Ford Focus RS Forum banner
2021 - 2040 of 2045 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Got some excitement on the way home from work today.

While going on the freeway, my dash decided to light up like a Xmas tree: traction control light on, ABS light on, speedometer stopped working, center display showed speed as "0", AWD disabled, drive mode selection unavailable and hill start assist unavailable. Steering felt heavier but otherwise seemed to drive like normal. When I finally got home, car did not want to turn off with just a single press of the start/stop button and had to be held/long pressed. Waited for a few mins and restarted and no lights came back so I drove around the block and some (not all) lights came back.

Any ideas?
Any recent trips to the dealer or work done? Sounds like an electrical issue, maybe a loose battery cable?

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Any recent trips to the dealer or work done? Sounds like an electrical issue, maybe a loose battery cable?
No, no recent trips. On the other hand, the car has been sitting undriven for about 2 weeks prior to driving it yesterday due to Thanksgiving and me commuting in the Integra (trying to save on gas).

Pulled several codes using forscan (front right wheel speed sensor) so will be checking that out along with a new battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have this sqeaking noise when either of my rear wheels gets compressed as I go over a bump. Example going over a speed bump diagonally I get this sound.

https://voca.ro/1DHtVZDULnk7

I jacked up the car and took a look but nothing stands out. 2018 Focus Rs 40k miles.

·
Registered
2018 NB LE
60 Posts
I have this sqeaking noise when either of my rear wheels gets compressed as I go over a bump. Example going over a speed bump diagonally I get this sound.

I jacked up the car and took a look but nothing stands out. 2018 Focus Rs 40k miles.
Mine does the same, with a bit of a groan as well. Have never been able to figure it out

·
Registered
3,333 Posts

Do you have an aftermarket rear sway? Sounds like a rubber-against-metal type of squeak. I would check the rear sway bushings, might need some cleaning and lube.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Stock as far as I know. I will try that thank you.
Mine has done that since I got it at 22k km, only when it gets cold, around freezing and below.

Now at 95k km and never bothered seaching for a cause! Only happens over speed bumps and under sudden compression driving small backroads aggressively (bottom of hills that go right back up or driving over a small depression).

Stock suspension, exhaust, etc…in the area pf rear suspension…

Doesn’t help you fixing it but you’re not alone! I reckon my ST did the same…might be worth searching the ST forums as

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine has done that since I got it at 22k km, only when it gets cold, around freezing and below.

Now at 95k km and never bothered seaching for a cause! Only happens over speed bumps and under sudden compression driving small backroads aggressively (bottom of hills that go right back up or driving over a small depression).

Stock suspension, exhaust, etc…in the area pf rear suspension…

Doesn’t help you fixing it but you’re not alone! I reckon my ST did the same…might be worth searching the ST forums as
I went lube happy last night and lubed all the sway bar bushings ect. Noise is gone as of today. Took a nice drive through the retirement home and hit about 10 speed bumps. Silence is golden.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went lube happy last night and lubed all the sway bar bushings ect. Noise is gone as of today. Took a nice drive through the retirement home and hit about 10 speed bumps. Silence is golden.
What do you lube bushings with? My squeaky old F-350 could definitely use some.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
What do you lube bushings with? My squeaky old F-350 could definitely use some.
The "right" way to do it is to remove the bushing and regrease them (I have a big jar of PTFE grease, so that's what I use), but if you are feeling lazy, just squirting a penetrating lubricant like tri-flow should do the trick, although it might only last for a little while.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The "right" way to do it is to remove the bushing and regrease them (I have a big jar of PTFE grease, so that's what I use), but if you are feeling lazy, just squirting a penetrating lubricant like tri-flow should do the trick, although it might only last for a little while.
I work at a bike shop and literally used tri flow lol. I will do it right eventually but now I know where the noise was coming from.

·
Registered
2018 RS NB
25 Posts
The thread about adding a spare tire mentions purchasing flat lugnuts. Why shouldn't conical ones be used? In fact wouldn't they seat better than a flat nut?

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
The thread about adding a spare tire mentions purchasing flat lugnuts. Why shouldn't conical ones be used? In fact wouldn't they seat better than a flat nut?

Really depends on the lug nut seat on the wheel you get.

You want as much mating surface between the lug nut and the wheel.

Reactions: BigFatFlip

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Ok guys I have a weird one for you.

there’s nothing making me think anything’s wrong. I was blasting around in the snow today and once I got home, decided to pop the hood and see how dirty it was. Sounds like I might have an exhaust leak so I was poking my head around and while idling, decided to pull the oil cap off.

just exactly how much crankcase pressure is released from the oil cap at idle? I know some people run the UPR breather. But I mean it felt like… a lot of pressure. I’ll upload a little YouTube video

all the years of owning my focus ST and my RS I never removed the oil cap so I have nothing to compare it to. Haven’t found any videos on YouTube either

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Ok guys I have a weird one for you.

there’s nothing making me think anything’s wrong. I was blasting around in the snow today and once I got home, decided to pop the hood and see how dirty it was. Sounds like I might have an exhaust leak so I was poking my head around and while idling, decided to pull the oil cap off.

just exactly how much crankcase pressure is released from the oil cap at idle? I know some people run the UPR breather. But I mean it felt like… a lot of pressure. I’ll upload a little YouTube video

all the years of owning my focus ST and my RS I never removed the oil cap so I have nothing to compare it to. Haven’t found any videos on YouTube either

Not on the Rs but on my nephews MS6. We were doing an oil change and I told him to put the oil cap on run the car, turn off the car and wait for a bit to measure the oil again.

He forgot to put the cap back on and still had the funnel sitting there, after he started the car: Oil splashed over the place and you can feel decent pressure coming from it.

needless to say, we need to top off the oil again and clean the oil splatters.

🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
3,333 Posts

What exactly did you feel/hear after pulling the oil cap? Technically, shouldn't there be a vacuum in the crankcase when our cars are at idle or at low load/cruising? The way I understand it, the PCV should be open and vacuum is being pulled from the manifold. When the engine sees high crank case pressures (ie during boost) the PCV closes (manifold is now pressurized) and crank case pressure is vented via the valve cover and out that hose that connects to the intake tube that runs above the engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Car Gear shift Motor vehicle Vehicle Light

I just added the cobb short shifter conversion and I want a heavyweight shift knob that is tall and cylindrical but compatible with the reverse spring. I ordered a knob that looks how I want and has the correct threads but it doesn't have a recessed area and therefore doesn't look like it should. Does anyone have a shift knob like this but meant for the RS? Or know where I can find one? Do I just have to machine my own?

2021 - 2040 of 2045 Posts