Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if others are having this issue but, I recently updated my phone from a oneplus 6T to a Samsung Galaxy S21 ultra.
I used android auto every day with my onplus 6T. Now with the S21 Ultra, android Auto does not work. ( more detail below)

This does not appear to be an issue with the sync system as the s21 ultra works with android auto in a 2018 F150 and a 2015 edge with a sync 3 head unit.

I have also tested a Google pixel 5 in my focus RS just to see if Samsung is the problem. Same result where android auto doesn't work. The common factor here is android version 11 on the phones that do not work with the RS. Since my oneplus 6t was running android 10 and worked perfectly fine.

If you're wondering, Apple carplay does work as well with iPhone 8 through 11. (Using other coworkers' / friends phones)

If anyone else is having this issue I'd love to know. Though it is possible my USB wiring in my car is bad somehow and only I have this issue.

More Detail of android auto not working:

1. Phone claims "android auto connected"
A. Car doesn't open android auto, I don't have option to open.

2. Phone says "USB device connected, tap to change how this device is handled"
A. I can select, "transfer files/android auto and for a brief moment on my s21 and car screen I can setup android auto.
Even if I get through the setup, android auto just doest stay.

3. The car continually connects and disconnects charging/communication with my s2q ultra.
A. Seems like the car keeps dropping the communication with s21 ultra.

4. The same phone works in other cars, and ford cars with sync.
A. Various USB c to USB a cables used, doesn't seem to matter in any car tested.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a Google Pixel 5 with the March update on Android 11 and it works fine for me since I got the phone. I am on a different version of Sync 3 that the RS stops at but I don't think that would be the reason of why it works for me.

I have a few questions/suggestions to try...

Did you try the cables that come with the Pixel? Those are usually better quality. What about trying the port below the radio and then the one in the arm rest?

Did you forget your car in the bluetooth settings and let AA reset it up?

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,169 Posts
Not sure of your issue, but I can tell you I have a Pixel 5 running the Android 11 February patch, and it works fine for me. Weird because it sounds like a possible cable issue, but.you said you tried switching already. Hmm...

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Reading this, stressed me out, as I've just got a new s21 myself. I hadn't used Android Auto since getting the s21, and I also went up to Sync 3.4 recently, so I've just been out and hooked it up, and it works straight away, previously with other phones I did notice that it was very picky with the cable used, are you using a genuine Samsung or good quality cable? As that is crucial.

·
Registered
2016 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
70 Posts
Pixel 5 with March update, no issues here.
Cabled or using my AA wireless dongle, works like a champ

·
Registered
309 Posts
With recent AA versions I've noticed that it takes a while to start up if you don't have a stable Internet connection. It has been happening on and off for a few months - I filed a bug with Google and the reply was that they knew about it and would be fixed soon. Not always in my case

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
I'm using a Pixel 4 XL with Android 11 and March update, no issues at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts