Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently tuning with Randy and obviously I'm sending this his way, but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed something like this. In part throttle situations the car will pull, hesitate, then continue pulling. I felt this happen occasionally when stock, but I figured the car was acting funny because it wasn't up to temperature or something.

The line on top is pedal position which I'm keeping around 2/3rds throttle. The first graph also has timing of each cylinder plotted.

screenshot.png

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Would be nice to know what the problem is. My car smokes when you do the 1-2 shift after a cold start during the hesitation

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yep, I get this as well. Most noticeable with half throttle in 2nd. Dont think I have ever had it happen when the car is warmed up though, only cold.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Only in one area. I'll fire the car up in the garage, let it warm for maybe 60 seconds. Then I start driving, or creeping out of my neighborhood slowly, like 30mph in 3rd gear. I noticed some hesitation at very light throttle in drift mode. As I've tested drift mode I noticed that the journalists and everyone else is completely full of caca. It's power oversteer mode and really takes a ham fist to get the car sliding out in the rear and it's minor since the front wheels have 30% of power still going to them. It's as safe as kittens at normal speeds. So i've been putting the car in drift mode from the get go, and only now have i noticed this slight hesitation. Never noticed it in sport.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Stock wga?

Either way, try logging wga % and see if it correlates with the hiccups.

I have a similar hiccup when transitioning from normal cruise type driving to full throttle. It's not all that hard to work around. But I think it's coming from the ecu. Probably it's attempt at being efficient, or something.

Eta: the full AP param name is "wgdc actual %".

·
5,625 Posts
Is this like the second coming?
Have noticed one turbo spool and then it goes flat and then another spool occurs after 4k till redline.

Had it happen once about 5 months ago.
Strangely, since then, hasn't occurred again. Trying to find that exhilarating feel again.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
I'd say that you experienced overboost. Or maybe a delayed twin scroll flap action. @Paolo

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine does this consistently after a short warm up in at least 2nd 3rd and 4th. Just drive it harder and it doesn't seem to happen. Very annoying under light throttle!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but is this the same as the rev hang issue?

Rev hang symptoms - I posted this before and others say the same...Let it warm up to operating temps. Granny shift through the neighborhood for a few hundred yards. No hang or hiccup.

IF I dont granny shift for the first throws I feel the hang/hesitation for a couple throws. Felt it a lot over the winter in the mornings more....or maybe i didn't drink enough coffee and b1ch3d about it more... :)

Do you think the Ford approve tune will "fix" this? Or different issue completely?

·
Registered
181 Posts
@Basie, nope, completely different. I get the rev hang too when pulling away. I've had the hesitation occur when the car is relatively warm. To me it felt like the ecu restricting something but not sure what.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Were there any changes made to your tune that improved this issue or is it just coolant flooding in the cylinders

1 - 20 of 61 Posts