Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find I'm scraping the air dam under the front spoiler on driveways, some speed bumps, and some severely crowns street crossings. In seriously considering Vivid Racing's coilover offering but just read a bit about an air suspension option. Anyone familiar with the air ride adjustable air system or an equivalent air bag type suspension? It might give me some extra ground clearance when I need it but I don't know how they stack up against a well matched set of coilovers...

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Nope, not thinking of it. I'd consider different shocks or coil overs if they stay dual mode and improve ride/handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
It looks super lame to me, but I guess I am an old man on these forums. I'm not part of stance nation.

Stay off my lawn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JordanByrne

·
Registered
572 Posts
haha, dont worry... I think the majority of this forum will be with you on that,.

personally I love it. wont do it to mine but!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I find I'm scraping the air dam under the front spoiler on driveways, some speed bumps, and some severely crowns street crossings. In seriously considering Vivid Racing's coilover offering but just read a bit about an air suspension option. Anyone familiar with the air ride adjustable air system or an equivalent air bag type suspension? It might give me some extra ground clearance when I need it but I don't know how they stack up against a well matched set of coilovers...
Destin Staff (@destinstaff) | Instagram photos and videos

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not interested in slamming it, rather getting more clearance when needed. Thanks form the links! I agree the car slammed look does not appeal to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am putting airride on my RS currently.

Air Ride is no longer just for getting the "slammed" look. It works perfectly for a high performance platform that you daily drive just like you want. I have installed air ride on my GTR, BMW M4, and now my RS. As long as you get a quality kit that is made for performance they work just as well as similarly priced aftermarket coilover sets.

The airlift performance kit I had on my GTR performed brilliantly! just as good as aftermarket coils. I had the lowered stance for handling, looks and what not. was able to lift the car to above stock height for speed bumps and steep driveways, and of course you can "slam" it when parked which always draws a crowd haha. especially when you raise it to ride height with your phone.

in addition on my gtr and m4 i had another option. I lifted the rear end of the car a little bit so my rear wheels cambered in for more straight line drag racing traction. then lowered it back to ride height for added camber and handling.

anyone who thinks its blasphemy to put air ride on a performance car hasn't tried the new systems. 30 way adjustable dampening (and rebound in the case of the gtr and other platforms)

now for cars with adjustable dampening from factory like this car you will need resistors (like from kw). some cars will prompt a check engine light if you don't. this car i believe will not prompt a light though. however if you don't get resistors it is my understanding that track mode will not work properly as the computer tries to stiffen the shocks it realizes its not working and defaults to going back to normal mode. you can get past this by putting the car in sport mode and turning tc off since the main difference between the two is the stiffer shocks, and the traction control.

or you can get the resistor kit and everything should be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did the Airlift perfromance 3P system on doth my ST & RS you couldnt ask for a better setup for show drive and performance the sturts and shocks are made by BC Coilovers for Airlift

·
Registered
933 Posts
now for cars with adjustable dampening from factory like this car you will need resistors (like from kw). some cars will prompt a check engine light if you don't. this car i believe will not prompt a light though. however if you don't get resistors it is my understanding that track mode will not work properly as the computer tries to stiffen the shocks it realizes its not working and defaults to going back to normal mode. you can get past this by putting the car in sport mode and turning tc off since the main difference between the two is the stiffer shocks, and the traction control.

or you can get the resistor kit and everything should be fine.
Or you can go to track mode and then just turn off the dampers before it finishes it's check. Just another option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts