Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm very strongly considering snagging an open allocation this week for a Focus RS. My current car is a 2013 Model S P85.

Am I nuts?

It was my dream car 3 years ago, but in the mean time my wife and I had twins (total of 5 kids) so it's no longer our go everywhere do anything family car. That means I'm going to be driving our van more often than I had planned. :)

Anyways I think I want something smaller and more fun for when Im driving my myself or have 3 or less kids along for the ride....

I've never kept a car more than 3 years. My first couple cars were beaters, both had over 200,000km on them, but my previous car (a BMW 335d) and the Tesla I've bought new and kept 2.5 -> 3 years. I'm really hoping that I can keep the RS a long time. Apparently it's too easy to get seduced when you spend a lot of time reading car websites...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Nothing crazy about that! Two totally different cars that are appealing in their own extreme ways! You'll probably miss the instant full-on electric torque of the Tesla but the Focus RS will give you that raw, man and machine connection that's missing from the Tesla.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing crazy about that! Two totally different cars that are appealing in their own extreme ways! You'll probably miss the instant full-on electric torque of the Tesla but the Focus RS will give you that raw, man and machine connection that's missing from the Tesla.
Yeah, it's going to be hard to give up that instant torque. Especially when I can just roll out of the driveway and peel out without having to give the car any time to "warm up".

I have a friend who got a Cayman GT4 this past summer. I got to drive it around for a bit, it put a giant smile on my face, all without revving it above 4k since it was still during the break in period.

A guy on the Tesla forums suggested I should buy a used ST. Perhaps I'm just getting caught up in the hype and should try to find something used that will give me the man and machine connection. Unfortunately I haven't yet thought of anything that is as fun and practical as the RS. A used cayman would be great, but it has zero practicality...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
What ramdo3500 says.

A used ST would be fun (I'm gonna have one for sale in a few months, lol) But not as much fun as a new RS.

If you can get an allocation - Go for it!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Go for it! The Focus RS doesn't come around too often and you might regret not getting one. It sounds like you are financially stable, I say go for it!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Maybe sell the P85 and get the RS and a new Roadster? My mom very much wants a Tesla to replace her Mustang. It's between any Tesla that she can get here hands on, a GT350, or a C7. Or an R8 if a nice used one comes along, so I don't think that throwing the RS in the mix as an option is outlandish. Especially if you're trying to avoid using a van to do practical family things. Besides, if you've raised your kids properly, they'd rather the RS as well.

I am pretty surprised that the Model S is 24" longer and 5" wider than the Focus, but I guess that you would indeed be getting a physically smaller car with a more usable cargo area. Obviously we don't know enough about the alleged Roadster rerelease to recommend one, but that's what I would look forward to. A practical family hatchback to replace the van and then a Roadster as the impractical fun all-electric car when (if?) they come out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the next Tesla roadster or the Porsche Mission-E would be my next dream vehicle... But only if they are engaging to drive. The Model S is a bit like driving an appliance, but with a massive burst of torque available on tap at all times, it keeps it fun. Although I think I am done buying vehicles that expensive... The money you loose in depreciation is just too crazy.

I should have been a bit more clear... Now that I have 5 kids we'll always have a van in the garage. It's just that I'm considering dumping our Model S for something smaller and more fun as a second vehicle.

Maybe sell the P85 and get the RS and a new Roadster? My mom very much wants a Tesla to replace her Mustang. It's between any Tesla that she can get here hands on, a GT350, or a C7. Or an R8 if a nice used one comes along, so I don't think that throwing the RS in the mix as an option is outlandish. Especially if you're trying to avoid using a van to do practical family things. Besides, if you've raised your kids properly, they'd rather the RS as well.

I am pretty surprised that the Model S is 24" longer and 5" wider than the Focus, but I guess that you would indeed be getting a physically smaller car with a more usable cargo area. Obviously we don't know enough about the alleged Roadster rerelease to recommend one, but that's what I would look forward to. A practical family hatchback to replace the van and then a Roadster as the impractical fun all-electric car when (if?) they come out.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm very strongly considering snagging an open allocation this week for a Focus RS. My current car is a 2013 Model S P85.

Am I nuts?

It was my dream car 3 years ago, but in the mean time my wife and I had twins (total of 5 kids) so it's no longer our go everywhere do anything family car. That means I'm going to be driving our van more often than I had planned. :)

Anyways I think I want something smaller and more fun for when Im driving my myself or have 3 or less kids along for the ride....

I've never kept a car more than 3 years. My first couple cars were beaters, both had over 200,000km on them, but my previous car (a BMW 335d) and the Tesla I've bought new and kept 2.5 -> 3 years. I'm really hoping that I can keep the RS a long time. Apparently it's too easy to get seduced when you spend a lot of time reading car websites...

Thoughts?
The RS would be great but it isn't big enough for your family. What you need, that would also make you happy, is a BMW X6 M. :snowman::victorious::victorious::snowman:

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The RS would be great but it isn't big enough for your family. What you need, that would also make you happy, is a BMW X6 M. :snowman::victorious::victorious::snowman:

YMMV,

MidCow3
It's not like he needs to transport every member of his family in every car at all times. He's already got a van. Why punish him with something else big?

One family vehicle is plenty. Next car should be an Elise. Fiat 124 Spider?

DISCLAIMER: Growing up, our most practical family car was an Integra R which supplemented a Mustang GT. I'm used to cramming into the back of fun and impractical cars. No regrets!

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
It's not like he needs to transport every member of his family in every car at all times. He's already got a van. Why punish him with something else big?

One family vehicle is plenty. Next car should be an Elise. Fiat 124 Spider?

DISCLAIMER: Growing up, our most practical family car was an Integra R which supplemented a Mustang GT. I'm used to cramming into the back of fun and impractical cars. No regrets!
randman2011,

Okay let's compromise. He needs power and speed! :eek:nthego::eek:nthego:

We get rid of the van and replace it with a fun family hauler, the BMW X6 M, Then we get him a fun car fro himself as you suggest Elise, Fiat 124 Spider, or even a MX5.

Then he also needs a DD and what more appropriate than a Ford Focus RS.

This makes him happy, hid wife happy, and the kids happy :D

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't think my opinion will be of much value here... But I've been drooling iver Teslas for a long time, especially now with the P90D. I recently made a joke that I want a Tesla Model RS P60D or something of the sort. Smaller hatchback car (2 door) with Tesla drivetrain. Low center of gravity, perfect torque vectoring, choice of FWD/AWD/RWD and everything between... Just a good deal lighter (~3500 lbs?) with less batteries. Instead, tow behind gas generator for long-distance trips.

I plan to put a deposit down on a Model 3 when the order banks open in March... but your description of driving an appliance makes me wonder if I care to have one... Could stick with cheap, small stickshifts and have more fun in them for DD. :(

To supplement this, I read an article today about difficulty getting the P90D to oversteer... Which sounds like a huge missed opportunity to me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It turns out oversteer is not an efficient way to drive. By the time you're done turning electricity in to rubber smoke you won't have any juice left to get home.
Teslas are dope tho

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think my opinion will be of much value here... But I've been drooling iver Teslas for a long time, especially now with the P90D. I recently made a joke that I want a Tesla Model RS P60D or something of the sort. Smaller hatchback car (2 door) with Tesla drivetrain. Low center of gravity, perfect torque vectoring, choice of FWD/AWD/RWD and everything between... Just a good deal lighter (~3500 lbs?) with less batteries. Instead, tow behind gas generator for long-distance trips.

I plan to put a deposit down on a Model 3 when the order banks open in March... but your description of driving an appliance makes me wonder if I care to have one... Could stick with cheap, small stickshifts and have more fun in them for DD. :(

To supplement this, I read an article today about difficulty getting the P90D to oversteer... Which sounds like a huge missed opportunity to me.
The P85 has no trouble oversteering. :) Unfortunately the stability control cannot be turned off (at least not without pulling the ABS fuse), so that really limits the fun you can have. I think the Model 3 will probably be a great car. I'll be watching the Model 3 unveiling with great interest.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Who knows, I may still put a deposit down. Can always cancel, I assume. I was referring to oversteer with the D because of the stability control :/

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey guys,

Am I nuts?

Thoughts?

I test drove a model S.
(I really like the car, just didn't feel visceral enough for me.)

Obviously the RS won't have as much interior room, but it is a 5-door hatchback... so much easier for trips to Lowes, or Sporting equipment.

I don't think your nuts, just driven..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sold my Tesla when we moved out west.

Loved the car on trips and traffic, but when I started working night shift and would have a 30min drive from NYC to LI without traffic the car put me to sleep.

So now I have a manual RS on order.

·
5,582 Posts
I recall a Tesla drag off the lights.
It was so silent that it was deafening..

:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I put down a deposit the other day. Now I just need to find a buyer for my Model S. I also need to fully sell my wife on the idea since I may have done things a little pre-emptively. :redface-new:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just my $.02 dude. Stick with the Tesla. If you can manage it, maybe the RS in a couple years if you can find an unmolested one. But hey, "Old enough to know better, and too young to care" didn't come from nowhere. Do what you want man and just enjoy it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
12 Participants
AS0379
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing