Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Nitrous Blue RS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I haven't seen anything about this anywhere else and I'm trying to figure out of there's any reason I couldn't put a set of All-Terrain Tires on the stock forged 19s. The obvious problem is finding an A/T tire that fits. I found some tires in 235/55/19 but would that be way too tall of a sidewall to fit in the wheel well without rubbing?

I'm basically just looking for something I can drive on the street and tackle a dirt or gravel road with. Don't plan on getting on the track or anything so may not need the immense grip that comes with the Pilots.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
We have a handful of RS owners that uses their off-road.... but most of them converted to a smaller wheel though.

I'm sure they will chime in.

Reactions: jefferysanders

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Lol what an odd thread look at the ‘lifting the RS’ thread and the ‘15” wheel thread’ for more information

·
Registered
'16 Nitrous Blue RS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha I figured it would be an odd question. Dang thanks for the perspective on the SUVs, I didn't think the sidewalls were THAT tall on a 235/55/19.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Pilot Super Sports or the Sport 4S will tackle any dirt or gravel road that the stock RS has ground clearance to go on. If you are really concerned maybe look for more of one of the sporty all seasons like Sport A/S to maintain the drivability.

I travel up and down a muddy farm road a few times a month and have never got myself stuck.

·
Registered
'16 Nitrous Blue RS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pilot Super Sports or the Sport 4S will tackle any dirt or gravel road that the stock RS has ground clearance to go on. If you are really concerned maybe look for more of one of the sporty all seasons like Sport A/S to maintain the drivability.

I travel up and down a muddy farm road a few times a month and have never got myself stuck.
I guess I was just worries about making the sport tires wear too quickly on surfaces they aren't meant for. I'll go ahead and look at all-seasons!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Or just search the forum. Lots of people running everything from slicks, to oem cup 2, continental DWS, full winter tires all the way to BFG KO2’s. The full spectrum

·
Premium Member
587 Posts

I would have recommended an all season or a more dedicated winter tire.
When I met my wife, she lived in a trailer in the woods. Her driveway was a stream bed. Her vehicles were a Suzuki 800 Intruder & a Ford Crown Victoria. You’ll be OK.

·
Registered
'16 Nitrous Blue RS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks y'all. I think all-seasons will be the way to go until I buy a dedicated set of 17s or 18s with all-terrains.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you’re looking for a fairly cheap all-season option I’ve been using a set of Ironman (iMove) all-seasons. They’re not bad for the money. And they’re available in 235/35-19. 380 treadwear.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
AT tyres are a real hassle. Look at lifting the rs thread. Even with 17 inch rims 225 60 17s are 52mm bigger in diameter. Illegal in Australia. Also, requires making your own inner guards and other work to make fit. The sidewall is the thing you need for resilience, not just the tread pattern.

I'm running all weather tyres on 17s with , from memory, 45 sidewalls. My advice, get 17 inch rims and don't go more than 30mm over in diameter at most.

At present I run coilovers and platform adjusters rear so 1 inch up from standard. The trick is getting more ground clearance. I drop it and redo toe for track. Ps4s and cup 2s have low profile and sidewalls are easily pinched. Destroyed one two weekends ago on a rock pinch on normal gravel road. If you want to drive on normal dirt roads it is just asking for it using these tyres imho. Even potholed rough tarmac they are a risk. Btw, get a real spare not the stupid goo and pump, plus add a scissor jack. Essential.1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts