Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys have an electric vehicle in the garage alongside your RS's? If you do, which model is it and how to you like it?

My wife and I bought a Tesla Model 3 a few years ago. (It replaced her E90 M3 that broke down so much we couldn't take it!) Even though I love the manual CTS-V that's "my car," I find myself taking her Tesla more frequently that the V. Some of it is wanting to keep miles off my V, but it's equally true that the Model 3 is quieter and more calming thanks to its electric powertrain. I also really like the "self driving" Level 2 cruise control on long highway trips.

Don't get me wrong, my gas-guzzling manual wagon is a keeper and the Model 3 isn't, but sometimes I just want a nice appliance.

Up until last month, the Model 3 was my favorite EV. It's surprisingly practical considering its size, and it's decent enough on a twisty road. But then I tried a Tesla Model Y SUV (my review is here) and found that most of my complaints with the Model 3 -- bad blind spots on the A-pillars, stiff ride, noisy highway ride -- were resolved with the Model Y. So now I have a new favorite EV...at least until I try a Porsche Taycan or Audi e-tron GT! 馃槀

I'd love to hear what you drive when you just want an appliance!

Best,
Mike

The wife's Model 3

The Model Y I drove

Registered
Nope. Like some of them but the cost never pans ours for me. Find an equivalent car with ice and it鈥檚 always cheaper.
Second part of me refuses to buy one based on principle. Tax payers should not have to pay for part of your car. If they were that good they would sell without the help.
Plus I have a real problem with being force to do something. Here is how I see it first they say no more modifications for cars no tunes, exhaust or anything. Make ice less fun. Thenforce the car companies to go ev. Even if people do t want them. Then when they don鈥檛 sell bail them out again. Not to mention what happens when the only place you can get power is for a government controlled power company. Ever try having a dispute withyour company good luck.
So I don鈥檛 just out of principal. Let the companies try and build something that wo t sell and see how long that lasts.
So it鈥檚 not like they are not decent cars I actually like some but I won鈥檛 be like the guy at McDonald鈥檚 encouraging customers to use self check out knowing it will replace me.

Premium Member
Nope. Like some of them but the cost never pans ours for me. Find an equivalent car with ice and it鈥檚 always cheaper.
Second part of me refuses to buy one based on principle. Tax payers should not have to pay for part of your car. If they were that good they would sell without the help.
Plus I have a real problem with being force to do something. Here is how I see it first they say no more modifications for cars no tunes, exhaust or anything. Make ice less fun. Thenforce the car companies to go ev. Even if people do t want them. Then when they don鈥檛 sell bail them out again. Not to mention what happens when the only place you can get power is for a government controlled power company. Ever try having a dispute withyour company good luck.
So I don鈥檛 just out of principal. Let the companies try and build something that wo t sell and see how long that lasts.
So it鈥檚 not like they are not decent cars I actually like some but I won鈥檛 be like the guy at McDonald鈥檚 encouraging customers to use self check out knowing it will replace me.
Well put.
It鈥檚 comin鈥, no matter what.
The problem I have is..one person says, phfft, my toaster draws more current, and it will recharge in 20 min. The next person says, the grid will melt, if one more Tesla gets plugged in.
NOBODY knows.

Registered
I may well own one some day, but if and when I do, it would be because I WANT ONE, and not because the Klimate Kult has seized control of the Executive Branch and is attempting to make a Forced Convert of me. They are the Necromongers of Green. And, What Snox said! (y) Two other issues are much of the lithium and nickel that go into EV batts comes from Communist Chinese owned/operated mining facilities, which means buying an EV helps to finance our arch enemy, and as with all rechargeable battery packs; I suspect EV battpacs have a finite recharge life span; implying they'll have to be replaced at some point?

I'm glad the EV works out for you and your wife, it's good looking and by all accounts a great car! Great pics and scenery! :cool:

Registered
EV is absolutely going to be my next car purchase considering my current fleet average is sub 20 mpg. Likely an F150 Lightning Pro as much as I dislike trucks otherwise maybe the Kia EV6.

There are still so many issues with going EV that we are nowhere close to mass adoption: High cost of entry (markups, low availability, industry still focused on luxury/high end, EV tax credits are only afforded to the wealthy, EV license taxes, higher than average insurance cost), multiple charging standards, difficult-to-impossible charging for multi-family type housing, huge varying charge times by manufacturer and battery type, range considerations depending on your environment, etc. Not to mention how fragile our current energy grid is on demand load.

The industry sees the writing on the wall but car development takes time, investment, and resources. Maybe over the next 10 years with enough government support, infrastructure improvements (more available charging stations with sufficient parking), and more EV incentives.

That all being said, I'll always have an ICE vehicle for recreation even at double the current gas prices. You can pry that from my cold, dead hands.

Registered
Next generation Ranger has some low hanging rumors about a plug in hybrid version. That could be interesting. The Raptor certainly does a lot more for the heart though, but I suspect it's going to be impossible to buy at a reasonable price. A plug in Ranger would work fantastic for hauling the bikes and commuting on the cheap while allowing the RS to stick around for fun.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That all being said, I'll always have an ICE vehicle for recreation even at double the current gas prices. You can pry that from my cold, dead hands.
Yeah, none of the EVs I've tried have had the emotion factor of the Focus RS or any other great ICE car. But for unavoidably dull driving, I'd rather be in a decent EV for quiet and smoothness!

I'm also happy with how low-maintenance EV ownership is. Its mostly cabin air filters and tires to wear out...

Registered
Well put.
It鈥檚 comin鈥, no matter what.
The problem I have is..one person says, phfft, my toaster draws more current, and it will recharge in 20 min. The next person says, the grid will melt, if one more Tesla gets plugged in.
NOBODY knows.
I think it will be like the 70鈥檚 they will build cars that nobody buys them have to go back. We do know the grid cannot support the rapid grow of ev鈥檚 from the government epa regulations on the ice. The people that say it鈥檚 fine are the same ones who think you can print more money and not devalue the current money you have. Or that debt is just a number. They are not to bright and simple math is not on their Side. They also believe math is racist.

Registered
EV is absolutely going to be my next car purchase considering my current fleet average is sub 20 mpg. Likely an F150 Lightning Pro as much as I dislike trucks otherwise maybe the Kia EV6.

There are still so many issues with going EV that we are nowhere close to mass adoption: High cost of entry (markups, low availability, industry still focused on luxury/high end, EV tax credits are only afforded to the wealthy, EV license taxes, higher than average insurance cost), multiple charging standards, difficult-to-impossible charging for multi-family type housing, huge varying charge times by manufacturer and battery type, range considerations depending on your environment, etc. Not to mention how fragile our current energy grid is on demand load.

The industry sees the writing on the wall but car development takes time, investment, and resources. Maybe over the next 10 years with enough government support, infrastructure improvements (more available charging stations with sufficient parking), and more EV incentives.

problem is the writing on the wall is done by a 5 yo. Only reason is an unelected body the epa is doing everything it can in the name of climate change to remove fossil fuel. That was after the term global warming didnt work out.
I鈥檓 all for clean environment but I won鈥檛 kid myself into believe that they are cleaner. Especially since the major pollutants come from China because we shifted all manufacturing and mining to them. It鈥檚 like farting into the wind and thinking it won鈥檛 hit you in the face.

Registered
problem is the writing on the wall is done by a 5 yo. Only reason is an unelected body the epa is doing everything it can in the name of climate change to remove fossil fuel. That was after the term global warming didnt work out.
I鈥檓 all for clean environment but I won鈥檛 kid myself into believe that they are cleaner. Especially since the major pollutants come from China because we shifted all manufacturing and mining to them. It鈥檚 like farting into the wind and thinking it won鈥檛 hit you in the face.
There are many personal benefits to going EV that make them much more compelling over ICE, especially if you are a homeowner or live in a major city.

1. EVs are faster flat out.
  2. EVs require less maintenance and have far less moving parts.
  3. EV batteries have shown, on average, that the degration is overblown with sufficient cooling. They are also mostly if not fully recycable.
  4. EVs have demonstrably lower CO2 emissions than ICE vehicles. This is really important for local smog.
  5. EVs are basically silent (for better or worse) which is great for noise pollution.
  6. EVs can be charged at home so no more gas stations. Most people will charge overnight which doesn't require rapid charging that everyone gets so hung up about, unless you don't own a home.
Wanting to own an EV is neither a political or environmental choice for me and probably for a lot of the target buyers for EVs right now. It's just an objectively better car for your average single family home owner suburb commuter making good money.

Premium Member
2017 Focus RS (Canada) / 2009 VW Golf GTI / 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD
No. Absolutely not. They are too heavy and lack soul. I refuse to buy another driving appliance in my lifetime; fun cars only from the soulless Outlander purchase onward . I will get an EV when I have no choice, and not one minute sooner.

Registered
There are many personal benefits to going EV that make them much more compelling over ICE, especially if you are a homeowner or live in a major city.

3. EV batteries have shown, on average, that the degration is overblown with sufficient cooling. They are also mostly if not fully recycable.
  4. EVs have demonstrably lower CO2 emissions than ICE vehicles. This is really important for local smog.
  5. EVs are basically silent (for better or worse) which is great for noise pollution.
  6. EVs can be charged at home so no more gas stations. Most people will charge overnight which doesn't require rapid charging that everyone gets so hung up about, unless you don't own a home.
Wanting to own an EV is neither a political or environmental choice for me and probably for a lot of the target buyers for EVs right now. It's just an objectively better car for your average single family home owner suburb commuter making good money.
i just like the idea of having the versatility of both a gas and electric car in our house. I鈥檓 picking up a model Y performance next Saturday. It will be our in and around town and my work commuter car. We will have the wife鈥檚 bronco sport for longer road trips and her work commute.

I鈥檓 not a fan of throwing all my eggs in one basket when it comes to energy. Our energy options should be versatile and sustainable first and foremost IMO. Would love to go to a totally renewable energy source, but we shouldn鈥檛 cut our legs off and tie our hands behind our back to get there.

Registered
i just like the idea of having the versatility of both a gas and electric car in our house. I鈥檓 picking up a model Y performance next Saturday. It will be our in and around town and my work commuter car. We will have the wife鈥檚 bronco sport for longer road trips and her work commute.

I鈥檓 not a fan of throwing all my eggs in one basket when it comes to energy. Our energy options should be versatile and sustainable first and foremost IMO. Would love to go to a totally renewable energy source, but we shouldn鈥檛 cut our legs off and tie our hands behind our back to get there.
This response is far too reasonable for an internet forum. How dare you.

/s

Do any of you guys have an electric vehicle in the garage alongside your RS's? If you do, which model is it and how to you like it?
We just got our first EV, a Rivian, two weeks ago and have really enjoyed it so far. It's been a fun getting used to the quirks and capabilities of the e-truck. A little more here: If you had to upgrade the RS today, what would you get?
Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

Registered
Lol, my bad鈥m yeah ICE cars are killing all the polar bears and if you don鈥檛 embrace the EV craze you鈥檙e racist! That better?

This response is far too reasonable for an internet forum. How dare you.

/s

We just got our first EV, a Rivian, two weeks ago and have really enjoyed it so far. It's been a fun getting used to the quirks and capabilities of the e-truck. A little more here: If you had to upgrade the RS today, what would you get?
View attachment 361077

Registered

6. EVs can be charged at home so no more gas stations. Most people will charge overnight which doesn't require rapid charging that everyone gets so hung up about, unless you There are many personal benefits to going EV that make them much more compelling over ICE, especially if you are a homeowner or live in a major city.

Well first we do t know if they truly require less maintenance because they are not in enough hands and not many manufacturers really making them. Time will tell when more average people drive then. Say the guy in the Chevy truck that abuses it like he would his truck. Plus who cares if the maintenance they do need is 50 time more expensive. Check out the class action against John Deere.
Battery life is the real problem whether you care to believe that or not. Even Tesla stats that.
I happen to have a friend that works for them in development. No over hyped sales pitch form him.
They will not be silent long. In fact the government is looking. At making them add noise for safety but who knows how much.
As for charging at home most won鈥檛 charge your battery to full charge overnight unless you get a quick charger.

I think they have a real space in the market like you stated in cities and for mass transportation. Things like that but they simple are peeing pushed on us. The mess of problems that surround ev鈥檚 currently are not worth it yet.
If the market truly wanted or needed them they would not need government pushing them. They would simply come naturally
I understand it may not be political or environment for you which is the way it should be. But because of the current government push it because that.
They will push themas hard as they could through regulations and subsidies until they can say ev鈥檚 make up most the market thus making manufactures abandon ice for good.
It鈥檚 like the guys at McDonald鈥檚 helping customers learn to use kiosk. Sounds like less work till you realize you shot yourself in the foot.

Registered
As for charging at home most won鈥檛 charge your battery to full charge overnight unless you get a quick charger.

It just depends on what you are trying to do with the car. In my mind an EV is a commuter car. If you're trying to drive extensively everyday, it's probably not the best choice. My buddy drives his model 3 about 50 miles a day and chargers off 110. Between that and regenerative braking, he has no issue keeping the battery charged.

I'm going to be just plugging into 220 and it should charge about 14-17miles an hour.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts