1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Very interesting. Bugasu over at the ST Forum is really up on these Patent issues, and there are a number of resources to do Patent Searches for those that want to get more in depth information. I know I'm going to look into it.

Many of the Patents mentioned in this article (and the links) are; as one might expect; in the area of electric vehicles, self-driving cars and driver wearable electronic interfaces with the vehicle. However, I was very interested to see that upwards of two hundred Patents were directly involved with "Ecoboost" engine technology. That's very intriguing.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm not sure any of this will have an impact on the RS as it has already been given the production go ahead (I guess it would mean competitors couldn't directly steal their R&D efforts as easily when the RS's begin to roll out, but patents aren't wholly protective, a few minor changes, name change, etc) however I am curious as to what new things will work its way into future EB hearted mobiles, as well as the autonomous and electric cars. Also, if Ford and Google team up, that is going to be a huge bonus for Ford!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yeah, I read a few articles on Fords newfound partnership with Google as well as the patent filings. That stuff is all and well for people who hate driving, but Ford also did say that between now and 2020 they will be debuting more Ford performance models :D So they haven't forgot about us enthusiasts! My guess is performance applications make up a chunk of the patents for the EB engine tech.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Focus Bat-pod?

I'm sure the Focus drawing is just a stand-in for the patent filing, but this is interesting/funny.

A patent filed by Ford a few weeks ago reveals a rather unorthodox alternative to throwing a bicycle in your trunk. Like the Batpod that ejected from the Batmobile in The Dark Knight, the back wheel of your car could quickly transform into a self-balancing electric unicycle.
Full story

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I read about this the other day; however the article I read did not have those pics/schematics that you posted!

Pictures make it look a WHOLE HELL OF A LOT better than what the article said.

It's an interesting idea for packed cities (NY, SanFran, Tokyo, Etc...); however living in D.C. area, I can't see the use for such a device in downtown D.C. at all.

Still it pretty cool/different/new and some what futuristic.... That and trying to be like the Bat Mobile a little too hard/much!!! LOL

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I found crazy is that someone over at Jalponik commented that the Focus missing a wheel in the schematic looks like the average car, after it’s been parked in Detroit.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Hah! unicycle? seriously?
Im not sure I could see my mother un torquing an axle nut to remove the wheel and then assemble her unicycle frame on top of it.
will the car come with a can of fix a flat and a cordless impact gun?
some things need not be made just because the engineering to do so exists.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is an option that I'll never need or want. Now a rear facing turret to gets those a-holes that don't know how to shut off their high beams, I'm all in...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is an option that I'll never need or want. Now a rear facing turret to gets those a-holes that don't know how to shut off their high beams, I'm all in...
It's not only the high beams - when the majority of your traffic consists of SUVs and CUVs, as it does around here, even low beams can be blinding - wish the RS came with auto-dimming side mirrors.

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Appears that the unicycle patent is similar to this:

RYNO Motors

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Mitsubishi makes more than cars. Samsung makes more than electronics. Ford can do more than cars, just need to find markets and products that they can build on. Will be hard on them in the US I think, we are not use to such companies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts