Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Anyone traded in their ST?

14K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Nachtsturm 
#1 ·
I'm just wondering whether any one has traded in their ST recently, and what kind of value you got for it as a trade in? I was hoping to trade my ST in on an RS when they come out but swung by the dealer today for an estimate and...that ain't gonna happen lol. Mine is an ST3 in perfect condition, fully loaded with every option and 18000 miles on it, they offered me $13 000. Is this particular dealership smoking crack or is that really all this car would be worth as a trade in? Obviously I would be wise to sell it privately but that's difficult to time if the RS does in fact come out in limited numbers.

For what it's worth this particular dealer said they are at this point accepting deposits on the RS, and admitted that they plan to mark the car up by around $4000.

#2 ·
I see a lot of comments on here about people trading in their ST pre-RS and I just don't get it.

So easy to sell a car yourself these days with Craigslist, Ebay, etc. While would someone be so lazy to accept a stealership's crummy trade in price?

Post pics, sell it here for that matter or post a link. Shipping a car clear across the country is $1500 so you have a huge pool of potential buyers.

Most people WILL be bending over via an ADM from the stealer so don't add salt to an open wound by giving them your car for peanuts.

#3 ·
Dealers are required by the spirits of their ancestors to screw you over on trade-ins. It's like a voodoo thing--their plaid-jacketed uncle will appear and smack them with a garishly-ringed hand.
Really, it's hard to say. KBB says $16589 in my area (pretty middling as a zip code, incomewise) for a nice ST3 on trade-in, so they sound a little low.

Edit: ^^also: what he says

#4 ·
Well like I said yes I agree selling privately is always better, but I didn't think the dealers would screw you THAT badly lol, a car like mine is selling for around 23000 in my area on the private market. I should have mentioned this is our only car that's why trading it in would be so convenient, I have to sell it on the same day as I take delivery on the RS lol, but for that kind of price difference I could rent a car for the time difference I guess.

#5 ·
Tell them where they can stick that 4 grand

#6 ·
Haha yeah, I'm getting concerned that the pricing on this car is just gonna be stupid. I'm in Canada so remember prices are higher and there's an exchange rate to worry about, but if that internet leaked pricing is accurate that means a fully loaded RS could hit $50k canadian plus the $5k the dealer is marking it up (that dealer anyway). The RS will be an awesome car, but is it worth a used GTR? no lol

#7 ·
I sold mine to a dealership late last year/early this year. For some reason, I can't remember exactly when...

Anyway, it was a 2013 ST3 with springs, wheels, and tint in near perfect condition with a hair over 30,000 miles. They bought it for $19,200. The only reason I let it go at the time was to buy a house, otherwise I'd still be driving it. LOVED that car. :(

#10 ·
I'm selling my 14 ST1 w/ 17k miles asap. Listed with conservative tunes and asking a somewhat high amount. If it sells early, then I'll be happy... And go buy a cheap DD (<$5k) to get me around. Backup plan is to trade in but I'll have plenty of notice to start lowering the price and such.

#11 ·
It was northstar ford in calgary. That's just one dealer though, one other dealer I asked said they wouldn't mark it up, but we'll see when the car actually hits the floor lol. Maybe I'll just hang onto my ST in the end I don't know. Lately I've been thinking maybe I should just sell the ST, get a minivan for everyday commuting and camping and then start saving to get a caterham or something ten years down the road.

Sync theory that's not a bad plan, good luck with your sale.

#12 ·
I've been trying to privately sell my ST for over a month now and I've only had two emails on it. I'm kind of surprised that I haven't had more interest. I would assume it's due to it being such a niche vehicle that there isn't much demand for it.

#14 ·
Yep, I've got it posted to FocusST.org, Autotrader, and my employer's Intranet classifieds site. Fingers crossed.

I was thinking of taking it to CarMax, but I'm sure I'll be low-balled there.

#15 ·
For a used car buyer the ST is such a great deal. Also, with most cars any mods retail value may be worth a whopping 10% added to the sale price but with the STs I've seen any mods look to devalue the car. Even Ford-warranty Monotune cars.

Super nice like new STs for 17k, 18k .... but even getting that price is better than trading it in ....

#16 ·
I have a 2014 ST3 currently with 4200 miles on it(bought in late June 2014).. it's about 9.9 out of 10 condition wise(It's bone stock with dealer tint and alarm).... I would love to get 20K or a little more like 21K when trading it in, but I highly doubt that... if they try to screw me on the trade in, I'll just put 10K down on the RS and sell the ST myself... By the time the RS is ready to be sold, I'll have the ST paid nearly off... I would love to have the RS 2/3 paid for when I buy it, then have it paid off over the next year and a half... I've toyed with the ideal of keeping the ST and buying the RS, but that seems really out there. I don't need 2 cars that I can only drive maybe twice a week. I will hate to see the ST go away, but will love driving off the dealership lot in the new RS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.