Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who will be installing an Anti-lag kit on there RS to keep the boost up at all times?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
Who will be installing an Anti-lag kit on there RS to keep the boost up at all times?

Boost and peak torque comes in so low with the twin scroll turbo that it really isn't needed at all.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

I absolutely will not be putting one on mine. On all three of my DSMs I had the hardware and software to do it and all I had to do was check a box in the tuner but I never did. In daily driving I never needed it and on tracks I never got out of boost, so I found it to be all-but useless. And it destroys your turbo. But it does make loud pops (not so much on the burbles) so I guess that's cool? On a car with a turbo that is decades newer (and tiny) and a head touched by Cosworth, I can't imagine that we would have any practical reason to use anti-lag.

With a bigger turbo, though, that may be a different story.

-edit-

Yeah, changed my mind. No, even with a giant turbo.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not to mention the havoc that an anti-lag kit imparts on your exhaust and other components. I don't see the point other than using it to annoy or show off in a parking lot at a cruise in.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I absolutely will not be putting one on mine. On all three of my DSMs I had the hardware and software to do it and all I had to do was check a box in the tuner but I never did. In daily driving I never needed it and on tracks I never got out of boost, so I found it to be all-but useless. And it destroys your turbo. But it does make loud pops (not so much on the burbles) so I guess that's cool? On a car with a turbo that is decades newer (and tiny) and a head touched by Cosworth, I can't imagine that we would have any practical reason to use anti-lag.

With a bigger turbo, though, that may be a different story.

-edit-

Yeah, changed my mind. No, even with a giant turbo.
But, but, but.... Flames!

(Facetious post)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
It's about the only option ford left off the RS.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Does anyone know if the ST gtx turbo kits will bolt up to this car yet?
The 2.0 and 2.3 are the same architecture, to the point where I am told that the transmission bolt pattern is identical between the two and they can be swapped. But don't forget that not only could the heads be different between the 2.0 and 2.3, the RS head has been "reworked by Cosworth" which COULD make things incompatible between the 2.3 Ecoboosts. Until I hear otherwise, I think it's safer to just not assume anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 2.0 and 2.3 are the same architecture, to the point where I am told that the transmission bolt pattern is identical between the two and they can be swapped. But don't forget that not only could the heads be different between the 2.0 and 2.3, the RS head has been "reworked by Cosworth" which COULD make things incompatible between the 2.3 Ecoboosts. Until I hear otherwise, I think it's safer to just not assume anything.
What so your telling me I could in theory make my ST awd? I know be a lot of work but it could be done?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
What so your telling me I could in theory make my ST awd? I know be a lot of work but it could be done?
Powertrain fitment, yes, I am told. At least between the engine and transmission. And since the ratios are the same I am assuming that the transmission packaging (and therefore mounts) will be the same. Making the chassis work might be a little more work than you'd think to get it to fit, since the driveshaft stacks above the exhaust in the tunnel. And you'd definitely need the RS fuel tank. And I can't imagine that you'd be able to come across a complete RS drivetrain any time soon.

I can't insert the picture because it's too large, but here's the link.

I would think that it would be more likely that people would make a 2.3 ST. Those poor front tires...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Powertrain fitment, yes, I am told. At least between the engine and transmission. And since the ratios are the same I am assuming that the transmission packaging (and therefore mounts) will be the same. Making the chassis work might be a little more work than you'd think to get it to fit, since the driveshaft stacks above the exhaust in the tunnel. And you'd definitely need the RS fuel tank. And I can't imagine that you'd be able to come across a complete RS drivetrain any time soon.

I can't insert the picture because it's too large, but here's the link.

I would think that it would be more likely that people would make a 2.3 ST. Those poor front tires...
lol yea I want to do something crazy to the ST idk figure ill buy one when I get back to the states deployed right now

·
Super Moderator
15,325 Posts
lol yea I want to do something crazy to the ST idk figure ill buy one when I get back to the states deployed right now
Oh, heck. There goes the neighborhood!

It's me, ST2Focus, I had to change my FoRS moniker here in the forum.

You're making too much money and way more fun on the deployment, so time for new toys!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can someone please clear up this up for me?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the "pops" that we've been hearing on decel come from the ecu fuelling on the exhaust stroke, possibly even firing the ignition?

So how is this not a form of anti lag?

Hearing the launch control in action sounds eerily like the turbo is being spooled. I'd be keen to see what the boost gauge is doing when it's doing it's try hard WRC popping.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Can someone please clear up this up for me?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the "pops" that we've been hearing on decel come from the ecu fuelling on the exhaust stroke, possibly even firing the ignition?

So how is this not a form of anti lag?

Hearing the launch control in action sounds eerily like the turbo is being spooled. I'd be keen to see what the boost gauge is doing when it's doing it's try hard WRC popping.
You are on the right track in thinking that but not the correct magnitude. Anti lag is far more severe

·
Registered
222 Posts
I ran anti-lag on my fully built STI and yes it does cause a bit of havoc but in hands of right tuner it's awesome. My launch control held 16psi @ 5500rpms out of the hole and at 7500 Rpms where you would normally hit rev limit and drop Rpms my car would hold boost same way and you'd shift right where you were at the limit.

Very fun, fried out a twin disk racing clutch from racing all the time. Not sure I'd do it on my RS

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
15 Participants
4ST-AIR
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing