Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
There are many personal benefits to going EV that make them much more compelling over ICE, especially if you are a homeowner or live in a major city.

1. EVs are faster flat out.
  2. EVs require less maintenance and have far less moving parts.
  3. EV batteries have shown, on average, that the degration is overblown with sufficient cooling. They are also mostly if not fully recycable.
  4. EVs have demonstrably lower CO2 emissions than ICE vehicles. This is really important for local smog.
  5. EVs are basically silent (for better or worse) which is great for noise pollution.
  6. EVs can be charged at home so no more gas stations. Most people will charge overnight which doesn't require rapid charging that everyone gets so hung up about, unless you don't own a home.
Wanting to own an EV is neither a political or environmental choice for me and probably for a lot of the target buyers for EVs right now. It's just an objectively better car for your average single family home owner suburb commuter making good money.
i just like the idea of having the versatility of both a gas and electric car in our house. I’m picking up a model Y performance next Saturday. It will be our in and around town and my work commuter car. We will have the wife’s bronco sport for longer road trips and her work commute.

I’m not a fan of throwing all my eggs in one basket when it comes to energy. Our energy options should be versatile and sustainable first and foremost IMO. Would love to go to a totally renewable energy source, but we shouldn’t cut our legs off and tie our hands behind our back to get there.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Lol, my bad…um yeah ICE cars are killing all the polar bears and if you don’t embrace the EV craze you’re racist! That better?

This response is far too reasonable for an internet forum. How dare you.

/s

We just got our first EV, a Rivian, two weeks ago and have really enjoyed it so far. It's been a fun getting used to the quirks and capabilities of the e-truck. A little more here: If you had to upgrade the RS today, what would you get?
View attachment 361077

·
Registered
317 Posts
As for charging at home most won’t charge your battery to full charge overnight unless you get a quick charger.

It just depends on what you are trying to do with the car. In my mind an EV is a commuter car. If you're trying to drive extensively everyday, it's probably not the best choice. My buddy drives his model 3 about 50 miles a day and chargers off 110. Between that and regenerative braking, he has no issue keeping the battery charged.

I'm going to be just plugging into 220 and it should charge about 14-17miles an hour.

·
Registered
317 Posts
That is correct. It fits some people life.
But my wife was in that same situation of low miles a day. But the way I looked at it for the price of the ev I could buy a better ice engine that has the ability to drive long drives. That’s what I don’t understand. Buying a car that severely limits your use. It’s like buying a pickup that can’t haul anything because it’s better on gas. Just seems like someone is trying to create a use for it. Like the same people that buy a diesel trying to convince themselves it will save money when in fact it will never.
I don't know if it severely limits use. My buddy drove his 3 all the way from California to Florida and he said it really wasn't that much of a pain. If he timed his stops around meals, it really didn't add that much time. I don't think it's the most ideal thing for long trips, but it still can be done. Just got to choose the right tool for the job. I just don't have any delusions about what it's best suited for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts