m not suggesting deceit.
I also agree, selling off mods before a sale, especially a trade in, makes sense.
If you have the room, I’d keep all original parts.
I’ve kept stock parts for every car. Even engines... last car I sold was returned to stock and serviced before I sold it. I drove it for about a month after returning it to stock and I thought it was much nicer to daily in stock form. Someone is still abusing it to this day!

Mods are not an investment and don’t add any value to the car. The only way to get any return is to swap back to stock and sell the aftermarket parts and it’s not always worth the hassle. Even when the mods are done right you rarely find the right buyer at the right time.

When I see a highly modified car at a dealer I think “Why was this traded in? What issues does it have?” Sometimes the previous owner doesn’t have the time, skill, or stock parts to swap it back. Sometimes the car is a turd and the previous owner is dumping it.

The RS isn’t rare and DD models typically have too much wear to be collectable. Rare cars suck to DD. Ever spend months or years looking for parts? All in all, the RS is a fun car the US was longing after for years. We finally got a taste, just before they yanked it away....

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I’ve kept stock parts for every car. Even engines... last car I sold was returned to stock and serviced before I sold it. I drove it for about a month after returning it to stock and I thought it was much nicer to daily in stock form. Someone is still abusing it to this day!

Mods are not an investment and don’t add any value to the car. The only way to get any return is to swap back to stock and sell the aftermarket parts and it’s not always worth the hassle. Even when the mods are done right you rarely find the right buyer at the right time.

When I see a highly modified car at a dealer I think “Why was this traded in? What issues does it have?” Sometimes the previous owner doesn’t have the time, skill, or stock parts to swap it back. Sometimes the car is a turd and the previous owner is dumping it.

The RS isn’t rare and DD models typically have too much wear to be collectable. Rare cars suck to DD. Ever spend months or years looking for parts? All in all, the RS is a fun car the US was longing after for years. We finally got a taste, just before they yanked it away....
For conversation sake, I said, the “stock“ RS would be rare. But, 32,032 worldwide at least rates uncommon.
“Collectable“ can be subjective too. My first new car was a 1968 VW bug, the most produced car in history. They’re now collectible. Who saw that one coming? I actually don’t like that word. It hints at value. DeLorean is rare (uncommon), are sought after (collected), and not worth that much. Same for the Buick Grand National.
Already, there are people searching this forum for cars. As you said DDs wear out. Then there’s crash out.
Lets not go with collectible, I’d settle for, cars of interest in the collector world.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
@RSt~n~peace i know exactly what you mean. When trading in my foST to get the foRS, a few buddies and I spent the day thrashing on it returning to stock. Drove it a couple days and realized it was just as fast, handled just as well, more comfortable and NOT a heat-score with police.

told myself I wouldn’t modify the RS too much..... hmm...

·
Premium Member
4,804 Posts
@RSt~n~peace i know exactly what you mean. When trading in my foST to get the foRS, a few buddies and I spent the day thrashing on it returning to stock. Drove it a couple days and realized it was just as fast, handled just as well, more comfortable and NOT a heat-score with police.

How did that work out for you?

😂

·
Premium Member
4,804 Posts
I went through my mod phase on my old EG, from bolts to brakes, alternator to wiring to sounds.

Same on my Evo IX and tried to dial it down on my X.

On the RS I said I will just do aftermaket that was offered from Ford (what they offered through the Ford Performance catalog) and that's it.

Well I ventured on my own for the weathertech stuff.... then the tint and ppf...... colltech license plate bracket...... YLCNCS rear plate bracket and pedal spacer........ and it goes down hill from there. I still have boxes of parts to install.

Some gamble, some drink, some goes to strip clubs, some do drugs. I mod cars (well, and buy car merch)

The only OE part I have sold is the front license bracket. I know it will be a cold day in hell before I install that!

·
Registered
646 Posts

I said I wouldn’t mod the RS at all! Then the suspension was too bouncy for my messed up neck. All down hill since then.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know it’s a huge jump but I would like to get into tuning my own stuff. I have an understanding of how engines work but don’t know where to start with what programs to use or what to start tweaking. I have looked at HP tuners and it seems pretty user friendly but I’d love to get my hands on lots of detailed documents explaining what all the different parameters do and how they effect the car, power delivery, ect. I’ve been reading the data logs posted on here and trying to figure it all out but idk where to go to start learning how to do all this. If like to one day branch out to my other vehicles. If someone could point in the direction of a tuning corse or some books on how to get started I’d be forever thankful 🙏

·
Premium Member
4,804 Posts
I know it’s a huge jump but I would like to get into tuning my own stuff. I have an understanding of how engines work but don’t know where to start with what programs to use or what to start tweaking. I have looked at HP tuners we ch seems pretty user friendly but I’d love to get my hands on lots of detailed documents explaining what all the different parameters do and how they effect the car. I’ve been reading the data log posts and trying to figure it all out but idk where to go to start learning how to do all this. If someone could point in the direction of like a tuning corse or some books on how to get started I’d be forever thankful 🙏

I lifetime ago I poke around on my tune with the Cobb AccessTuner. I guess they require for you to take a class now to download it:

Also found this in HP Academy:

Reactions: RichardThill

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I’ll second the Cobb tuning suggestion. There Cobb U cleared up a lot of fog for me in the beginning. Pretty basic compared to The HP Academy, which looks like the real deal. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought the car to tune, wrench, upgrade and enjoy every mod as it comes. That's half the enjoyment for me. If I just wanted a collector car I would have bought an NSX and let it collect dust. If I wanted to go A-B I'd drive a corolla or something.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I know it’s a huge jump but I would like to get into tuning my own stuff. I have an understanding of how engines work but don’t know where to start with what programs to use or what to start tweaking. I have looked at HP tuners and it seems pretty user friendly but I’d love to get my hands on lots of detailed documents explaining what all the different parameters do and how they effect the car, power delivery, ect. I’ve been reading the data logs posted on here and trying to figure it all out but idk where to go to start learning how to do all this. If like to one day branch out to my other vehicles. If someone could point in the direction of a tuning corse or some books on how to get started I’d be forever thankful
Not quite what you're asking, but if you do plan on going the Cobb AP route, I found the tuning guide a fascinating read. It will at least give you some idea of how the ecoboost ecu works.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I bought the car to tune, wrench, upgrade and enjoy every mod as it comes. That's half the enjoyment for me. If I just wanted a collector car I would have bought an NSX and let it collect dust. If I wanted to go A-B I'd drive a corolla or something.
Everyone’s different and I appreciate those that want to tinker with their RS.

My enjoyment comes from autocrossing in the stock (street) class AND driving my RS A-B, Y-Z and all points in between. Even though I have no mods it certainly isn’t what I’d call a collector car. Unfortunately, I don’t commute anymore and she sits in the garage during the week a lot more than she used to 🙁.

At some point, after the warranty runs out (2025), I may tune her and add a few minor mods.

1441 - 1457 of 1457 Posts