Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car has been up at the dealer for the last 3 weeks, waiting on the rear PTU seal. Originally it went in for a clutch replacement, under warranty of course, and during the job they obviously needed to replace the seal. Apparently there's a global back-order and they won't have any in for the foreseeable future. I've tried sourcing the part myself, no dealership in America has one, and OEM distributors are in the same boat. At this point I'm going bananas! I want to contact Ford corporate and complain, but I know it won't do any good. By the time I get my car back it will probably be over a month that it's been sitting there, getting paid for, but not driven. They did give me a Fiesta as a loaner, so I suppose I can't really be too mad about that.

This whole experience has really put me off Ford as a brand. I have NEVER had this issue with any other car manufacturer. I really don't even want to drive it once it's done, that's how ridiculous this whole experience has been for me. I could see if it was a motor, but it's just a stupid seal. A seal that has been known to leak at that. I know it's a first world problem and most people would say suck it up, but for me this is just a stupid experience.

More than likely I'll get it back, sell it as is with everything on it, or return it back to stock and trade it in on a GT-R or F80 M3. More expensive cars, more expensive parts, but there's a level of service that I've come to expect and those particular cars get treated well when they need to be taken in.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
So you're writing off a manufacturer because a part that's only found on a limited production vehicle is on back order. Sounds kind of silly.

There's people here that have waited far longer than a month for a body panel. They didn't seem near as upset as you.

·
Registered
715 Posts
If you're seriously able to trade an RS in on a new GT-R or new M3...okay. Yes, you will get a different level of service because the car is 2-3x the cost of the RS.

This is like complaining your food took to long too arrive flying coach so instead you're buying tickets solely first class on Emirates.

Congrats, you should probably trade in the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you're writing off a manufacturer because a part that's only found on a limited production vehicle is on back order. Sounds kind of silly.

There's people here that have waited far longer than a month for a body panel. They didn't seem near as upset as you.
Maybe they're fine with that, I'm not. A simple seal that'll take over a month to be delivered? Limited production car or not, that seems a little silly truthfully. Maybe you don't mind paying for a car that you can't drive over something so small, but I definitely do.

If you're seriously able to trade an RS in on a new GT-R or new M3...okay. Yes, you will get a different level of service because the car is 2-3x the cost of the RS.

This is like complaining your food took to long too arrive flying coach so instead you're buying tickets solely first class on Emirates.

Congrats, you should probably trade in the car.
I can see the analogy, but I'm pretty sure if you've received crap service at a place you would think twice about going back there. First world problems I'm sure, but if this is a trend, then why would I want my car to be down for a month or so at a time waiting for silly parts? Not a motor, not a transmission, but a seal. Major components I can waiting around. But for something this small that seems a little ridiculous.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get over yourself reco.
To each their own. Again First World problems.

YOU can think whatever you like, think I'm being unreasonable, but I have an expectation of service for my $40,000 purchase. To a lot of you my complaint is silly and that's fine. I'm probably in the minority when it comes to things like this. Not everyone would be upset over it, I get that, but this is the second time my car has gone in for service and taken longer than expected to complete. Same components were the hold up. The seals. So I'm supposed to "get over myself" when this looks like a trend? Sure, I'll bite.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think 3 weeks is kind of nuts, but I'd bring this up to Ford instead of here. Put that energy where it's needed.

Are you using the stock PTU brace with any tune and/or hard driving? I replaced mine with an upgraded brace to reduce flex stress in addition to RMM. It's a cheap investment that might help in the future if you keep the RS. Yeah yeah.... Ford probably should of done this to start, but they didn't.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Idk about you man but I'm committed to the RS. If waiting for parts that are for a limited car bug you, that's totally fine and I respect that. I think you should sell it and get something else

·
Registered
25 Posts
This whole experience has really put me off Ford as a brand. I have NEVER had this issue with any other car manufacturer. I really don't even want to drive it once it's done, that's how ridiculous this whole experience has been for me. I could see if it was a motor, but it's just a stupid seal. A seal that has been known to leak at that. I know it's a first world problem and most people would say suck it up, but for me this is just a stupid experience.

More than likely I'll get it back, sell it as is with everything on it, or return it back to stock and trade it in on a GT-R or F80 M3. More expensive cars, more expensive parts, but there's a level of service that I've come to expect and those particular cars get treated well when they need to be taken in.

Your logic is so massively flawed its nearly impossible to call you anything short of an idiot.

Better write off Subaru and Toyota, because the 86 had an ECU that took months to arrive.
Better write of BMW as they have M and 3 series parts on backorder often.
Better write off Dodge as they have Hellcat parts on backorder.
Better write off Nissan as they had GT-R parts on order.
Better not get a Honda as Si and Type-R parts are on back order.

Name ANY brand that does NOT have some parts on back order for a low production (or even high production)car that's less than 3yrs into production?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Playing devil's advocate here: if Ford designed the PTU sealing right to begin with there would not be a shortage of repair/replacement parts.

Just because it's a limited production car does not make it right for an owner to have to go through this.

Honestly I like Ford....but this is not right for someone to wait on parts this long as this issue has been known for sometime now. The OP is a bit off the loop, but man this kind of stuff is frustrating to see. The guy is simply venting which is understandable....but as another poster stated above, place that anger where it needs to be focused....at FORD.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Some of these people act like you punched their first born child for stating an issue.

No, it should not be taking a damn month to get a seal in for a seriously well known issue. Hoping you get some resolution soon.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
The irony of the situation is that the seal wasn’t even the problem. Correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that the issue was the installation procedure (including the installation tool)...not the seal itself.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Some of these people act like you punched their first born child for stating an issue.
That's hardly the case. The negative comments are in reference to the OP saying he's writing off Ford because parts for a low production car are on back order. If he applied those standards to every car manufacturer, he'd end up having to write off just about all of them. I think you both are being a little overly dramatic.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's hardly the case. The negative comments are in reference to the OP saying he's writing off Ford because parts for a low production car are on back order. If he applied those standards to every car manufacturer, he'd end up having to write off just about all of them. I think you both are being a little overly dramatic.
If you don’t agree that a month long wait for a seal is excessive you are drinking some delicious kool aid.

I didn’t speak to the writing off Ford comment, but let’s call a spade a spade if he has truly been waiting that long it’s a little ridiculous and he has a right to be impatient.

Where’s the drama? Sounds like realism to me.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If you don’t agree that a month long wait for a seal is excessive you are drinking some delicious kool aid.

I didn’t speak to the writing off Ford comment, but let’s call a spade a spade if he has truly been waiting that long it’s a little ridiculous and he has a right to be impatient.

Where’s the drama? Sounds like realism to me.
The drama is him writing off Ford and your first born child comment.

After waiting months for my 2016 to arrive, it showed up with 40 miles on it and a burned out clutch. I had to wait 1 1/2 months for a clutch after waiting 3 months for the car. Was I pissed? Yes. But did I spaz out and condemn Ford for the rest of time? No.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The drama is him writing off Ford and your first born child comment.

After waiting months for my 2016 to arrive, it showed up with 40 miles on it and a burned out clutch. I had to wait 1 1/2 months for a clutch after waiting 3 months for the car. Was I pissed? Yes. But did I spaz out and condemn Ford for the rest of time? No.
You are obviously a far better person, Ford is lucky to have such a patient buyer.

Spaz out? The guy posted on an Internet forum, step off your soapbox.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The irony of the situation is that the seal wasn’t even the problem. Correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that the issue was the installation procedure (including the installation tool)...not the seal itself.
If that's all it is with the RS PTU issue then that's a relief . This has been a problem on the Ford Edge and Escape models also, but not sure on specifics (heat related?). I do know several law firms started public inquiry from owners suffering from PTU related failures on Ford vehicles about 2 years ago. Not sure on the present state of that effort.... probably not enough money in it.

Is this issue relegated to 2016s only? That has been my impression.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
I agree that parts for this car from the manufacturer are super rare and take forever to appear when "heaven forbid" you need them. One of my biggest fears I have with this car is that someone backs into it and drives away, or worse someone rear ends me. I know I don't want my car to sit in storage lot purgatory for god knows how long... However if that is what needs to happen, I understand.

I also think that some of the impatient qualities we see here lately are from those buyers who didn't have the struggle of us that ordered 2016's an entire year before the cars hit the US shores. If I just walked into a dealership that had 6 RS's in the back lot, and all I had to do was pick my favorite... Yeah, I guess I'd be pissed too if a $2 part was keeping my car off the road for weeks.

Just spit ballin' :p

·
Registered
273 Posts
I agree that parts for this car from the manufacturer are super rare and take forever to appear when "heaven forbid" you need them. One of my biggest fears I have with this car is that someone backs into it and drives away, or worse someone rear ends me. I know I don't want my car to sit in storage lot purgatory for god knows how long... However if that is what needs to happen, I understand.

I also think that some of the impatient qualities we see here lately are from those buyers who didn't have the struggle of us that ordered 2016's an entire year before the cars hit the US shores. If I just walked into a dealership that had 6 RS's in the back lot, and all I had to do was pick my favorite... Yeah, I guess I'd be pissed too if a $2 part was keeping my car off the road for weeks.

Just spit ballin' :p
You are right, would be frustrating. However if Ford provided me with a car to drive to "soften me up" until my RS was ready I could then complain about the ride again...I kid. In this world where we expect things to be sorted out quickly just does not happen unfortunately. Noticed this older thread that I think is the same issue that many have posted and had repaired, some people multiple times. Guess we will all have this issue soon rather than later. Just the design I guess.

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/154-focus-rs-troubleshooting/12241-t-case-ptu-leaking-oil-out-axle-seal.html

·
Registered
523 Posts
You are foolish to think their aren't wait times for odd parts on GTRs or M3s. Even more of a fool if you think Nissan will treat you any better than Ford does when you bring a GTR in. (Provided your dealer even wants to handle it.) It's not a Ford only issue, heck I've been caught by it for nearly a whole season of motorcycling a few years back. Nothing ruins a whole year of riding like hitting a deer in spring and waiting all summer for the fairings to come in. Should I of sworn off Kawasaki and gone to a Honda because of it? What of the guy who lives in my complex who bought an old Camry because he was sick of paying for rentals waiting for his BMW to come back from the shop?

Grass is always greener on the other side until you step over and realize it's all the same old plastic turf.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts