Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Animated video showing what to modify in the new RS and what to leave as is

4K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Hoonigan 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Intake likely doesn't need to be touched. Blank rotors > slotted/drilled crap. People won't need better pads unless the car can't lock up the tires, which won't be the case.. until they are running on the track and then for fade resistance of course but track guys will swap calipers most likely also to get better and lighter parts (like AP racing calipers and 2 piece rotors). Exhaust for sound, sure.

Cool/Great video, but yeah I don't agree with parts of it ;)

That all comes down to personal preferences of course. Many put massive rotors on cars and want it just for the looks - more power to them. I like function ;)

Reactions: Crooked Letta
#6 ·
Not bad, I agree with the points. It is ultimately up to the owner to decide in the end. I'm a real firm believer of driving the vehicle and seeing what you don't like then go from there. This may take a few months to get a good idea, and can change as you start modding.

Aesthetics do not matter to me but to some they do, may do some slight mods but that is all.

#7 · (Edited)
Just my opinion on the video:

The catback exhaust itself probably doesn't any modifications unless you just want to make it loud. A catless downpipe is certainly all the car needs unless you go big turbo.

The intake piping is probably pretty good but a bigger filter element is more than likely a good idea.

FMIC is supposedly good but I'm holding off judgment until I get a chance to turn up the boost and do some logging.

Accessport is definitely a "must have."

The stock brake hardware is more capable than 99% of the people driving the RS . Especially if the car never sees a 20-30 minute track session.

I'll be replacing the stock wheels with either CCWs or the Mountune wheels. Improving looks and cutting down weight at the same time is a win/win.

I'm leaving it stock ride height. Lowered vehicles are more trouble than the aesthetics are worth.

#8 ·
Cool video! Great marketing (SEO, encouraging buyers to spend more, etc). But complete BS. How can anyone say what someone "should modify" on a vehicle they haven't even driven or done any actual R&D on yet? And even after that, you need to understand a buyer's needs and goals to recommend what they should upgrade and what they shouldn't. Not just recommend modifying everything but the brakes because of the brand name and intercooler because it needed a blanking plate with the stock boost levels.

Like I said, cool video! Just wish it was doing more than spewing BS. Maybe adjust the message to be "Common Modifications" rather than "Here's what you should do."

Just my 2 cents from someone who wants to help people accomplish goals and enhance their cars, not just sell as many parts as possible to uninformed buyers.

#9 ·
It is a cool video but I feel it missed the mark.

I do not think you should recommend people modify the springs. Reason: The ride is already harsh enough and has great performance already, and the ground clearance is already fairly minimal and the car is already super low. There isn't much room for more drop anyway and it would probably throw off the dynamics of the car.

You should comment on bigger things like turbo, engine, etc. Prob say: don't mod the turbo because reasons. Don't mod up the engine because you're not a good enough driver, etc.

Not sure I would recommend modding the intake. I doubt the car has any flow limitations out of the gate.

#10 ·
"I'm leaving it stock ride height. Lowered vehicles are more trouble than the aesthetics are worth."

I fully agree with this. Modification of ride height looks good but runs into serious handling issues. Plus you hit stuff. I cracked my oil pan on a lowered car.

#12 ·
I took the fmic and hot charge pipes off my ST this afternoon, while doing the job I couldn't help but think mountune's silicon boost hose kit might be my only mod besides a custom 93 tune

#13 ·
It's a cool little video! I'm not sure who would rush out and modify anything after watching it, I guess people do weird sh1t like that. It could be more informative - in my opinion - if you just changed the theme to one of mod ideas instead of 'should' and 'dont'. That way maybe someone watches it and gets some cool ideas.

#14 ·
What to Modify on Your New Ford Focus RS

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Hatchback

by Scott Huntington

When a movie does well at the box office and in critical reviews, it is said to receive “universal acclaim.” The new Ford Focus RS is like a fantastic movie — it’s hard to find someone who doesn’t love it.

We made hint of the arrival of the Ford Focus RS back when it was first announced. We dubbed it an “Evo-Killer.”

The end result does not disappoint. The Focus RS makes car enthusiasts jump for joy, and as expected, it’s a blast to drive. It’s rated better than all other cars in its class, including the Subaru WRX and VW Golf — and I’m only referring to the factory model! That’s where modding comes into play.

There are countless possibilities for modifying certain aspects of your new Ford Focus, especially if you want to take it to the track. Over time, the cult following surrounding this car will most certainly result in very specific modding trends. As of right now, some things are obvious, yet every upgradable aspect of the Focus RS has still to reveal itself. As a starting point, in case you’re unsure of what to change, here’s a recommended list of what to modify and what you might want to keep. The video below goes along the same lines:

Modify

Exhaust: If you want to be heard when you’re driving down the street, be sure to upgrade the exhaust. An extra roar pairs well with this car. Yeah, a good exhaust can yield more power, but let’s not kid ourselves… exhaust mods revolve around making more noise.

COBB Accessport: Chances are you’re usually tuned into your car’s performance ratings. Why not add this access port to monitor all the stats of your ride? More importantly, COBB Tuning is sure to deliver a full host of tuning ECU maps for the Focus RS, based on stage packages and fuel octane rating. Furthermore, if you end up modding the car past the stage packages, many custom dyno tuners use the COBB Accessport as their own access point to flash their custom tunes. As of this writing, COBB has yet to release official maps for the Focus RS, but we know they are coming. Just you wait.

Brake rotors and pads: To improve the cooling in your RS, use performance rotors. Better brake pads will increase the stopping power and reduce brake dust. This is also the case with the Focus ST and Fiesta ST. Both cars are known to produce a lot of brake dust with the stock pads. The RS seems to be just the same.

Sway bars: Not a big fan of the stiff sway bars? Want a more flexible, ST-style bar? Modify it to achieve the feel you want. But then again, stiff might be better specially for the track. But if you live in pothole country, softer might not be such a bad thing.

Carbon fiber parts: There’s no carbon fiber on this little beast, but it’s always a great idea to add some wherever you see fit, like the hood, spoiler, or mirrors. It reduces weight and adds some visual flair.

Intake: One of the first things gearheads usually do is exchange the air intake for a better one. Not only does it open up the engine area, but it also adds more power. Watch out for plenty of new air intake systems to flood the market.

Springs: Want better handling? The springs are the first place you should turn to. Use lowering springs to lower the center of gravity. The RS already has some pretty good handling though, so you don’t need to do much here. For some, moar low is moar better… so tune to your liking. Keep in mind that going too low decreases performance.

Leave It

Intercooler: Believe it or not, Ford’s stock intercooler was over-efficient. They had to include a blanking plate in order to reduce the efficiency. Still, that means you’re totally fine with the stock one.

Brake calipers: Why would you replace the awesome Brembo calipers that already come on the RS? Move along, nothing to change here. We expect to see some Brembo Racing options in the future if the car develops into a popular track car option. Until then, the stock units are the best option.

Modify or Leave

Wheels: Light 19-inch alloy wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires come standard on the RS, but if you want a different look, these can easily be swapped out. We don’t have to tell you that though… Wheels to some are the most important mod.

Seats: Recaro seats also come standard in both the RS and the ST. These are awesome seats, but they don’t have a height adjustment for the passenger. The driver is going to be pretty happy though. Eventually, dedicated track Focus RS hatches will end up with dedicated fixed-back racing seats. It’s only a matter of time. The stock Focus RS Recaro seats might be amazing for the street and for occasional track days — When it comes to full on track duty, there is no substitute for dedicated performance racing seats.

What to Modify on Your New Ford Focus RS - RallyWays

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.