Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pop'n'burbles if I could type.

Here me out - I know they are...but...

I was wondering while feeling a bit titchy 'cos I haven't ridden my moto for 6, correct, that's six weeks, of self imposed sabbatical so I don't smash myself before our month Canada ski holiday leaving in two days......! Yes, of course I'm excited. And titchy. My bicycles just don't scratch that itch.

Enough self indulgence. Anyway.

So, back to my wondering...

VW disgraced themselves with the diesel emissions by having a set of test parameters and a set of driving parameters. With a Mode.

They, and for this thought I call them Modes. Not a Defeat Mechanism.

They had Modes which produced different results depending on the operation conditions - Run the engine through the 'test cycle without steering inputs Mode for NOX and Bingo! Pass - low emissions. Run the cycle with steering inputs Mode and, Oh Dear! High NOX (with a sizeable PR headache for embarrassment and accompanying bill for pain). As far as I know steering input was a key distinction for activating Emissions Test Mode; I expect there were more.

Same logic for drive by noise, perhaps? Comfort Mode all good & quiet.

Change Mode, Pops'n'burbles. Illegal? Nope?

HOW COME? Clearly too noisy!

In the old days to pass road worthy tests on that bloody noisy RX2 of mine (every year FFS!) and all over the world in pre event scrutineering, round the corner & out of sight...up the tail pipe with the steel wool. PROD!. SWM activated.

Steel Wool Mode, eh? Like it? I do.

Fingers crossed, 'Yes Sir, that's 5001rpm.' Please, PLEASE no ppppfffhftbraatbratbrat and a smoking slug down the drive directly at the inspector with his noise meter in one hand clip board in the other. 'Noooo-can't-imagine what THAT is Sir?'

Fail!

Do not drive sticker for the happy customer's windscreen.

I eventually figured out that just round the corner and out of sight, retarding the ignition until it would just barely run, had a terrific noise attenuating effect and took the tell-tale Bridge Port idle pulsing away too!

SWM: clearly not acceptable! Not for me. Not for anyone. At least not anyone who got caught (like, one time fingers crossed, VW :) ). But, look! See, I can just put it back in SWM andyaknow, all quiet.

Then what about fuel efficiency? 'For comparison only' fuel consumption figures, run the test, get the results, log the numbers... These results culminate in the manufacturer fleet consumption figures tied together in I CAN'T EVEN START TO COMMPREHEND legislation taxation calculations.

No one ever sees these quoted efficiency performance figures IRL, ERVEEER, and an even(er) more distant NEVER EVEEEEER for our betrothed soon to be love-ed RS'. And, I do like a good aRSe (to love...too much sharing? Ahhem. Sorry. Americans didn't get it anyway). Clearly by virtue of SWM confessions I'm not always a good boy.

Yet, those tests are valid.

What about the crash tests - blue cadavers on Wednesdays are just dandy! Don't try this at home kiddies? Who's going to check to argue the toss?

I don't get it. Can some learned friend help me get it?
Surely none of these mandates do not permit a defeat mechanism of whatever means you like to activate? Then: push the button.

Pop'n'burbles for me - fine. My neighbour, not so much.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Pop'n'burbles if I could type.

Here me out - I know they are...but...

I was wondering while feeling a bit titchy 'cos I haven't ridden my moto for 6, correct, that's six weeks, of self imposed sabbatical so I don't smash myself before our month Canada ski holiday leaving in two days......! Yes, of course I'm excited. And titchy. My bicycles just don't scratch that itch.

Enough self indulgence. Anyway.

So, back to my wondering...

VW disgraced themselves with the diesel emissions by having a set of test parameters and a set of driving parameters. With a Mode.

They, and for this thought I call them Modes. Not a Defeat Mechanism.

They had Modes which produced different results depending on the operation conditions - Run the engine through the 'test cycle without steering inputs Mode for NOX and Bingo! Pass - low emissions. Run the cycle with steering inputs Mode and, Oh Dear! High NOX (with a sizeable PR headache for embarrassment and accompanying bill for pain). As far as I know steering input was a key distinction for activating Emissions Test Mode; I expect there were more.

Same logic for drive by noise, perhaps? Comfort Mode all good & quiet.

Change Mode, Pops'n'burbles. Illegal? Nope?

HOW COME? Clearly too noisy!

In the old days to pass road worthy tests on that bloody noisy RX2 of mine (every year FFS!) and all over the world in pre event scrutineering, round the corner & out of sight...up the tail pipe with the steel wool. PROD!. SWM activated.

Steel Wool Mode, eh? Like it? I do.

Fingers crossed, 'Yes Sir, that's 5001rpm.' Please, PLEASE no ppppfffhftbraatbratbrat and a smoking slug down the drive directly at the inspector with his noise meter in one hand clip board in the other. 'Noooo-can't-imagine what THAT is Sir?'

Fail!

Do not drive sticker for the happy customer's windscreen.

I eventually figured out that just round the corner and out of sight, retarding the ignition until it would just barely run, had a terrific noise attenuating effect and took the tell-tale Bridge Port idle pulsing away too!

SWM: clearly not acceptable! Not for me. Not for anyone. At least not anyone who got caught (like, one time fingers crossed, VW :) ). But, look! See, I can just put it back in SWM andyaknow, all quiet.

Then what about fuel efficiency? 'For comparison only' fuel consumption figures, run the test, get the results, log the numbers... These results culminate in the manufacturer fleet consumption figures tied together in I CAN'T EVEN START TO COMMPREHEND legislation taxation calculations.

No one ever sees these quoted efficiency performance figures IRL, ERVEEER, and an even(er) more distant NEVER EVEEEEER for our betrothed soon to be love-ed RS'. And, I do like a good aRSe (to love...too much sharing? Ahhem. Sorry. Americans didn't get it anyway). Clearly by virtue of SWM confessions I'm not always a good boy.

Yet, those tests are valid.

What about the crash tests - blue cadavers on Wednesdays are just dandy! Don't try this at home kiddies? Who's going to check to argue the toss?

I don't get it. Can some learned friend help me get it?
Surely none of these mandates do not permit a defeat mechanism of whatever means you like to activate? Then: push the button.

Pop'n'burbles for me - fine. My neighbour, not so much.
Yes, Pop'n'burbles for me also in "Sport" mode ( or "Track" or "Drift" mode)

"Normal" mode - no Pop'n'burbles and no neighborhood noise for when you need to be quiet :rolleyes:

I personally plan to drive in "Sport" mode almost 100% of the time.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well... if Im reading this right, you're saying the noise is too loud?

I don't think its going to be a very loud car, even at WOT. Some of the videos released have the audio of the car coming from what seems to be a mic attached to the rear of the car. Other videos have the audio coming from the point of view of the camera, in which case the car doesn't seem very loud.

I might be biased though as my Charger R/T has Flowmaster 40 series mufflers.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Were you drunk or high when you typed that? Wow.

No they're not illegal. Ford has been very public about the sport mode pops and burbles so it's not something hidden. The EPA (and their counterparts) have tested the car in all its modes. The only thing left would be if Ford hid something like VW, but that would just be beyond idiotic.

Besides, plenty of other cars already make pops and burbles in sport mode - like the 991 Porsches for example.

·
Registered
520 Posts
They are fully legal! The car has an electronic suppression valve that activates in normal mode to allow the car to qualify for noise level requirements.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Because it is direct sold from the factory, no it is not illegal

VW is illegal because it is Emission related, not sound related.

by default ( when you start the car ) it is in the quiet mode, with Sport being labeled as Track use ( AutoX, not Track Mode )

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Because it is direct sold from the factory, no it is not illegal

VW is illegal because it is Emission related, not sound related.

by default ( when you start the car ) it is in the quiet mode, with Sport being labeled as Track use ( AutoX, not Track Mode )
Actually Normal and Sport are both for road use. Its track and drift that are not for road use. Well, that is how I understood the online user's manual.

·
Registered
843 Posts
For those in areas with a decibel level limit, who knows. However in Illinois we simply cant have an exhaust that's louder than stock... been cited for it a few times. It'll be fun explaining to the first LEO that pulls me over that the exhaust is stock as it burbles and pops out the back of a "Ford Focus".

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Post of the day. I have been entertained... and for that, I thank you.

Pops and Burbles will be good if they ever build our damn cars. And the neighbors will just have to learn to love it. Just like they did when I was in HS (35+ years ago), and would shut off my rotary Mazda's and pump the gas pedal a couple times for a nice SONIC BOOM!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Drunk, high? No. Titchy, you know, pent up energy with no constructive outlet. I said. No moto AKA dirtbike time...big trip. One more sleep. Titchy.
You wouldn't believe I'm guessing but don't do chemical perception changes. Don't need it. Far enough left of centre already.

Pop'n'burbles were the foil for VW's emissions defeat.

Without embelishment, how come it isn't acceptable to alter emissions but it is OK to alter sound emissions and fuel consumption, for example, under different use / test scenarios?

Man, all those wasted words and worse, the punctuation. Shhheesh. : )

·
Registered
374 Posts
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool..."...yada yada yada.
Lol

Then again, all was lost a few threads back. /sigh

Lay down and take a nap, lad.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have great neighbours and live in a street with mostly oldies, I'm youngest in street, I will run it in 'normal' mode up and down the street so as not to piss them off. When I was younger and lived at home with my folks I owned a lot of rotaries and used to build a lot of engines for people. I used to daily an RX3 with a Peripheral inlet ported engine, there was this unemployed guy who had never worked and had this old f*cked out van with no rear muffler, he complained once that I warmed it up too long and it was waking him up, I just replied 'If you had a job like everyone else you would already be at work and wouldn't hear it", he replied he was going to call the cops, I said "no problem and I'll let them know about your f*cked out pos van!", didn't hear anymore about it!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Pop'n'burbles were the foil for VW's emissions defeat.

Without embelishment, how come it isn't acceptable to alter emissions but it is OK to alter sound emissions and fuel consumption, for example, under different use / test scenarios?
VW's cars were exceeding emissions standards in "normal/driving" mode.

The FoRS meets emissions standards in all modes, even when producing the pops and burbles.

·
Registered
376 Posts
As long as Ford didn't do some tricky computer wizardry we should all be ok. However that doesn't mean we won't be getting attention from Johnny Law. Normal mode is a button press away if a LEO is spotted.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
As long as Ford didn't do some tricky computer wizardry we should all be ok. However that doesn't mean we won't be getting attention from Johnny Law. Normal mode is a button press away if a LEO is spotted.
Fugg it, I'm not breaking any laws, gonna be in sport mode 24/7.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Fugg it, I'm not breaking any laws, gonna be in sport mode 24/7.
I would be too but there is one city cop in my area that loves to pick on anybody with even slightly modified cars. I got sent to Ref for an Injen intake even though it had the CARB sticker on it. He's going to sh!t kittens when he sees (hears) the RS rolling around.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts