Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently completed another project for my RS that I've been considering since I bought it. It's always bothered me that the stock fog lights were the only "yellow" light on the front of the car. The DRL LED's and headlights match pretty well and have a modern look. The stock fog lights, not so much. Also, the chrome reflectors seemed a little out of place in contrast to the black housing headlight assembly and all the other black features on the front of the car.

I had been thinking about replacing fog light housing with a custom bracket and projector LED assembly. Recently, Morimoto came out with a new projector assembly smaller than anything they've offered in the past. The new assemblies are small enough to fit in the stock housing. I bought a set, popped the stock housings open, took some measurements of all the parts, and got started designing. Pictures of the result are below. I also included a link to the Morimoto LED's that I'm using.

The Morimoto lights are 1,200 lumen each. The Diode Dynamics LF8 (highest output option) LED is 780 lumen each. The Morimoto is a projector directed light, so all of that light is going where it should.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That looks sweet!! Did you paint the housing?

If you can fit two in there, I'm gonna place an order lol.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm a little slow to get this together. Made a first attempt at a dual light bracket this morning. It definitely fits. I'll drop the lights down just a little in the housing on the next revision.

View attachment 340028

View attachment 340029
Oh man. Guess I'm ordering two sets!

The bracket you made, would you be open to making a bunch? I'm sure others may hop on at some point. It's expensive but totally worth it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bracket you made, would you be open to making a bunch? I'm sure others may hop on at some point. It's expensive but totally worth it!
I have an Etsy store that I have started selling them through. I'm also a Morimoto reseller, so I can get special pricing on the lights themselves.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was at Deal's Gap last week, and had to buy this picture. A definite money shot for showing off the new fog lights.

View attachment 340050
I like the look alot better than stock or diode Dynamics SLFs which I run now.

Question, does the light bleed when having two in the same housing? I.e. the picture you posted, they look very distinct and sharp. Do they both stand out individually when running both? Or is it a combined light, perhaps a daytime pic with both running in the same housing would help me understand that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I expect them to look like 4 distinct and sharp lights. Sometime this weekend I should be able to get some pictures of it all installed. One reason the lights are so distinct in that pictures is that the camera is below the cut-off of the light. These pictures are more like what you'd see if you're looking from above the light cut-off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got the double fog installed on one side. The driver's side bracket is printed, but I didn't get a chance to assemble it today.
Definitely let me know when you have the double fog bracket up for sale on your Etsy page, 100% looking to complete this project myself.

As for wiring, how did you go about it?

Lastly when opening the fogs, how difficult was it to open them up? Is it the standard butyl rubber or permaseal?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Definitely let me know when you have the double fog bracket up for sale on your Etsy page, 100% looking to complete this project myself.

As for wiring, how did you go about it?

Lastly when opening the fogs, how difficult was it to open them up? Is it the standard butyl rubber or permaseal?
Doubles are live on Etsy now:

I'm not sure what you want to know specifically about wiring. All of the kits would come ready to plug into the factory harness.

Opening the fogs is not terrible. I'm not very familiar with the different glues that are used. This stuff has a texture and feel like RTV. It's not the more typical bubble gum consistency that I've seen on the few headlights that I've opened which is nice. I don't use an oven for opening the assemblies. I use a heat gun directed on the seal. These fog lights are a little more difficult for that because they have a heavy glass lens. The glass has a lot of thermal capacity, so it takes a while to get it all up to temp for splitting.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I like the doubles! Nice job building those kits! Almost completed checkout but before I do I thought I should ask a few questions!

1) how do the brackets mount to the fog light housings? Do they fit in only one obvious position?

2) Do the lights just fit in position with proper aiming or do you need to adjust anything before closing the housing?

3) I’m guessing the brackets somehow use the reflector mounts, you do have to take the reflector off? Did you really have to paint the housings given they are already black inside?

Sorry for all the questions!

I did my motorcycle headlight last summer this should be easier I guess due to the smaller size. Just looking for more details about the brackets installation and aiming before I commit to buying a set!

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts