Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get car tuned, just basic intercooler, intake and wastegate upgrade.

Are they good? what kind of gain i can get with them with basic mods? Im after really good low-mid range torque gains.

Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
They're a popular choice but I'm sorry to say I can't recommend them. In short they were rude to me (made me wait hours with no reason etc), and more importantly didn't tell the truth about their tune. I asked if the dyno run would generate DTL's: they said it wouldn't, but it did. That is because they pull the ABS fuse to force the car into FWD mode. I asked if the tune would be detectable (my car was fully stock) and they said it would be undetectable, but in fact all their tunes are obvious. Here's why: the tune enables the US-style 'not ready for emissions test' 7 flashes of the Check Engine light, so its obvious the car has been fiddled with. I asked if that 'feature' could be disabled but never got a response. The tune gave me stock power levels only, when I asked why, was told 'bad fuel', but I had filled with fresh BP 98 that morning. No resolution was offered.

Having said all that, the car boosts to 1.5 bar from much lower in the rev range so the torque in the mid range is much improved.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're a popular choice but I'm sorry to say I can't recommend them. In short they were rude to me (made me wait hours with no reason etc), and more importantly didn't tell the truth about their tune. I asked if the dyno run would generate DTL's: they said it wouldn't, but it did. That is because they pull the ABS fuse to force the car into FWD mode. I asked if the tune would be detectable (my car was fully stock) and they said it would be undetectable, but in fact all their tunes are obvious. Here's why: the tune enables the US-style 'not ready for emissions test' 7 flashes of the Check Engine light, so its obvious the car has been fiddled with. I asked if that 'feature' could be disabled but never got a response. The tune gave me stock power levels only, when I asked why, was told 'bad fuel', but I had filled with fresh BP 98 that morning. No resolution was offered.

Having said all that, the car boosts to 1.5 bar from much lower in the rev range so the torque in the mid range is much improved.
can i know how long ago was this please?

·
Registered
178 Posts
sorry you got bad experience, did you go anywhere else?
No. I have a long term plan to re-do the leaking head gasket, so will tune again after that.

Let me add this: there are a lot of RS owners that are happy with UPG, and I'm surprised not one has commented here. Maybe everyone else is using faecesbook these days?

Another thing to add: if you decide to go to UPG, or anywhere else for a dyno tune, see if they will tune using the Cobb handset. That should give you the ability to go back to stock yourself, and check the tune, run logs etc. Obviously more dosh for the handset. Best of both worlds: a proper custom dyno tune, with the self-service of an OTS tune.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Get a Cobb access port and get a custom tune.

If you don't want a tune using the Cobb go and see Leo at Coco eurotech in Thomastown. He's a terrific bloke and will not talk crap. He actually tunes the car himself. Unlike some who say they tune but actually get others to do it for them.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get a Cobb access port and get a custom tune.

see Leo at Coco eurotech in Thomastown.
Thomastown is 2 hours from me , UPG is 30 mins from me.
I was thinking Cobb or even Dreamscience , but then people say dyno tune is the best way to go, i do like the idea of Cobb AP with its extra features but im happy to trade that off for better tune if dyno tunes can give me a bit more.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update :

So went in got the car tuned with these guys and had really good gains, but driving home started making lots of hissing and whooshing noise.

I believe the PCV line attaching to the intake is not functioning properly, also getting boost loss, booked a appointment with dealership to troubleshoot for me.

Did call up these guys and mentioned i was having issues but they didnt seem to be interested in helping at all, telling me boost gauge isnt correct and all the noises are fine. But now i have Engine Service message pop up , So clearly something isnt right and kinda upset and disappointed that i was told everything is fine and its a waste of time bringing car in for them to check.

Now cant drive car til next week . Hopefully its just PCV connection and loose clamps.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Update :

So went in got the car tuned with these guys and had really good gains, but driving home started making lots of hissing and whooshing noise.

I believe the PCV line attaching to the intake is not functioning properly, also getting boost loss, booked a appointment with dealership to troubleshoot for me.

Did call up these guys and mentioned i was having issues but they didnt seem to be interested in helping at all, telling me boost gauge isnt correct and all the noises are fine. But now i have Engine Service message pop up , So clearly something isnt right and kinda upset and disappointed that i was told everything is fine and its a waste of time bringing car in for them to check.

Now cant drive car til next week . Hopefully its just PCV connection and loose clamps.
For clarity is the car is going to Ford with the aftermarket map on it? If you have any warranty I would be returning that to stock map beforehand, if not and for possibly loose things I would recommend going over everything yourself as well. If you can return to stock is there any difference?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I agree on the factory tune being on it before it goes to Fraud.
If not they can and probably will just say nope, that's been fiddled with, see ya later, its your fault and problem.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Also, you were told they had shi7 customer service by @Alpha Dog so they have proved him right, sound like a bunch of d1cks from what they have said to you in response to your issues!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Somethings not right. Surely that problem would have been picked up during a dyno tuning session rather than the drive home?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree on the factory tune being on it before it goes to Fraud.
If not they can and probably will just say nope, that's been fiddled with, see ya later, its your fault and problem.
Spoke with the dealer, told them there is aftermarket parts on the car, they will do the troubleshooting for me but i do have to pay for assessment.

Somethings not right. Surely that problem would have been picked up during a dyno tuning session rather than the drive home?
Yeah when i started driving home i could hear loud hiss/whoosh sound, but because i was in traffic i couldnt do any hard pulls. I did a little pull and it seems something came lose and started whooshing even more, then on car start up there is small knocking sound as well.

I will go down under the car tomorrow morning again and check all the clamps again. So stressed out right now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, you were told they had shi7 customer service by @Alpha Dog so they have proved him right, sound like a bunch of d1cks from what they have said to you in response to your issues!
I just really hope its lose clamps and nothing more.
They are not very helpful at all.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Spoke with the dealer, told them there is aftermarket parts on the car, they will do the troubleshooting for me but i do have to pay for assessment.

Yeah when i started driving home i could hear loud hiss/whoosh sound, but because i was in traffic i couldnt do any hard pulls. I did a little pull and it seems something came lose and started whooshing even more, then on car start up there is small knocking sound as well.

I will go down under the car tomorrow morning again and check all the clamps again. So stressed out right now.
Small knocking sound?
That sounds really awesome.....🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
413 Posts
If the knocking is due to a loose hose should be easy to spot. Does it only happen over rough road or bumps, or is knocking all the time / at idle? If the latter then you may have a problem.

Not sure we can blame the shop yet. You seemed to have had issues when you swapped the intake yourself, sounds like it was never sorted properly. Hopefully its a simple fix.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts