Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
EV is absolutely going to be my next car purchase considering my current fleet average is sub 20 mpg. Likely an F150 Lightning Pro as much as I dislike trucks otherwise maybe the Kia EV6.

There are still so many issues with going EV that we are nowhere close to mass adoption: High cost of entry (markups, low availability, industry still focused on luxury/high end, EV tax credits are only afforded to the wealthy, EV license taxes, higher than average insurance cost), multiple charging standards, difficult-to-impossible charging for multi-family type housing, huge varying charge times by manufacturer and battery type, range considerations depending on your environment, etc. Not to mention how fragile our current energy grid is on demand load.

The industry sees the writing on the wall but car development takes time, investment, and resources. Maybe over the next 10 years with enough government support, infrastructure improvements (more available charging stations with sufficient parking), and more EV incentives.

That all being said, I'll always have an ICE vehicle for recreation even at double the current gas prices. You can pry that from my cold, dead hands.

·
Registered
156 Posts
problem is the writing on the wall is done by a 5 yo. Only reason is an unelected body the epa is doing everything it can in the name of climate change to remove fossil fuel. That was after the term global warming didnt work out.
I’m all for clean environment but I won’t kid myself into believe that they are cleaner. Especially since the major pollutants come from China because we shifted all manufacturing and mining to them. It’s like farting into the wind and thinking it won’t hit you in the face.
There are many personal benefits to going EV that make them much more compelling over ICE, especially if you are a homeowner or live in a major city.

1. EVs are faster flat out.
  2. EVs require less maintenance and have far less moving parts.
  3. EV batteries have shown, on average, that the degration is overblown with sufficient cooling. They are also mostly if not fully recycable.
  4. EVs have demonstrably lower CO2 emissions than ICE vehicles. This is really important for local smog.
  5. EVs are basically silent (for better or worse) which is great for noise pollution.
  6. EVs can be charged at home so no more gas stations. Most people will charge overnight which doesn't require rapid charging that everyone gets so hung up about, unless you don't own a home.
Wanting to own an EV is neither a political or environmental choice for me and probably for a lot of the target buyers for EVs right now. It's just an objectively better car for your average single family home owner suburb commuter making good money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts