Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically I'm just wondering if anyone else feels that way? Once something gains traction it either sticks or it doesn't... Solid media coverage for the week surrounding the initial ordering window, so is the media frenzy dying out quickly? I've heard many people say that ford "hasn't even begun to market this car" I count a 4 part documentary, adds on football games, etc definitely more than a beginning to marketing.

What are yall thinking? I know I'm already sick of waiting for it... Gonna be a long 4-6 months.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I think it's worked out like they planned so far. I believe that all of the allocated ones have sold or are close to being all sold out.. People who know about the car want it and are eager to get their hands on one...

I also believe that once the automotive journalists get to test it and live with the car for a while, and the reviews start to flow, then you'll really see the marketing engine start to roll.

And yes.... It's going to be a long winter waiting for this car to finally become real.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So basically I'm just wondering if anyone else feels that way? Once something gains traction it either sticks or it doesn't... Solid media coverage for the week surrounding the initial ordering window, so is the media frenzy dying out quickly? I've heard many people say that ford "hasn't even begun to market this car" I count a 4 part documentary, adds on football games, etc definitely more than a beginning to marketing.

What are yall thinking? I know I'm already sick of waiting for it... Gonna be a long 4-6 months.
There's nothing else to report on at this point. Ford hasn't really released anything new in the last week or so. This isn't a car Ford is going to market hard. It's "limited" production, the people who are going to be buying it already know they want it, and the majority of sales with be EDM.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I think it's worked out like they planned so far. I believe that all of the allocated ones have sold or are close to being all sold out.. People who know about the car want it and are eager to get their hands on one...

I also believe that once the automotive journalists get to test it and live with the car for a while, and the reviews start to flow, then you'll really see the marketing engine start to roll.

And yes.... It's going to be a long winter waiting for this car to finally become real.
EvanRyan,

I agree what you said above.

Ford's real reason for introducing the RS, is to sell more lower end Focuses, by show an exotic top end Focus that is all but unobtainable to the pedestrian buyer, but gives them more confidence that the car they are buying comes from great technology, research, and heritage.

Ford is trying to get Focus to move ahead of Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla sales. And to eat into Honda Accord and Toyota Camry sales. It is actually a very smart marketing move.

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think things have died out more then expected. I got a call today from a dealer that was asking 5k first go around and now after a changs of heart will take 500 lol. I think all the die hard fans (myself included) may have driven an initial ADM fury, now things are dying off as Fords marketing kicks in. We will probably see another round of hype as the press cars roll out, but might be a good chance to pick up a car for those still looking.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I think things have died out more then expected. I got a call today from a dealer that was asking 5k first go around and now after a changs of heart will take 500 lol. I think all the die hard fans (myself included) may have driven an initial ADM fury, now things are dying off as Fords marketing kicks in. We will probably see another round of hype as the press cars roll out, but might be a good chance to pick up a car for those still looking.
The problem is the average Ford Focus buyer has no idea what an RS is and there is no way they would pay $36-$42K for a Focus. Only, the enthusiasts know what a RS is ? Even the RS commercials are cryptic/clueless. I think there will be a lot more media blitz closer to when the RS is actually delivered in Spring 2016. To mention it now is way too far ahead. Again, purpose of the RS is to sell more regular Focuses. Just as the purpose of the Shelby GT350R is to sell more Mustangs. Dealer greed will work on some enthusiasts now; but, some dealers will have high ADM's sitting on their showroom floor.

The more Ford throws out (leaks limited) and reissue the 2,000 number the more likely they will sell all at MSRP (even though some forum members are reporting under MSRP, one $1,000 under ( if really true then great) MSRP) and some dealers using all their salesman FUD techniques are able to sell with $500, $1,000, $1,500, $2,000, $2,500, $5,000, and even more ADM. But some dealers will fail and either have to lower their ADM or be stuck, especially if it actually turns out there are really plenty of RSs available. They have already pissed off the enthusiasts, so they will have to strong up-sell regular Focus customers. It will be very, very interesting.

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
418 Posts
I haven't even seen any 'media buzz' on this car yet. The only 'buzz' I've found was the stuff I actually looked for - and that info is few and far between. The media hasn't got a hold of this car yet. The fact that you can actually order one is barely known - even to most dealers!

I'm in Canada and got mine for $1500 below MSRP from my dealer (I used to work there a few years back in sales, and maintained a good relationship with the DP/GM). As a test to see where other dealerships stood, I called around to other dealers in the area. I'm near Toronto, so there are quite a few large and medium sized dealers. Out of the 3 dealers I called, only one knew you could order it and when production started. The other 2 had no clue! 2 of the 3 were able to find the price and they were both quoting MSRP. The fact that most dealers don't know anything yet is mostly due to the fact that there isn't much to know at this point because it's mostly under wraps at this point.

For anyone that works at any dealership, you know that most consumers are better informed about the vehicle they want to buy than the salesperson/dealership. From a sales person POV there is SO much to know/learn due to the varied lines and trims for all vehicles on the lot or otherwise. They simply can't know everything. Especially what's in the pipeline. Consumers POV is that they know what they want, are focused (pardon the pun) on just one maybe two choices and research the crap out of them and often know something the dealer doesn't.

...Sorry got a little side tracked there. lol

Anyhow. There is a lot more to come from the media as well as advertising from FOMOCO. My best guess is that we will see more after the auto show tour in the new year JAN/FEB right as the first RS's land at dealerships. Clever planning IMO.

We the few are lucky enough to be on the ball/obsessed and have placed our orders.

I tell ya what though.. the Canadian vs American market seems to be very different. I highly doubt we will see any dealers doing ADM. We're just too polite! lol

·
Registered
213 Posts

As someone still hunting an allocation, I'm still seeing quite a few still available allocations here in the Northeast. The caveat is these dealers are asking $5k-10k markup. Dealers that wanted MSRP all have their allocations spoken for (it seems).

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
IMO we are in the calm before the storm. If the performance is where we expect it to be, we will be in for another wave of frenzy.

Jim

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Part of it is that Ford has not released details worthy of reporting on, no media test drives (albeit a few from the UK are surfacing) so that is allowing the hype to die

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ford is just trickling it out to get through the next couple of months. I think they are being pretty brilliant with the marketing actually.

The real coverage will be in the Spring when they loan one to Randy Pobst to hot lap Laguna Seca. They will have the car dialed in and prepped to get the MT Car of the Year. Wait and see.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Not where I lived. Out of twelve dealerships near me, ten wanted $5-10K markup and it of about 40 allocated cars available to buy with this markup only one had been sold. Dealers are very greedy here and even enthusiasts won't pay $50K for a Focus. Just too much. Hoping the prices drop once the cars start arriving and dealers realize people won't pay such a premium.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Even the RS commercials are cryptic/clueless.
I have noticed this too. It seems that in the US, the RS commercials and the few RS billboards I've seen around the Bay Area don't really say much about what the RS actually is.

I am very curious to know what Ford's marketing strategy for the RS in the US is and what they plan to do closer to when the RS finally lands in the US.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's the same story down here in Australia, perhaps even less marketing thus far. No TV commercials, the only media we've had is one online article. My dealer has told me Ford are ramping it up from the new year and the frenzy will take over from there. I followed the Toyota/Subaru/Scion FR-S frenzy and that was the same - the diehards like us get in first then as soon as the likes of Chris Harris get hold of a test car, followed by mainstream magazines, the interest snowballs and you all of a sudden have a 12 month wait list. I am number 2 at my dealer so fingers crossed I get a first batch.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have noticed this too. It seems that in the US, the RS commercials and the few RS billboards I've seen around the Bay Area don't really say much about what the RS actually is.

I am very curious to know what Ford's marketing strategy for the RS in the US is and what they plan to do closer to when the RS finally lands in the US.
IMO the commercials are cryptic and they don't advertise incentives or prices, because they just want to make the Ford brand stronger. They don't need to tell you technical details in the commercials because the people that care (us) already know all the details. It's to make average customers think Ford is cool, so they go out and buy more F150s. Anyone shopping for a hot hatch already knows about the ST twins and the RS, the advertising is just for people that aren't us. They don't need to advertise the RS to sell it, but making a car like the RS and not showing it off is also silly. Which is why the advertising is the way it is.

·
Super Moderator
15,480 Posts
I'm disappointed since quite a few articles posted are nothing more than click bait with not a lot of substance.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I'm disappointed since quite a few articles posted are nothing more than click bait with not a lot of substance.
Marketing 101. One of the main purposes of the RS is to intrigue people and pull them into the dealerships to ASK QUESTIONS AND LEARN MORE. Ford's main goal IMHO is not to sell RSs but to sell Focuses and to sell a whole heck of a lot of them.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Super Moderator
15,480 Posts
Marketing 101. One of the main purposes of the RS is to intrigue people and pull them into the dealerships to ASK QUESTIONS AND LEARN MORE. Ford's main goal IMHO is not to sell RSs but to sell Focuses and to sell a whole heck of a lot of them.

YMMV,

MidCow3
I agree, the FoRS sells it self but unfortunately the majority of places you can call or visit don't know much at all about the FoRS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts