Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Nope. Like some of them but the cost never pans ours for me. Find an equivalent car with ice and it’s always cheaper.
Second part of me refuses to buy one based on principle. Tax payers should not have to pay for part of your car. If they were that good they would sell without the help.
Plus I have a real problem with being force to do something. Here is how I see it first they say no more modifications for cars no tunes, exhaust or anything. Make ice less fun. Thenforce the car companies to go ev. Even if people do t want them. Then when they don’t sell bail them out again. Not to mention what happens when the only place you can get power is for a government controlled power company. Ever try having a dispute withyour company good luck.
So I don’t just out of principal. Let the companies try and build something that wo t sell and see how long that lasts.
So it’s not like they are not decent cars I actually like some but I won’t be like the guy at McDonald’s encouraging customers to use self check out knowing it will replace me.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Well put.
It’s comin’, no matter what.
The problem I have is..one person says, phfft, my toaster draws more current, and it will recharge in 20 min. The next person says, the grid will melt, if one more Tesla gets plugged in.
NOBODY knows.
I think it will be like the 70’s they will build cars that nobody buys them have to go back. We do know the grid cannot support the rapid grow of ev’s from the government epa regulations on the ice. The people that say it’s fine are the same ones who think you can print more money and not devalue the current money you have. Or that debt is just a number. They are not to bright and simple math is not on their Side. They also believe math is racist.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
EV is absolutely going to be my next car purchase considering my current fleet average is sub 20 mpg. Likely an F150 Lightning Pro as much as I dislike trucks otherwise maybe the Kia EV6.

There are still so many issues with going EV that we are nowhere close to mass adoption: High cost of entry (markups, low availability, industry still focused on luxury/high end, EV tax credits are only afforded to the wealthy, EV license taxes, higher than average insurance cost), multiple charging standards, difficult-to-impossible charging for multi-family type housing, huge varying charge times by manufacturer and battery type, range considerations depending on your environment, etc. Not to mention how fragile our current energy grid is on demand load.

The industry sees the writing on the wall but car development takes time, investment, and resources. Maybe over the next 10 years with enough government support, infrastructure improvements (more available charging stations with sufficient parking), and more EV incentives.

That all being said, I'll always have an ICE vehicle for recreation even at double the current gas prices. You can pry that from my cold, dead hands.
problem is the writing on the wall is done by a 5 yo. Only reason is an unelected body the epa is doing everything it can in the name of climate change to remove fossil fuel. That was after the term global warming didnt work out.
I’m all for clean environment but I won’t kid myself into believe that they are cleaner. Especially since the major pollutants come from China because we shifted all manufacturing and mining to them. It’s like farting into the wind and thinking it won’t hit you in the face.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
There are many personal benefits to going EV that make them much more compelling over ICE, especially if you are a homeowner or live in a major city.

1. EVs are faster flat out.
  2. EVs require less maintenance and have far less moving parts.
  3. EV batteries have shown, on average, that the degration is overblown with sufficient cooling. They are also mostly if not fully recycable.
  4. EVs have demonstrably lower CO2 emissions than ICE vehicles. This is really important for local smog.
  5. EVs are basically silent (for better or worse) which is great for noise pollution.
  6. EVs can be charged at home so no more gas stations. Most people will charge overnight which doesn't require rapid charging that everyone gets so hung up about, unless you There are many personal benefits to going EV that make them much more compelling over ICE, especially if you are a homeowner or live in a major city.

1. EVs are faster flat out.
  2. EVs require less maintenance and have far less moving parts.
  3. EV batteries have shown, on average, that the degration is overblown with sufficient cooling. They are also mostly if not fully recycable.
  4. EVs have demonstrably lower CO2 emissions than ICE vehicles. This is really important for local smog.
  5. EVs are basically silent (for better or worse) which is great for noise pollution.
  6. EVs can be charged at home so no more gas stations. Most people will charge overnight which doesn't require rapid charging that everyone gets so hung up about, unless you don't own a home.
Wanting to own an EV is neither a political or environmental choice for me and probably for a lot of the target buyers for EVs right now. It's just an objectively better car for your average single family home owner suburb commuter making good money.
Well first we do t know if they truly require less maintenance because they are not in enough hands and not many manufacturers really making them. Time will tell when more average people drive then. Say the guy in the Chevy truck that abuses it like he would his truck. Plus who cares if the maintenance they do need is 50 time more expensive. Check out the class action against John Deere.
Battery life is the real problem whether you care to believe that or not. Even Tesla stats that.
I happen to have a friend that works for them in development. No over hyped sales pitch form him.
They will not be silent long. In fact the government is looking. At making them add noise for safety but who knows how much.
As for charging at home most won’t charge your battery to full charge overnight unless you get a quick charger.

I think they have a real space in the market like you stated in cities and for mass transportation. Things like that but they simple are peeing pushed on us. The mess of problems that surround ev’s currently are not worth it yet.
If the market truly wanted or needed them they would not need government pushing them. They would simply come naturally
I understand it may not be political or environment for you which is the way it should be. But because of the current government push it because that.
They will push themas hard as they could through regulations and subsidies until they can say ev’s make up most the market thus making manufactures abandon ice for good.
It’s like the guys at McDonald’s helping customers learn to use kiosk. Sounds like less work till you realize you shot yourself in the foot.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It just depends on what you are trying to do with the car. In my mind an EV is a commuter car. If you're trying to drive extensively everyday, it's probably not the best choice. My buddy drives his model 3 about 50 miles a day and chargers off 110. Between that and regenerative braking, he has no issue keeping the battery charged.

I'm going to be just plugging into 220 and it should charge about 14-17miles an hour.
That is correct. It fits some people life.
But my wife was in that same situation of low miles a day. But the way I looked at it for the price of the ev I could buy a better ice engine that has the ability to drive long drives. That’s what I don’t understand. Buying a car that severely limits your use. It’s like buying a pickup that can’t haul anything because it’s better on gas. Just seems like someone is trying to create a use for it. Like the same people that buy a diesel trying to convince themselves it will save money when in fact it will never.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I agree not to mention you will not save money. Michigan just announced a plan to go mostly green energy production. Closed 3 coal plants by me and now we have double rates between 2pm-7pm. That’s only gonna get worse.
I wouldn’t worry about Cali as they may not even be a functional state in 10 years.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I don't know if it severely limits use. My buddy drove his 3 all the way from California to Florida and he said it really wasn't that much of a pain. If he timed his stops around meals, it really didn't add that much time. I don't think it's the most ideal thing for long trips, but it still can be done. Just got to choose the right tool for the job. I just don't have any delusions about what it's best suited for.
Sounds like a severe limit. Most people do t have or want the extra time added. As someone who drive 80k plus a year many trips taking more than 12 hours. Would you want to add another several hours to that. Turning a one day trip into two?
They are very limiting especially if driving them fast or hard they drop milage quick. So let’s calls these what they are. And let the people who’s life they fit buy them. But blowing smoke ups orifices doesn’t do anyone good.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I've done a few road trips in my Model 3 also. Longest trip was about 500 miles...which in our small battery car took 3 charging stops to complete. It definitely adds time to the trip vs a gas car, but not as much as I expected (maybe just 30 min or 1 hour) given that we needed to stop to feed small kids anyway!
The car fits your life and is probably a good fit. Especially with the kids for stops. Contrast that with not having to stop at all. Or one quick 10 min fill. Most daily commuters these would work for. I just get the feeling most people are shoe hiring them into life With all kinds a stupid. Like when the Kirby sales guy shows up and you convince yourself that vacuum has so many uses you can use it for and justify buying it and do non of the things you convinced yourself made it worth it.
Btw I am buying a Tesla truck through my friend. Mainly just want it because he gets to jump production line and get them first. I just wanna make a few friends jelly for a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts