Ford Focus RS Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Ok, stupid question: is there a functional need for LED bulbs?
Not a dumb question at all. Need? I don't think I could make that argument. If you're talking about drop in LED replacements in a reflector housing, that's generally not a good idea. I don't have personal experience with them related to the RS. They tend to put a lot of uncontrolled light out in all directions.

The Morimoto retrofits that we're talking about on this thread have a projector lens to control light placement. They have a nice low cutoff and put out a wide spread of light. They allow better visibility around tight corners. Where I notice them the most is pulling into a dark driveway at relatively low speed on a street without any ambient light.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Not a dumb question at all. Need? I don't think I could make that argument. If you're talking about drop in LED replacements in a reflector housing, that's generally not a good idea. I don't have personal experience with them related to the RS. They tend to put a lot of uncontrolled light out in all directions.

The Morimoto retrofits that we're talking about on this thread have a projector lens to control light placement. They have a nice low cutoff and put out a wide spread of light. They allow better visibility around tight corners. Where I notice them the most is pulling into a dark driveway at relatively low speed on a street without any ambient light.
Oh, cool! Thanks for that information :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
As @nicklulu said, it's Onyx. It's a proprietary material for MarkForged. If you're someone that does some 3D printing, you'll appreciate that it's some special stuff. It's about 10 times the cost of higher end commodity level filament. I've been using MarkForged printers for a few years now. They are expensive, but the printers are incredibly well-sorted machines. Coupled with their proprietary filament, I've not seen a better FDM printer.
I do A LOT of design and 3D printing. Hence my interest in the material. I'm bummed, don't have a MarkForged printer, and ain't gonna buy one at the moment :-(

·
Registered
125 Posts
Finally have the right mix of outdoor conditions, free time, unlaziness, etc. to get this project finished.

Q: What is the gray stuff the lens is sealed on with? Does it matter if I reseal it with the same material? There are three objectives, seal, durability, removal if needed in the future. There are other sealants/glues that can do this, but I'd like to do it right.

TIA!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I'm not sure what the grey material is. It's not the same as what I've seen on headlight assemblies that I've pulled apart. What you usually see there is a material that feels like chewing gum to me (always sticky and compliant). The RS fog lights' glue feel more like grey RTV to me. So that's what I use to seal them back together when I do it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm not sure what the grey material is. It's not the same as what I've seen on headlight assemblies that I've pulled apart. What you usually see there is a material that feels like chewing gum to me (always sticky and compliant). The RS fog lights' glue feel more like grey RTV to me. So that's what I use to seal them back together when I do it.
Same grey rtv for now..

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Installed them yesterday evening! Obviously swapping the housing is really easy! Aiming is easy too! Was a little worried at first as the driver side housing aiming ‘leg’ that clips in the OE aiming mechanism clamp had popped off and didnt allow for aiming at all. I just popped the side cap off where the stock bulbs would be and levered the back of the upper fog lamp with a screwdriver to pop it back in, after a nice clipping back in sound aiming was back to normal operation 😁

Driving back to my girlfriend’s place, they seemed to be lighting up the road nicely between the car and the headlights range! Might need to aim a bit higher as I was conservative and aimed low not wanting to blind anyone. They sit so low as foglights they can be aimed higher than what I did without issues! I will take nighttime pictures when I have a chance, I thought I had one of the cutoff against my closed garage door but I dont!

Thanks @TennTechMan they are great so far!

Note: Canadian buyers get ready to risk paying taxes on them, was charged full provincial/federal taxes this time at import (15%)!

Note: dont get the precut laminix covers, get some universal sheet and cut them yourself. The precuts only cover the opening through the fog bezels and need to be perfectly lined up to cover 100% of the exposed glass. I did mine on the bench based on the blasted area from my old housings, they ended up fitting pretty good but I still got a bit of exposed glass at the top of both housings. I will redo them with hand cut material to cover 100% of the lens surface as soon as possible to protect them from getting blasted again.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well this happened over the winter, irony of this is I had fog light inserts that I never installed to prevent this exact potential risk!

Looks like I'm redoing my duals again.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Well this happened over the winter, irony of this is I had fog light inserts that I never installed to prevent this exact potential risk!

Looks like I'm redoing my duals again.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
Where’s the thumb down button when we need it!

81 - 92 of 92 Posts