Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
It'll be electric but not sure how ford implements it (electric hydro or just electronic). Won't be an engine driven hydro pump though I'm sure.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Found the belt diagram in the owners manual. No pully for a PS pump. One belt runs the ALT, WP and 2 idler pullies, the other the AC compressor. My guess is they used a fully electric steering system... im not sure how i feel about that.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yes, it's electric power steering that comes from the Euro C-Max with a fixed steering ratio versus the variable one found in the ST.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It'll be electric but not sure how ford implements it (electric hydro or just electronic). Won't be an engine driven hydro pump though I'm sure.
It's full electric. They stated they put a lot of time in tuning the system too. The ST steering is pretty good but can be a little numb at times. They also changed knuckles and different tie rods I believe. The chassis stiffening will help with feel as well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
electric steering is good, one less thing to worry about maintaining.
One more thing to worry about when things like connectors start to corrode or theres an electrical error... what happens to your steering when something goes wrong and your driving down the highway?

·
Registered
148 Posts
lol. It's not like some video game steering wheel that sends electronic signals to a detached output... There are still good ol' mechanical rods and linkages there ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
So theres actually a mechanical linkage still... phew, i was worried for a second that it was literally "drive by wire"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Before I got the RS I had the electric steering on my Euro C Max.
No probs with it during 52,000 miles.

The steering is great on the RS with great feedback.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts