Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Attn: Ask Anything And Not Get Flamed Thread

Tags
chains snow
1M views 2K replies 340 participants last post by  Barroux 
#1 · (Edited)
I think a thread like this could be a very valuable and beneficial tool, specially as this Forum continues to grow and new junior members are added.

At this point, we're all new to this Forum, but as time passes, the NOW junior members will be senior members. We'll continue to see the Forum grow with new junior members.

It was a very popular thread in another Forum and a safe place for new junior members to post questions (within Forum rules/guidelines) without fear of being flamed.

So please respond kindly and keep it fun.

Cheers!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Dang it, I have to put my flame thrower away.

Seriously, this is a great area for the newb member to ask a question and still have the cone of safety.

Plenty of SME (Subject Matter Experts) out there that can assist with the answering.

So let those questions fly.....................

One other note, make sure to discover where the search button is and how to do a Google search also.

This helps out quite a bit also, just sayin'.

Reactions: Afelix25 and COBBST
#5 ·
We still need a Ricer, WTF did I see while driving, and the like threads to make it fun around here.

Reactions: COBBST
#7 ·
Yo Dawgz, so I'm ridin my whip round the hood, itza slammed Civic 24 Dubs and phatties and WTF do I see but some naked dude bustin around the likker store readin a Car and Driver mag like some$hit waz on fire!

Feel free to add on the next sentences to turn it into a little story.

JIm

#8 ·
Yo Dawgz, so I'm ridin my whip round the hood, itza slammed Civic 24 Dubs and phatties and WTF do I see but some naked dude bustin around the likker store readin a Car and Driver mag like some$hit waz on fire!

Feel free to add on the next sentences to turn it into a little story.
After recovering from that stroke I tried to regain what few senses I had left.

"Where...am I? What's happening?"

Pausing a moment to take in my surroundings, I'm clearly in my trusty '94 Civic EX; the scent of three Black Ice air fresheners hanging from the rear-view mirror and the Initial D complete collection in the passenger seat is enough to convince me of that much. But which intersection am I at and why don't I remember driving here?

Someone honks next to me.

Looking to my left I see an LS1 swapped Miata with none other than Ryan 'Fuċking' Gosling behind the wheel. Still under post-stroke effects, I'm struggling to figure out if this is real life or just Fanta sea. Before I can ask how his smile can makes me feel things my girlfriend can only dream of, I hear another honk to my right.

Lacking in looks but not in character, I see Billy Mays in an S2000. "VTEC BRO", he shouts, engine revving hysterically. Are we racing?

Right as I was wishing to return to the comfort of the stroke, Lakitu appears in front of us signifying the immediacy of my current predicament.

My competition may be fierce and handsome, but they're no match for the aftermarket electric turbo I found off Ebay. The added boost gauge was a nice touch.

Lakitu's light turns green and rubber starts burning. Gosling's swap clearly pays off as he's multiple car lengths ahead of Billy and I, but the more I think positive thoughts about Paul Walker's friendship with Vin Diesel, the faster I can feel my Civvy gaining on him.

Moments before I'm about catch up to the manliest of Miata drivers, a blur zooms past my right side. I can only assume it was Mays, but all I could hear was the sound of the VTEC and someone exclaiming "BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE."

#12 ·
Okay noob question. Why is my signature box so big? I thought maybe I had some 'enters' holding blanks lines, but no. Is there a code to make it just 2 lines tall?

#15 ·
What's Ford's reason for not including certain "basic" options for the US market that are offered in the EU market? I get the shell seats thing but like another user posted, options such as driving/parking assists, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, and parking sensors seem like no brainers especially when they're offered on other US Fords...

#21 · (Edited)
I think this is a good question.

How do we describe the Focus RS to someone without them immediately laughing at you? When I say I am getting a Focus, EVERYONE I know immediately thinks I'm getting some ****ty low priced Ford, then I have to explain its a performance vehicle and its very rare and there has been hundreds of millions of dollars into the development of the Focus RS and that it's better than the stock STI and EVO and blah blah. The problem is that most Americans do not know anything about the Focus RS, so they lump it together with the other regular "Focus" cars because most people have ZERO idea that the RS even exists. Most of my friends and coworkers don't even know what a Focus ST is, so they reaaaally don't know what an RS is. I try to describe it to them in a way that will make it seem justified, but everyone laughs when I say I'm spending $45k on a focus. No matter how I try to defend the car, it seems that there is always someone laughing because of the name "Focus". Once they see the car in action they will change their mind, but they will all think we are crazy until then. Proabably because this is what they see in their mind: Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Mid-size car

#22 ·
I think this is a good question.

How do we describe the Focus RS to someone without them immediately laughing at you? When I say I am getting a Focus, EVERYONE I know immediately thinks I'm getting some ****ty low priced Ford, then I have to explain its a performance vehicle and its very rare and there has been hundreds of millions of dollars into the development of the Focus RS and that it's better than the stock STI and EVO and blah blah. The problem is that most Americans do not know anything about the Focus RS, so they lump it together with the other regular "Focus" cars because most people have ZERO idea that the RS even exists. Most of my friends and coworkers don't even know what a Focus ST is, so they reaaaally don't know what an RS is. I try to describe it to them in a way that will make it seem justified, but everyone laughs when I say I'm spending $45k on a focus. No matter how I try to defend the car, it seems that there is always someone laughing because of the name "Focus". Proabably because this is what they see in their mind: View attachment 2684

Once they see the car in action they will change their mind, but they will all think we are crazy until then.
(1) All you do is say "It's just a Focus" and if they agree, then they are the pedestrian mass car crowd and aren't worth worrying about, let it roll off you back like water.

(2) If they say, but it is an awesome RS model, then you say Yes and go on talking about its features.

In case number (1) you can say sorry Officer, I guess I didn't realize the power of my Focus :D

Peace YMMV,

MidCow3

#25 ·
I could care less what someone thinks about the car and I could care less if they think I am wasting my money, we all know the Focus RS is going to be worth every penny, but its when someone laughs it bugs me lol. Some people are just ignorant and no matter how you try to describe something, they don't care because "it's a focus". I guess I just have to ignore those people or prove them wrong with a test drive lol

#42 ·
I've been saying for a long time now, "people are arrogant in their ignorance, and ignorant in their arrogance."

#32 ·
^^^^^

Describes my feelings exactly. My friends and Lancer Evo car club buddies think I'm making the biggest mistake of my life. While I'm not so keen on driver assist technology like "drift mode", I am eager to see just what kind of technology these guys have found to make driving even more enjoyable, or equally as enjoyable but on a completely different level.

#27 ·
I kind of like it this way... a lot of people still think of my S2000 as "just a Honda". I had a guy in a 1999 Mustang GT call out "That's cute! Is it your mom's!?" before we got out of town and he realized he didn't have a hope of keeping up on the back roads.

I like sleepers =)

#28 ·
Noob question. Obviously excited about the performance of the car, but also plan to use as my daily vehicle. I am Looking at the low 4.1" front end clearance, and wondering about driveways, parking garages and speed bumps. Any recommendation other than approach slow and at an angle? Are there ways to adjust ride height or the clearance of the front splitter?

#29 ·
There are always ways, depending on how much you wanna spend. You could get an air cup kit for the front for about 2k. That will raise the front up to 5 inches to allow easier entry. Or you could do the whole car and pretty much dive off a small curb if you wanted.

#33 ·
Bumped into a friend of mine at the shops yesterday, he knows how much of a car enthusiast I am, I mention that I have bought a new car, he says "What?", I reply "A Focus RS", his daughter had a Focus and he would have no idea that an RS would even exist, so he says "Why a Focus", really really surprised that I would buy one, I said "Cos I want a new car", "but a Focus!!", he replies, so I add "350bhp, 470NM, Awd, Brembo's, Launch control, 0-100km/h 4.7", he's like "Holy ****!". I think this model having 4 doors is going to make it fly under the radar a bit to the 'average punter' that can't walk or breathe at the same time, which sort of appeals to me.

#34 ·
I have a n00bish question,

I am somewhat familiar with engines and how they work and how the turbos work etc. but I still feel like I know nothing.

Does anyone know of a good youtube series or channel or just a good video of the basics of where I should start to know more?

This post has been deleted
#37 ·
What is flat foot shifting? I've had several manuals in the past and reading how it's described it sounds like something I've never done before.
Flat foot shifting is shifting from one gear to the next with 100% throttle applied. So you set launch control, put your foot to the floor and dump the clutch. Then shifting from one to two you just clutch in, swap gears, clutch out without lifting. It's important you don't lift, if you lift just a little bit the FFS won't catch on and you'll hit the redline. The car will limit RPM to about 5k so you don't bounce off the redline, and this keeps boost up. I have it on my ST thanks to a tune and it makes straight line performance much better. I don't use it a lot because it's still rough on the driveline, but it's definitely effective.