Ford Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
It just depends on what you are trying to do with the car. In my mind an EV is a commuter car. If you're trying to drive extensively everyday, it's probably not the best choice. My buddy drives his model 3 about 50 miles a day and chargers off 110. Between that and regenerative braking, he has no issue keeping the battery charged.

I'm going to be just plugging into 220 and it should charge about 14-17miles an hour.
That is correct. It fits some people life.
But my wife was in that same situation of low miles a day. But the way I looked at it for the price of the ev I could buy a better ice engine that has the ability to drive long drives. That’s what I don’t understand. Buying a car that severely limits your use. It’s like buying a pickup that can’t haul anything because it’s better on gas. Just seems like someone is trying to create a use for it. Like the same people that buy a diesel trying to convince themselves it will save money when in fact it will never.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,582 Posts
The next 10 years are going to be very interesting if Commiefornia's "plan" stays the course. I wonder what they think is gonna happen in 2035 when "everyone" has an EV... We can't even run air conditioners in our homes during Summer without rolling blackouts! You hear commercials all the time about conserving energy and only running your appliances between the hours of 1am and 2am (sarcasm) to lessen the stress on the power grid. What happens when we all need to charge our EVs? You're fooling yourself if you think the "gubment" can create the infrastructure needed in the next 20 years, let alone 10 years. They've been working on the same stretch of the 5 freeway here for like 15 YEARS!!!

And for those that think EVs are better for the environment because the batteries are recyclable... Have you seen the process required to recycle lithium ion batteries. It is extremely NASTY; exponentially worse than lead acid battery recycling. So much so that only specialized recyclers can manage it. The amount of noxious gases released is unreal. But you'll never hear that anywhere because it doesn't fit their agenda for pushing EVs as a clean alternative to ICEs. Just talk to any battery recycler about it.

Reactions: Tudor80

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I agree not to mention you will not save money. Michigan just announced a plan to go mostly green energy production. Closed 3 coal plants by me and now we have double rates between 2pm-7pm. That’s only gonna get worse.
I wouldn’t worry about Cali as they may not even be a functional state in 10 years.

·
Registered
317 Posts
That is correct. It fits some people life.
But my wife was in that same situation of low miles a day. But the way I looked at it for the price of the ev I could buy a better ice engine that has the ability to drive long drives. That’s what I don’t understand. Buying a car that severely limits your use. It’s like buying a pickup that can’t haul anything because it’s better on gas. Just seems like someone is trying to create a use for it. Like the same people that buy a diesel trying to convince themselves it will save money when in fact it will never.
I don't know if it severely limits use. My buddy drove his 3 all the way from California to Florida and he said it really wasn't that much of a pain. If he timed his stops around meals, it really didn't add that much time. I don't think it's the most ideal thing for long trips, but it still can be done. Just got to choose the right tool for the job. I just don't have any delusions about what it's best suited for.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It just depends on what you are trying to do with the car. In my mind an EV is a commuter car. If you're trying to drive extensively everyday, it's probably not the best choice. My buddy drives his model 3 about 50 miles a day and chargers off 110. Between that and regenerative braking, he has no issue keeping the battery charged.

I'm going to be just plugging into 220 and it should charge about 14-17miles an hour.
This is our experience too. We can cover a 50 mile round trip commute on 110v charging, so long as the car is plugged in 8-10 hours each night.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I don't know if it severely limits use. My buddy drove his 3 all the way from California to Florida and he said it really wasn't that much of a pain. If he timed his stops around meals, it really didn't add that much time. I don't think it's the most ideal thing for long trips, but it still can be done. Just got to choose the right tool for the job. I just don't have any delusions about what it's best suited for.
I've done a few road trips in my Model 3 also. Longest trip was about 500 miles...which in our small battery car took 3 charging stops to complete. It definitely adds time to the trip vs a gas car, but not as much as I expected (maybe just 30 min or 1 hour) given that we needed to stop to feed small kids anyway!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Sounds like a severe limit. Most people do t have or want the extra time added. As someone who drive 80k plus a year many trips taking more than 12 hours. Would you want to add another several hours to that. Turning a one day trip into two?
They are very limiting especially if driving them fast or hard they drop milage quick. So let’s calls these what they are. And let the people who’s life they fit buy them. But blowing smoke ups orifices doesn’t do anyone good.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I've done a few road trips in my Model 3 also. Longest trip was about 500 miles...which in our small battery car took 3 charging stops to complete. It definitely adds time to the trip vs a gas car, but not as much as I expected (maybe just 30 min or 1 hour) given that we needed to stop to feed small kids anyway!
The car fits your life and is probably a good fit. Especially with the kids for stops. Contrast that with not having to stop at all. Or one quick 10 min fill. Most daily commuters these would work for. I just get the feeling most people are shoe hiring them into life With all kinds a stupid. Like when the Kirby sales guy shows up and you convince yourself that vacuum has so many uses you can use it for and justify buying it and do non of the things you convinced yourself made it worth it.
Btw I am buying a Tesla truck through my friend. Mainly just want it because he gets to jump production line and get them first. I just wanna make a few friends jelly for a while.

·
Registered
2018 RS, 2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2021 MME GTPE
192 Posts
We love it. The acceleration never gets old. The "lack of soul" never leaves me wanting. It drives "smaller" than it's size. We wake up with a full tank of gas every morning. We were the first on the block to have one and paid sticker. It gets along with its garage mates with no squabbling. Zero regrets - completely satisfied.
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Grille

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently replaced my 2016 RS with a new Tesla Model 3 Performance and have been very happy with the change. In my case, the biggest issues I had with the RS were the amount of space available for a baby seat in the rear of the car (a very recent development that wasn't on the radar back when I bought it in 2016) and the harsh ride associated with a "sporty" car. Unlike any other car I've purchased in the past, I wasn't ever able to test drive an RS before buying one, since they were impossible to find back in 2016. I actually had to wait more than half a year for my RS between when it was ordered and when it showed up, so I never got to experience how hard the ride actually was until I picked it up from the dealership. That said, even if I had test driven it, I still would have bought it. At the time, there was nothing else that came close to the RS in my mind in terms of the boxes it checked. That's pretty much the same way I feel about my new Tesla.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

21 - 33 of 33 Posts