Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys have an electric vehicle in the garage alongside your RS's? If you do, which model is it and how to you like it?

My wife and I bought a Tesla Model 3 a few years ago. (It replaced her E90 M3 that broke down so much we couldn't take it!) Even though I love the manual CTS-V that's "my car," I find myself taking her Tesla more frequently that the V. Some of it is wanting to keep miles off my V, but it's equally true that the Model 3 is quieter and more calming thanks to its electric powertrain. I also really like the "self driving" Level 2 cruise control on long highway trips.

Don't get me wrong, my gas-guzzling manual wagon is a keeper and the Model 3 isn't, but sometimes I just want a nice appliance.

Up until last month, the Model 3 was my favorite EV. It's surprisingly practical considering its size, and it's decent enough on a twisty road. But then I tried a Tesla Model Y SUV (my review is here) and found that most of my complaints with the Model 3 -- bad blind spots on the A-pillars, stiff ride, noisy highway ride -- were resolved with the Model Y. So now I have a new favorite EV...at least until I try a Porsche Taycan or Audi e-tron GT! 馃槀

I'd love to hear what you drive when you just want an appliance!

Best,
Mike

The wife's Model 3

The Model Y I drove

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That all being said, I'll always have an ICE vehicle for recreation even at double the current gas prices. You can pry that from my cold, dead hands.
Yeah, none of the EVs I've tried have had the emotion factor of the Focus RS or any other great ICE car. But for unavoidably dull driving, I'd rather be in a decent EV for quiet and smoothness!

I'm also happy with how low-maintenance EV ownership is. Its mostly cabin air filters and tires to wear out...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It just depends on what you are trying to do with the car. In my mind an EV is a commuter car. If you're trying to drive extensively everyday, it's probably not the best choice. My buddy drives his model 3 about 50 miles a day and chargers off 110. Between that and regenerative braking, he has no issue keeping the battery charged.

I'm going to be just plugging into 220 and it should charge about 14-17miles an hour.
This is our experience too. We can cover a 50 mile round trip commute on 110v charging, so long as the car is plugged in 8-10 hours each night.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I don't know if it severely limits use. My buddy drove his 3 all the way from California to Florida and he said it really wasn't that much of a pain. If he timed his stops around meals, it really didn't add that much time. I don't think it's the most ideal thing for long trips, but it still can be done. Just got to choose the right tool for the job. I just don't have any delusions about what it's best suited for.
I've done a few road trips in my Model 3 also. Longest trip was about 500 miles...which in our small battery car took 3 charging stops to complete. It definitely adds time to the trip vs a gas car, but not as much as I expected (maybe just 30 min or 1 hour) given that we needed to stop to feed small kids anyway!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts