Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with alphadark the other day and he mentioned that on hard shifts, it sounds like the motor hitting the firewall. I was wondering if anybody else has that problem?

I know the motor isn't actually hitting the firewall, and that the factory rear motor mount is just maxing its range of motion out with the engine movement. But having heard that sound before, I know how unnerving it is. Fortunately, it looks like the RS shares some motor mount design with the ST and there is already a solution for it.

The cp-e motor mounts are available for the RS in both 55A and 70A durometer and will eliminate that extreme motor movement and help put more power to the ground.

The cp-e xFlex Stage 1 Rear Engine Mount keeps the engine from moving back and forth and is the most commonly replaced of the motor mounts as it makes the biggest and most noticeable performance difference.

The cp-e Motor Mounts all use EPDM which is a rubber material that can stand up to higher temperatures than Urethane and doesn't require as high of a durometer to hold itself together due to EPDM being a denser material. Because of this, the EPDM bushings do not transfer as much vibration into the cabin and allow you to keep your ride quality at a much higher level.

While the rear motor mount fights against the back and forth rocking motion, the side mounts handle gravity and side to side motion from cornering. They will help keep the motor planted in the high G corners that the Focus RS is very capable of achieving.

All together, the following options are available.

cp-e xFlex Rear Engine Mount Stage 1 55 Duro - $138.65
cp-e xFlex Rear Engine Mount Stage 1 75 Duro - $138.65

cp-e xFlex Drivers Side (trans) Mount 55 Duro - $279.10
cp-e xFlex Drivers Side (trans) Mount 70 Duro - $279.10

cp-e xFlex Passenger Side (timing cover) Mount 55 Duro - $296.84
cp-e xFlex Passenger Side (timing cover) Mount 70 Duro - $296.84

If you're having trouble deciding what duro to get, I suggest you look at the use for the car. If you plan on a lot of track time or AutoX, you may want to consider the stiffer mounts at the cost of a few more vibrations. If you just want to be able shift hard without the loud bang, but you don't get aggressive a lot, then the lower duro would be more suited for you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I went with the mountune rmm and its a world of difference

·
Registered
211 Posts
When is the stage 2 rear mount hitting the ground?
I've been pestering CP-E for a while now about the stage 2 mount, and here is the latest as of Tuesday.

"Hey Brandon, we've pretty much finalized this product, it's just waiting to go to anodizing from what I understand.
I asked our engineer for a time to market on it, so I'll let you know when he gets back to me."
"The expected time till it is on a shelf ready to ship is about a month. We're still logging some driving miles on it to make sure that we're 100% happy with the durometer choice."

So, have another month to wait before stage 2 mount becomes available. I'm eagerly awaiting it, but looks like I won't be able to get it in time before I have to park the car for winter. It will be a next year mod for me :D

·
Registered
742 Posts
I've been pestering CP-E for a while now about the stage 2 mount, and here is the latest as of Tuesday.

"Hey Brandon, we've pretty much finalized this product, it's just waiting to go to anodizing from what I understand.
I asked our engineer for a time to market on it, so I'll let you know when he gets back to me."
"The expected time till it is on a shelf ready to ship is about a month. We're still logging some driving miles on it to make sure that we're 100% happy with the durometer choice."

So, have another month to wait before stage 2 mount becomes available. I'm eagerly awaiting it, but looks like I won't be able to get it in time before I have to park the car for winter. It will be a next year mod for me :D
SWEET. I pick up my car today, so it should be available just as she is broken in. That is great timing!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts

I've been consistently checking back as well. Last I was told matches what you have there...September. At this point it's close enough and I need to space out all of the mods I've been spending money on lol.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sorry for being a noob, but how severe of gas pedal-trompage is required to get the engine jumping around enough to start thinking about replacement motor mounts?

I.e., just pulling away, um, "robustly" from a stoplight, passing at freeway speed, or what?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Sorry for being a noob, but how severe of gas pedal-trompage is required to get the engine jumping around enough to start thinking about replacement motor mounts?

I.e., just pulling away, um, "robustly" from a stoplight, passing at freeway speed, or what?
I don't think we will need any mounts on stock power. Maybe after those 380 hp, and 400 hp Cobb AP kits +Tune+, definitely.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

using launch control will net you the noise being discussed

I don't think we will need any mounts on stock power. Maybe after those 380 hp, and 400 hp Cobb AP kits +Tune+, definitely.
Stock RS with LC equals the clanking.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I pulled the trigger tonight for a cobb rmm and alot of peeps are saying it feels smoother for shifting so that will be a plus when I upload the tune+ tomorrow

·
Vendor
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Launching the car or any hard shift from 1 to 2 or from 2 to 3 will cause your engine to max the range of motion of the stock mount. Sounds like the engine hits the firewall (doesn't actually, just sounds like it).

We will be running a labor day sale this weekend so all motor mounts will be discounted :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts