Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've kinda been debating on waiting for the second year and selling my allocation. It's not the price or anything as I got the car under MSRP and don't think the buying nightmare for most will change next year or the third. What I'm worried about is the first year bugs. I own a 13 ST and they had problems and upgrades that they worked out the following years. I know the RS is a different animal but I'm still concerned. Anyone else?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a 13 ST and haven't had any issues, other than replacing the touch screen 3 months after purchase. I also had a 10 SHO before that. The main bearing was defective,but other than that it was fine. I'm willing to take my chances. They don't always make changes for the better in subsequent year models.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I'm waiting for 3 reasons. The second year will be built to demand so I'm hoping I will be able to get some what of a deal. I also plan on modding my RS and it will be nice to see what people think the RS needs most then I won't have to wait until a company makes it. The 3rd reason is so I hopefully won't be in the predicament I am now with waiting so long for the RS, I'm not sure what to get after the RS but I usually only hold on to vehicle for 3 years, but it may be 5 until the next RS so I don't mind holding onto the ST a little bit longer to even the spread.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have no doubts whatsoever. The engine is a beast, as shown in the EBM. The only 'concern' would be the capability of the AWD system. But since I am keeping mine stock until the warranty is up, I don't have to worry.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've kinda been debating on waiting for the second year and selling my allocation. It's not the price or anything as I got the car under MSRP and don't think the buying nightmare for most will change next year or the third. What I'm worried about is the first year bugs. I own a 13 ST and they had problems and upgrades that they worked out the following years. I know the RS is a different animal but I'm still concerned. Anyone else?
Sell your allocation? Sounds like ADM!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I'm really not that worried. Normally I'd wait out of habit but I need a new car now as I turned in my lease and have been driving my junker. Also with a limited production vehicle I don't think they'll be making many changes for the second year. Certainly none that I couldn't install on my first year.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Not worried. Don't plan on any modifications and people have high mileage on FoST's already with minimal issues so I don't think the RS will be any less reliable. I also like the exclusivity of the RS and hopefully it ends up being as limited and rare as people are hyping it up to be so I can own a future classic car ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Has there been a recent car of reasonable complexity for which there haven't been some first year gremlins? The Mustang and Corvette both had them, the new Miata has been having a few, even the simpler Toyobaru twins had several. The RS is introducing a LOT of new tech to Ford's line. If you have the patience and don't need a car right away waiting may pay off.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Nope, the driver's side seat adjuster in my 1991 Civic Si failed to a slightly reclined position a couple of weeks ago. I need the RS, and the sooner the better.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has there been a recent car of reasonable complexity for which there haven't been some first year gremlins? The Mustang and Corvette both had them, the new Miata has been having a few, even the simpler Toyobaru twins had several. The RS is introducing a LOT of new tech to Ford's line. If you have the patience and don't need a car right away waiting may pay off.
I like the way you think and that's where I am right now

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sell your allocation? Sounds like ADM!
LOL no way would I do that to someone. I could make a profit yes and they will still pay MSRP for the car. I've actually had a few offer me cash for the allocation. You cant touch one in So Cal without ADM the ones I've seen claim it I just don't believe. I have a relative at Ford and I've helped sell many cars for the dealer that's how I was able to pull it off.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Don't sell your allocation. 3 years production experience with ST, and 2 1/2 years development on RS. I will be very, very surprised if there are any gotchas except for a few very minor bugs. I think the RS will set new standards other car manufacturers will scramble to achieve!

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
262 Posts
The only second thought I've had is whether to include forged wheels or not (spoiler alert, I said yes to the dress).

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had the very first SVT Focus when it first came out back in 2002. In fact I pre-ordered it as well just like I am with the RS.

It was a First Gen vehicle that actually a lot of the new tech that is on all of the Foci's comes from. I only had 1 issue with it the entire time I own it. The Dual Stage Throttle Body broke at about year 2. Vehicle was still under warranty, took it into the Dealer. They had it for about a week actually but, once I got it back, NEVER had another issue with the car again!

So for me, I have no issues buying the first gen USA RS.

If there are issues, I will take it in to get fixed under the warranty. If there are major issues.... Well then I guess I am going to have go Full on Mod mode with the car and build the **** out of it!!!! ;)

·
Registered
969 Posts
LOL no way would I do that to someone. I could make a profit yes and they will still pay MSRP for the car. I've actually had a few offer me cash for the allocation. You cant touch one in So Cal without ADM the ones I've seen claim it I just don't believe. I have a relative at Ford and I've helped sell many cars for the dealer that's how I was able to pull it off.
Glad to hear. Not really worried about first build. My Explorer was an early build, and no major mechanical issues in four years, but the Sync system has had a few issues. Ford always taken care of promptly. However, I do have a concern about tech training/knowledge early on. My dealer is only getting one allocation initially so are they really going to be sending technicians for training on RS early on?

If Raj says its ready I believe him. :eek:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Don't sell your allocation. 3 years production experience with ST, and 2 1/2 years development on RS. I will be very, very surprised if there are any gotchas except for a few very minor bugs. I think the RS will set new standards other car manufacturers will scramble to achieve!

YMMV,

MidCow3
^^^ That's exactly what I'm thinking!! ^^^

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Glad to hear. Not really worried about first build. My Explorer was an early build, and no major mechanical issues in four years, but the Sync system has had a few issues. Ford always taken care of promptly. However, I do have a concern about tech training/knowledge early on. My dealer is only getting one allocation initially so are they really going to be sending technicians for training on RS early on?

If Raj says its ready I believe him. :eek:
Raj for F'n President, I think!!! I'd like to buy that dude a beer or 6.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

YMMV,

MidCow3
Your probably right + I like to explore a platform from the beginning. I might not get so lucky next year. I also just got word from Nick I've been selected for scheduling.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm waiting, partially because I can't find a local allocation without ADM, but, also because I've had too many issues with my 13 ST and buying another first model year vehicle concerns me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
About this Discussion
84 Replies
37 Participants
fwbieser
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing