Ford Focus RS Forum banner
401 - 417 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Anyone have a rec for a year round skid plate that will see snow a few months out of the year? My stock one is junk and not sure to go with a summer or winter plate. Live in Los Angeles but drive up to mountains all winter.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I have ADFCustoms that they powder coated to color match the car

but as far as skid plates, there are as many recommendations as there are brands

Anyone have a rec for a year round skid plate that will see snow a few months out of the year? My stock one is junk and not sure to go with a summer or winter plate. Live in Los Angeles but drive up to mountains all winter.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I was in the same conundrum a year or so ago. I'm also in CA and wanted something I can keep on year round that can handle 100+ heat during the summers but at the same time have enough protection for the winter when I go up to Tahoe. I was also toying with the idea of doing rallycross again.

I briefly considered the skidplateguy plate but was surprised by the pricing. I ended up purchasing the Dorian plate (DMG Fab/Raptor racing) since it was much cheaper, had all the ducting for the summer and the service hole for oil changes. Installed it and drove around with it for a few weeks, then took it off. The additional weight kinda turned me off, so I ended up selling it to somebody else on here.

I went with the DIY coated OEM tray since it was cheap, still had the stock cooling ducts, barely heavier and gave me enough protection for what I needed it.

https://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus-rs-discussions/90386-b-diy-solution-oem-undertray-b-2.html

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was in the same conundrum a year or so ago. I'm also in CA and wanted something I can keep on year round that can handle 100+ heat during the summers but at the same time have enough protection for the winter when I go up to Tahoe. I was also toying with the idea of doing rallycross again.

I briefly considered the skidplateguy plate but was surprised by the pricing. I ended up purchasing the Dorian plate (DMG Fab/Raptor racing) since it was much cheaper, had all the ducting for the summer and the service hole for oil changes. Installed it and drove around with it for a few weeks, then took it off. The additional weight kinda turned me off, so I ended up selling it to somebody else on here.

I went with the DIY coated OEM tray since it was cheap, still had the stock cooling ducts, barely heavier and gave me enough protection for what I needed it.

https://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus-rs-discussions/90386-b-diy-solution-oem-undertray-b-2.html
My current oem tray is at the point where its providing no cooling... My temps are are higher with normal driving. I was looking at the Dorian plates because he has all the different configurations and wasnt sure which one to go with.

You can really feel the extra weight? I was thinking about the winter version with the extra holes, but not sure on the trade offs vs the summer version.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Barroux:

Did you use the same mounting hardware (bolts and washers) for this summer plate?
Have not mounted it yet, will do at my next oil change I barely use the car these days (use the motorcycle) and the temps dont rise much during normal driving anyways.

But the ducted plate will be mounted using the same hardware it’s the same design with added ducting.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
DMGfab is cheap and does a good job at protecting the underside, for your application their summer version would be perfect. Get it from raptorracing.ca they ship them to the US for cheap I believe.

If I cares about the plate’s looks though the ADF one looks very good!

It depends on what you want and are ready to pay for I guess!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
My current oem tray is at the point where its providing no cooling... My temps are are higher with normal driving. I was looking at the Dorian plates because he has all the different configurations and wasnt sure which one to go with.

You can really feel the extra weight? I was thinking about the winter version with the extra holes, but not sure on the trade offs vs the summer version.
No, you don't really feel the extra, it was more me not wanting to struggle with it whenever I serviced the car. The access hole on the Dorian plate is handy, but I found it to be too tiny to really do anything unless you have the right tools.

DMGfab is cheap and does a good job at protecting the underside, for your application their summer version would be perfect. Get it from raptorracing.ca they ship them to the US for cheap I believe.

I would actually go with the Dorian skidplate if you were concerned about cooling. Don't really like the ducts on the ADF plate since they aren't real NACA ducts like the OEM or Dorian plate does. If you look closely, the ADF plate doesn't really have the angled ramp or narrow to wide leading edge to accelerate the air flow, more just like a triangular shaped dip.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts

No, you don't really feel the extra, it was more me not wanting to struggle with it whenever I serviced the car. The access hole on the Dorian plate is handy, but I found it to be too tiny to really do anything unless you have the right tools.

I would actually go with the Dorian skidplate if you were concerned about cooling. Don't really like the ducts on the ADF plate since they aren't real NACA ducts like the OEM or Dorian plate does. If you look closely, the ADF plate doesn't really have the angled ramp or narrow to wide leading edge to accelerate the air flow, more just like a triangular shaped dip.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Help. I have bought the dmgfab raptor racing front rally skid plate but I have no instructions and no idea where one part goes. The part is the two struts shown here. I don't know how everyone else got on but I had to remove the front to fit the main supports. Everything else makes sense.
.If you can let me know where these go i can put the car back together, it has the front off in the underground shared car park under the apartment at present. Either photos or a bit if advice is great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Those struts are the side supports, they bolt to one of the fender bolts down to the side of the plate on top of the brake ducting.

Check this thread (especially post #119) for step by step instructions, you might want to consider reworking the driver side support also like some other guys did to gain more clearance to the ECU box and avoid the liner popping out from under the bumper cover:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thank you. I thought they must be s something like this but couldn't see where they went. It was the drivers side, or the ecu side which is passenger in australia, which was a problem. Got me out of a jam

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just thought I'd tack on to the end of this thread my experience installing an ADF under tray that I just received and put on this weekend. Like others have said, the quality was fantastic and the packing was done well to protect the plate from any damage during shipping (I live about 30 miles from ADF so I guess UPS didn't have much change to destroy it!).

Here are some pictures of the packaging - notice the temporary nut/washer/bolts holding it in place.
Beige Font Flooring Floor Tile Lock Wheel Metal

Here is a picture of the "rivnuts" they use to thread in the standoffs. I ended up buying this rivet nut setting tool on Amazon. It's such a cool tool that I never knew existed before this! There is a risk it'll end up being a one-use tool, but I think I'll start finding other things that just need to have threaded rivet nuts inserted into them! Overall this particular tool worked great and make short work of installing the rivet nuts. As another user said in an earlier post in this thread, just make sure not to overdo it when setting the rivet nut, you just need to compress it a bit. These photos show the rivet nut from below (where the standoff will thread into it) and also from above where you can get a good sense of how the rivet nut works. You can see where the rivet nut "mushrooms" as the tool pulls down on it.

Auto part Wheel Product Table Gas

The only other issue I had was the hole by the fender liner that might be useful clarifying for others. There are two holes by the fender/wheel well liner, and the instructions aren't clear on which to use. Initially I removed the T30 Torx bolt (see red arrow), but you don't need to do that, at least on my car (a 2018). Right next to that bolt there is an unused hole in the liner, and that's the one you want to use. See the photo where the standoff is already installed.
Product Blade Machine Cutting tool

Also, in the current revision of this tray, they have fixed the problem of the bolts sticking out on the trailing edge of the under tray and replaced them with a hex head bolt that threads into the standoff, so nothing is sticking out. Also on the front edge of the tray the threaded part of the bolt extending down doesn't seem to be as long as in some earlier pictures I saw.
Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Technology Automotive tire Audio equipment Wheel

Here's a picture of the final result. It looks great - almost like it came with it out of the factory! Yes, I know that front plastic piece in front of the under tray is broken and needs to be replaced. I need to go find the part number for that. Not sure what it does but it is missing the lip that hangs down in front of the under tray.

Attachments

Reactions: gsx95

·
Registered
211 Posts
I bent mine pretty good today, driving in a dirt pull-in by somebody’s house where there was a very low drain cover that I didn’t see. Instead of scraping over the drain, the left leading edge of the splitter hit the cover head on. I was probably only rolling 10mph and it stopped the car dead. When I got out to look, the support had pushed the wheel well liner back far enough that it was rubbing. The sharp outside point of the splitter was also scarily close to the tire. I’d hate to think what it would look like if I was going faster... I found a 2x4 and bent it closer to the right shape so I could keep driving.

This thing is fairly beefy to protect from impacts from below, and I cringe less when I hear the front scraping out of a driveway. But I wouldn’t take it rallying because multiple people have had it push things back into the wheel after a frontal impact. If you hit a rock with the edge of the splitter at speed, it could push the aluminum back into your wheel and shred your tire before you even had a chance to slow down...
Have a look at this thread. The splitter plate from raptor has some problems. George is very responsive and great at raptor. I'm hoping they might do a small redesign, it's a great product otherwise.In the meantime i will design a fix which i will share. It will be a few weeks though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was going to go with both DMG plates for cost and savings, but looking more and more at the ADF.. im beyond tempted, they even have a splash guard also which looks really sharp.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
I was going to go with both DMG plates for cost and savings, but looking more and more at the ADF.. im beyond tempted, they even have a splash guard also which looks really sharp.

Have it installed and it is very nice
GoD SaLo's RS Build - 18' LE Race Red

401 - 417 of 417 Posts