Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1981 - 2000 of 2022 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Got a strange flat tire the other day. Below is the damage, on the inside of the tire. I have 255s all around with 15mm spacers and this seems like a product of rub? If not, any other guesses as to why this happened? Overall thread seemed to be ok

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Any fellow CAE shifter owners out there? I had mine set-up for around a year now and it would go into 1-6 smoothly but would always have difficulty going into reverse. On occasion, when I have this issue, putting the car into 1st initially seems to help it go into reverse easily. This morning, nothing I do would allow me to go into reverse, so I had to roll the car off my driveway and out of the way so I can drive the teggy to work.

Anybody have this issue? Can anyone with the CAE give me some tips on how the adjusted their shifters, particularly to get a smooth reverse? This thing just has way too many adjusters for me to comprehend lol.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Any fellow CAE shifter owners out there? I had mine set-up for around a year now and it would go into 1-6 smoothly but would always have difficulty going into reverse. On occasion, when I have this issue, putting the car into 1st initially seems to help it go into reverse easily. This morning, nothing I do would allow me to go into reverse, so I had to roll the car off my driveway and out of the way so I can drive the teggy to work.

Anybody have this issue? Can anyone with the CAE give me some tips on how the adjusted their shifters, particularly to get a smooth reverse? This thing just has way too many adjusters for me to comprehend lol.

@Spetche has a coolerwerks one had a similar issue:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
@Spetche has a coolerwerks one had a similar issue:

Ya, saw that post, but I think mine is a completely different issue. Nothing appears loose and it always has been difficult to put into reverse, just that now I flat out can't. I'm going to try the shifter cable adjustment tmrw and see if that makes it any better.

·
Registered
304 Posts

Looking at the CAE instructions (https://cae-racing.de/mediafiles/Sonstiges/Ford/IMAN_Focus MK3 RS-ST 10054.pdf) it looks like the adjustments for reverse are very similar to the coolerworx. Check pages 7 and 8.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Got a strange flat tire the other day. Below is the damage, on the inside of the tire. I have 255s all around with 15mm spacers and this seems like a product of rub? If not, any other guesses as to why this happened? Overall thread seemed to be ok

View attachment 355238
Doesn't look like rub to me since the entire sidewall isn't worn. Maybe you drove over something that sliced the tire?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Looking at the CAE instructions (https://cae-racing.de/mediafiles/Sonstiges/Ford/IMAN_Focus MK3 RS-ST 10054.pdf) it looks like the adjustments for reverse are very similar to the coolerworx. Check pages 7 and 8.
Ya, I followed those instructions when I installed it and it didn't quite work. When going into reverse, the bottom ball would run into the right hand link (sorry, hard to picture unless you know what I'm talking about) so I had to fiddle with the link lengths a little bit to keep this from happening.

I re-did the cable length reset (plastic clip in the engine bay side+stick into 4th) this morning and that seemed to help as I was now able to stick it in reverse (but still with some difficulty). Re-did the set screw adjustment and got it slightly better, but still not smooth. Guess I'll have to live with it for now until I have more time to mess with it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ya, I followed those instructions when I installed it and it didn't quite work. When going into reverse, the bottom ball would run into the right hand link (sorry, hard to picture unless you know what I'm talking about) so I had to fiddle with the link lengths a little bit to keep this from happening.

I re-did the cable length reset (plastic clip in the engine bay side+stick into 4th) this morning and that seemed to help as I was now able to stick it in reverse (but still with some difficulty). Re-did the set screw adjustment and got it slightly better, but still not smooth. Guess I'll have to live with it for now until I have more time to mess with it.
weird…have you tried upgrading your cable bushings?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Your tire is a Federal tire? If so the older models had some issues with delamination with the tread. That said I have the newest 595 RS-Pro and no issues w/ about 13k miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts

View attachment 355238
Looks like it could be rubbing to me. I’d check around on stuff like lower control arms and other metal bits you could be rubbing at full lock.

·
Registered
2018 RS NB
23 Posts
Hello, just wondering how high I can safely shim the rear mounts to alter the seat rake? I've got one raised approx 11mm and the other at 14mm. The difference is only subtle and not sure how much higher I could go. As long as the bolt is completely through the floor mount plate thickness then I should be fine?

I'm trying to avoid cutting/drilling the front mounts at this point.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 RS NB
23 Posts
Bumper Gas Tints and shades Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

When inspecting the spark plugs today I broke the small tab on the ignition coil which secures the wiring harness. It seems to hold ok but I did secure it with electrical tape.

Seems like a waste to have to purchase a new one just for the tab. If I do replace the part do they all have to match (eg. brand, age) or can I just buy one?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Hey guys random question.

can anyone find the compressor map anywhere of the stock Honeywell turbo? I want to know what lb/min it can really flow to see if it’s maxed out or not.

right now at 6500rpm i flow about 48-49lb/min on the stock turbo. Tapers down to 22psi, wastegate duty cycle about 55-60%. Curious to know if that is pretty much the end of the oem turbo.

I see online the nx2 drop in claims to max out at 65lb/min

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts

can anyone find the compressor map anywhere of the stock Honeywell turbo? I want to know what lb/min it can really flow to see if it’s maxed out or not.

right now at 6500rpm i flow about 48-49lb/min on the stock turbo. Tapers down to 22psi, wastegate duty cycle about 55-60%. Curious to know if that is pretty much the end of the oem turbo.

I found a couple of threads both here and on the Mustang forums saying the turbo is designed for 45lb/min. Steamspeed posted this calculator as well in another thread to help you map it out yourself.
Calculator

Someone smarter than me can probably figure out how to use that calculator, or dig up more information.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts

I vaguely recall seeing it a while back but I could be wrong. I believe it was on the Garrett turbo site at one point. FYI Garrett p/n is 834142-5007S

1981 - 2000 of 2022 Posts