Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided there wasn't a huge difference in price between the Ford set and a decent set from Tirerack, and these are unique and RS logo'd. Also wanted to lump the whole lot into one payment. Anyone else order theirs at the same time?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I'm still hoping my ST wheels will fit, then I can trade it in with the winters and keep the stockers then just acquire winter tires :) should save me a G

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I've heard a rumor that the ST wheels don't fit, but it was some random thing I came across. They said there was an issue with it clearing the outside of the caliper (offset issue). As of right now I don't think anyone knows except maybe some Ford engineers. I plan on keeping either my ST rims or my winter rims (both are 18s) depending on the what actually fits.

Having already gone through the process for the ST. You can definitely pick up a winter set for cheaper than $1700. However, you will either be buying steel rims (on an RS!?!?) or digging through craigslist for rims. I was able to find a decent looking set with all seasons for $250, but that was lucky. I have bought old ST rims off of craigslist and the some were bent and one was clearly heated up and repaired. So if you are looking for the hassle free way and also have the cost financed with your car, the package isn't really a bad option.

I should mention that I have the Alpin PA3s on my winter set. These are not that great in snow. If you live in an area that gets relatively little snow and you're getting the tires to be safer at sub 40° temperatures then go for it. However, I personally regret not getting actual snow tires like the Blizzak WS 80s or the X-Ice tires. The PA3s (and I assume PA4s) are great for dry and wet handling, but they kinda suck on ice and snow. I didn't feel a big difference from the snow performance of say the DWSs on my 2011 Focus. That's not to say it's really poor, because the DWS was a great tire, but it wasn't true snow tire level.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
No real winter where I live, but I put the winter package on too. I'm getting the cup2 tires and needed something else for winter or to just reduce wear on the cup2s. Also liked the idea of having RS optional wheel without needing to shop around for wheels I like that fit, the winter wheel looks good enough to me. I'll either look into selling the tires in the package or run them till done and plan to replace with the Continental DWS all-season performance tires.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I did. I kinda like the OE design and the cheapest TR package for an ST is ~$1400 anyways. Plus I'm getting the package at dealer cost.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I ordered the winter wheels/tires with my RS. I live in Rochester, New York...so winter is a "thing" here. I'll have the wheels painted a suitable black to match the whole Storm Trooper look that I'm going for. $1700 and made for the car/tested on the car seemed like an easy choice to me. I've never tried the Michelin Alpin snows; but I'm willing to give them a shot.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm still thinking about it. At this point, its not on my order but I feel it would be something they could add on later no problem. I really like the look of the 18 winter wheels, but for the price I may go the aftermarket route.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
No real winter where I live, but I put the winter package on too. I'm getting the cup2 tires and needed something else for winter or to just reduce wear on the cup2s. Also liked the idea of having RS optional wheel without needing to shop around for wheels I like that fit, the winter wheel looks good enough to me. I'll either look into selling the tires in the package or run them till done and plan to replace with the Continental DWS all-season performance tires.
I just rented a Mustang with all seasons when I went to STOA in Utah. I'm slowly moving over to the mentality of All Seasons = No Seasons. The summer performance is just SO much better with a good summer tire. The difference between all season and winter tires I think is less pronounced, but that Mustang was just depressing. Then we got in the class Mustangs with Pilot Super Sports on the second day OMG, the most fun ever. Although that's truly apples and oranges since were talking V6 Stock auto mustang on all seasons vs Race prepped V8 manual on summer tires at the track.

·
Registered
400 Posts
where are you guys seeing a winter wheel option? I'm looking at the online configurator (ford.com) and don't see any mention of it (or the car cover, for that matter)

·
Registered
13 Posts
i ordered the winter tire pack simply because i do have somewhat of a winter and i like the idea of putting it on my lift and swapping wheels and tires for the season so i dont have to compromise with an all season tire

·
Registered
441 Posts
Even though we don't get *that* much snow in Virginia (by frequency that is... We got a decent storm this year!), I went ahead and ordered them. I figure I'll wear out the winter tires, then replace them with some all-seasons or the closest thing to all terrain tires in that size I can find and use those from about October to May.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts