Ford Focus RS Forum banner
2001 - 2020 of 2022 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
527 Posts
Has anyone upgraded their HPFP to an XDI and kept the OE injectors? My tuner was saying that should force a little more fuel through the injectors, but he's not sure if it would be enough to be able to run straight e54. Most of the ethanol pumps here are e54, so I don't need to run higher. With fuel prices going up, there's still about $1 difference between e54 and 91 octane, so I was wondering about this... and I should be able to run the same power levels with less boost, which sounds safer.

My e40 tune was tuned with an e42 mix, and I thought the injectors start to max out around e44. But I'm hoping someone has first hand experience with testing this.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Has anyone upgraded their HPFP to an XDI and kept the OE injectors? My tuner was saying that should force a little more fuel through the injectors, but he's not sure if it would be enough to be able to run straight e54. Most of the ethanol pumps here are e54, so I don't need to run higher. With fuel prices going up, there's still about $1 difference between e54 and 91 octane, so I was wondering about this... and I should be able to run the same power levels with less boost, which sounds safer.

My e40 tune was tuned with an e42 mix, and I thought the injectors start to max out around e44. But I'm hoping someone has first hand experience with testing this.
No constructive response from me about the xdi pump however... You realize ethanol is not a 'save money at the pump' thing right? Ethanol burns around ~25ish percent more, so unless ethanol is ~25 percent cheaper than 91 at the pump you aren't saving money.

Gas at the pump where I am for top grade is like 1.75/Canadian Litre. Or 6.62/us gal. Convert from Canadian peso to American dollar and we get $5.31 USD per US gal. Aka, ****ing expensive.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
527 Posts
Yeah, I didn't fully run the numbers, and if this is feasible it still probably isn't cost effective. If it would work, it would be nice to lower the boost a bit too.

But what really got me wondering about this is just annoyance and principle. The closest place to me that sells "flex fuel" has their gas prices about $0.50 / gallon higher than everywhere else around. They're charging around $5.09 / gallon now! So I'd prefer not to be blending over-priced pretentious 91 octane if I don't have to. I haven't checked prices else where, but the next closest e54 pump is much further away.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I haven’t read anything to the contrary, but I’m assuming that the drive modes still work the same after installing a tune?
Yep

·
Registered
2018 RS NB
23 Posts
So I read thru the 25pg oil catch can thread and had some questions. My 2018 daily driver is stock with 61K km. The only performance mod I plan to do at some point is a Cobb etune.

Raptorracing has the Mishimoto and Radium PCV catch cans on sale. I think these mount in different locations and the Mishimoto is accessible from underneath? Is the Radium easier to access? Some have described emptying the Radium using a syringe but what if there is thick "sludge" in it? There is no mention of the drain plug kit being included. Is it possible to detach the cannister from within the engine bay or do parts have to be removed?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
So I read thru the 25pg oil catch can thread and had some questions. My 2018 daily driver is stock with 61K km. The only performance mod I plan to do at some point is a Cobb etune.

Raptorracing has the Mishimoto and Radium PCV catch cans on sale. I think these mount in different locations and the Mishimoto is accessible from underneath? Is the Radium easier to access? Some have described emptying the Radium using a syringe but what if there is thick "sludge" in it? There is no mention of the drain plug kit being included. Is it possible to detach the cannister from within the engine bay or do parts have to be removed?
Radium can....
The bottom unscrews in 2 ways.
There is an Allen key bolt
And
You can unscrew the can from the top part.
The syringe method is all that's needed even if sludgy oil is in there.

·
Premium Member
2016 RS
1,128 Posts

I have the Radium can. I don't understand the need for the remote drain valves or cleaning it out with a syringe. I just undo the upper hose, reach under the can, unscrew it and lift it out. Then I can see exactly what is in it, pour it out and measure it, and clean the can properly. I can do the entire job in <10 minutes. I consistently get 100ml of fluid out every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
2018 RS NB
23 Posts
I have the Radium can. I don't understand the need for the remote drain valves or cleaning it out with a syringe. I just undo the upper hose, reach under the can, unscrew it and lift it out. Then I can see exactly what is in it, pour it out and measure it, and clean the can properly. I can do the entire job in <10 minutes. I consistently get 100ml of fluid out every 5000 miles.
Thanks for the info, I ended up purchasing the Radium pcv can. Does the intake manifold cover(?) need to be removed for the install or is that just for the crankcase catch can? I was going to install the can without cleaning the valves. How expensive is it to have the dealer clean the valves and is this something a local garage can do?

·
Premium Member
2016 RS
1,128 Posts
Thanks for the info, I ended up purchasing the Radium pcv can. Does the intake manifold cover(?) need to be removed for the install or is that just for the crankcase catch can? I was going to install the can without cleaning the valves. How expensive is it to have the dealer clean the valves and is this something a local garage can do?
If you mean the large plastic engine cover my guess is yes, that needs to be removed. But it just pulls off so that is quick and easy. I haven't run mine for years as I have a Mountune intake manifold and don't like covering it up.

I can't speak to the cleaning as I installed my catch cans right after I had the 17B32 head gasket FSA done and I got a new cylinder head.

Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
527 Posts
The intake manifold does need to be removed. Check out the install instructions...

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Got some excitement on the way home from work today.

While going on the freeway, my dash decided to light up like a Xmas tree: traction control light on, ABS light on, speedometer stopped working, center display showed speed as "0", AWD disabled, drive mode selection unavailable and hill start assist unavailable. Steering felt heavier but otherwise seemed to drive like normal. When I finally got home, car did not want to turn off with just a single press of the start/stop button and had to be held/long pressed. Waited for a few mins and restarted and no lights came back so I drove around the block and some (not all) lights came back.

Any ideas?

2001 - 2020 of 2022 Posts