Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has ford said anything about upgrading the stereo in the RS? I know it'll still be sony (ugh) so it'll probably still be awful, but a person can dream lol.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I sure hope so. I didn't buy my ST for its Stero but it really bugs me that my wife's countryman has a Stero that is 10 fold better.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I sure hope so. I didn't buy my ST for its Stero but it really bugs me that my wife's countryman has a Stero that is 10 fold better.
If you think the ST ST3 Sony stereo is bad go drive a Lexus Ct200h with premium stereo.; the Lexus is much worse. I know it is subjective, but I just can't believe that a Mini would have 10 times the ST3 Sony stereo even with the Harman/Kardon sound system. ...but then again I am somewhat of an Audiophile :)

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
I just wish we could get the Euro reveal headunit, instead of the US reveal one. Euro one looks better and not overly simplified. The mat finish on the euro unit matches the rest of the dash better than the gloss on the US unit.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I believe the only update is the switch to Sync3, but in terms of hardware, I don't think so. I would love to put a system in the RS and if I plan on keeping it 4+ years I may, my problem is once I start with a system I don't stop until every weak point is addressed. My starting point would be the 10W7 sitting in basement, to have a balanced system to match it isn't cheap :(

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
If you think the ST ST3 Sony stereo is bad go drive a Lexus Ct200h with premium stereo.; the Lexus is much worse. I know it is subjective, but I just can't believe that a Mini would have 10 times the ST3 Sony stereo even with the Harman/Kardon sound system. ...but then again I am somewhat of an Audiophile :)

I'm by no means an audiophile but can tell you that the clarity is much better (it is the Harmon Kardon system) to the point of jealousy. No only is it more clear but the volume level is much higher.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I noticed that the car Ken Block was driving at Goodwood had an ST1 stereo in it. I was hoping MFT was going to be standard equipment.

Tappin with my Galaxy S6

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
I noticed that the car Ken Block was driving at Goodwood had an ST1 stereo in it. I was hoping MFT was going to be standard equipment.

Tappin with my Galaxy S6
My understanding it that the RS will have the new Sync 3, not the old MFT. I plan to play with Sync 3 in an Edge or Fiesta this summer when the dealers start to get it, sadly though the Android Auto and Apple's equivalent don't appear to be making it to the first release version of Sync 3. Talking with them some it sounds like they plan to add it in a future software update. My guess is they are trying to force users to use their new interface before allowing them to just use the one from their phones they are use to already.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I had harmon kardon in my last vehicle as well and it was a great stereo, maybe I got spoiled by that I don't know. The biggest problem for me is that there are frequencies the ST3 stereo doesn't reproduce unless you crank the volume to deafening levels.

I'm looking forward to the SYNC 3 system as well, mostly for its capacitive touch screen which will be a god send; I hate having to stab at the ST's screen like a drunken monkey.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm just hoping that I'll eventually be able to upgrade the Sony subwoofer with the JL Stealthbox and a dedicated amp pulling signal from the factory Sony amp. I've read about some issues doing this in late model FoSTs. So I'll probably wait to do any upgrades until someone else sorts out the signal issues. I don't listen to as much music in the car as I used to anyway. I'm addicted to a handful of podcasts. Autoblog, smoking tire, and hooniverse are at the top of my list. =)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm probably going to upgrade the speakers to GermanMAESTRO. My wife has the Focus ST (ST3), and i'm not very impressed with the Sony speakers. We have GermanMAESTRO speakers in our Westfalia camper van and even with the little 4" speakers and an 8" Memphis sub, that sound quality kicks butt... A much more dynamic range... All we had to do was listen to all the options at the car audio shop to make the decision... I let her make the call though... That way I can't get in trouble for spending the extra $$$. :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
The Sony speakers HAVE to be better than the ones in the last 2 subaru I have owned. They have been terrible. No bass what so ever and the head unit looks like it's 15 years old...

·
Registered
96 Posts
The only sound system Ford has released info on upgrading/tweaking is the exhaust. The RS will have a different subwoofer or at minimum enclosure from the ST3 package, could help could hurt. I hope the work they put in sound tuning the exhaust pays off as at this point for shorter trips i doubt I'll even turn on the radio. We'll most likely have to look at the aftermarket for any significant improvements over the Sony system in the ST3's.
image.jpeg

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have some plans for upgrades, but without the car in hand and a measuring tape, its impossible to get beyond the dream stage.
for starters I know I need to upgrade the sub. My goal is to keep things looking as stock as possible and utilize the factory HU. I'm too old to be doing dashboard bling **** and nothing looks better to me than a clean stock interior.
I'll use a LOC with a single channel amp and try to build an enclosure under the floor. will need measurements before I figure out what sub to use and if I can fit something ported, but one thing is for sure, I need a system that can hit below 80hz.
adding a remote start/alarm and the sub will be my first two mods.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't plan on doing too much with the audio system. Maybe after the performance is where is would like it, and the visuals look good, them maybe. If I did do anything it would proly just be an OEM interface like the Rockford Fosgate 360.4 or the JL Cleansweep. Add in a couple high end amps and equally good speakers/subs and call it a day. Also adding a good deal of sound deadening and insulation, but that only if I decide to go full show with the car and no longer track it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts