Ford Focus RS Forum banner
2361 - 2380 of 2386 Posts

· Premium Member
723 Posts
One of the few “pecks” I have on the front of my RS was caused by me staging too close to a GT3 at the start line at an autocross. He tore out and threw a small rock that got me. I recommended mud flaps (as a joke) but he poo-poo’d the idea. 💩

· Registered
2,781 Posts
Subaru question.

i have a 2010 STi, almost bone stock. No tunes, no power mods etc it’s just the daily driver. For those of you who don’t know, Subarus are extremely sensitive to mods and tunes. The stock fueling is meant for stock parts. If you add an intake and downpipe you NEED to tune, the oem fuel tables can’t handle the extra flow and you’ll go lean and pop the motor.

my mods are just a k&n panel filter (stock intake) and a muffler delete (oem rusted off), no tune or anything.

anyways, I just put on a 50/50 BOV for fun. I like the pishhh noises lol and I miss it since I rarely drive the focus now. People on the STi forums are brutal and think the motor is going to blow because there’s a BOV and no tune.

am I totally wrong for this? The STi runs a MAP sensor, it’s not an old school AFM. And even if “already measured air” is being released via the BOV, that means the engine will momentarily run rich. Rich = safe, lean = dangerous.

I think it will be just fine. Sure I might lose a little throttle response but it’s just a daily, I want the pishhhh

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

· Registered
2018 NB LE
86 Posts
Anyone know where to find the power cable between the HID ballasts and the bulb? Looks like mine failed and from what I have seen on the forum you have to buy an entire headlight assembly to get one.

Pic below for the cable I am referencing:

Automotive lighting Musical instrument accessory Gas Automotive exterior Font

· Registered
310 Posts
Subaru question.

i have a 2010 STi, almost bone stock. No tunes, no power mods etc it’s just the daily driver. For those of you who don’t know, Subarus are extremely sensitive to mods and tunes. The stock fueling is meant for stock parts. If you add an intake and downpipe you NEED to tune, the oem fuel tables can’t handle the extra flow and you’ll go lean and pop the motor.

my mods are just a k&n panel filter (stock intake) and a muffler delete (oem rusted off), no tune or anything.

anyways, I just put on a 50/50 BOV for fun. I like the pishhh noises lol and I miss it since I rarely drive the focus now. People on the STi forums are brutal and think the motor is going to blow because there’s a BOV and no tune.

am I totally wrong for this? The STi runs a MAP sensor, it’s not an old school AFM. And even if “already measured air” is being released via the BOV, that means the engine will momentarily run rich. Rich = safe, lean = dangerous.

I think it will be just fine. Sure I might lose a little throttle response but it’s just a daily, I want the pishhhh

View attachment 364615
I’d take it off as theoretically every time the bov evacuates the air instead of recirculating the turbo is now less efficient causing a rich condition but idk. I literally did two passes at the drag strip with launch control in my 2011 sti sedan white (definitely was a keeper) and fried the engine. Put back to stock, got a new engine, broke in perfectly, Cobb pro tuned and the works. Ran low boost. Pop goes the weasel again. Got a fiesta st and then Rs and never looked back. I would love my 2011 with a built motor tho. That car handled amazingly and was just and overall higher traction experience in all setting.

But, yea, I would remove. I love the hatch STIs. Keep it alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2018 NB LE
86 Posts
Anyone have tips on polishing and cleaning the end tank and fins on my ets intercooler? It's seen a few winters and this spring I plan on refinishing it since I no longer drive it in the winter.
I've used Ospho a few times for cleaning exhausts and other undercarriage exposed metals with good results. I know it is safe to use on aluminum as well so shouldn't be any issues there. Just use a green scotch scrub pad for any tougher spots and it shouldn't take too long to do.

· Registered
2,781 Posts
@wobbletop @SUBAFST odd since there seems to also be a MAP sensor ¯\(ツ)/¯ and I’m pretty sure momentarily going rich will have no adverse effects.

as for the STi, I’m at 290k km on the original ej257, even on the original clutch. Replaced the plugs/coilpacks/maintenance items the other month, did a compression test and was ~142psi across the board cold. So not planning on blowing it up any time soon lol.

· Registered
310 Posts
@wobbletop @SUBAFST odd since there seems to also be a MAP sensor ¯\(ツ)/¯ and I’m pretty sure momentarily going rich will have no adverse effects.

as for the STi, I’m at 290k km on the original ej257, even on the original clutch. Replaced the plugs/coilpacks/maintenance items the other month, did a compression test and was ~142psi across the board cold. So not planning on blowing it up any time soon lol.
I think from what I remember is that the car doesn’t have a modern air fuel sensor. It only work off the Subaru logic and tables so it’s up to you kemosabe or whatever lol

· Registered
176 Posts
I recently changed from motorcraft oil to Amsoil. My engine seems to idle smoother and driving on the highway is smoother / less noisy. But I see oil consumption where as on the motorcraft oil I didn't have any. Seems strange to me

So this is not an ask but an observation.

· Registered
310 Posts
I recently changed from motorcraft oil to Amsoil. My engine seems to idle smoother and driving on the highway is smoother / less noisy. But I see oil consumption where as on the motorcraft oil I didn't have any. Seems strange to me

So this is not an ask but an observation.
Has your driving style changed? Change gas stations ?

· Registered
310 Posts
I would say not. I had changed gas stations halfway through the motorcraft oil because I moved. Driving style is the same because I'm at the same job, just 7 more miles of a commute.
I mean I think I’ve read some cars just burn different oils. If you want piece of mind just do a compression test and maybe if your running 40 weight have to step up to 50 and see if it changes

· Registered
310 Posts
Car is down with a shattered clutch. Have spec clutch on hand.

Hold a couple months of no drive for front LSD differential or skip?

Labor for clutch is roughly 900 he said. Would it be the same amount again?

· Registered
2,781 Posts
Car is down with a shattered clutch. Have spec clutch on hand.

Hold a couple months of no drive for front LSD differential or skip?

Labor for clutch is roughly 900 he said. Would it be the same amount again?

Totally just wait. I have had an lsd on my shelf for over 3 years because I don’t want to pay more than I have to for install 😂

2361 - 2380 of 2386 Posts