Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone plan on going with all-season tires after the first set wears down? If so, which ones? Initial search on Tire Rack shows only four options for OEM size. Continentals probably being the best.

Also wondering if this should even be on my mind for a car like this, or if I should just have a set of summer tires and a set for winter.

·
Registered
229 Posts
While they don't offer them in the OEM size, the Pirelli Cintrato P7 All Season Plus has been outstanding on my Subaru. I believe they offer that tire in 235/40 19, but I have no clue if that'd be too high to clear wheel well.

With that said, DWS is still a nice tire.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've thought about it. At this point, I have the winter tire package ordered with the car but if I decided to take that off I'll put some AS on there once they factory summer tires are gone.

EDIT: oh i've also had DWSs before and they are really great like everyone says. Probably would be what I go with for AS tires.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Continental DWSs are fantastic. Last year we had a pretty bad winter here in Ky, more snow than usual. My ST did great with the DWSs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The newest BF Goodrich all seasons are going on the ST this summer. If they live up to the tire rack reviews, I'll probably use them on the RS I plan on getting in the next year or so.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm in Canada, so I'll get summer SC2s and the winter package with my RS. I can't bear the thought of trashing either set in drift mode, so I may try a set of cheap a/s on the winter wheels. That will let me hoon around guilt free (relatively)! Plus, a/s tires seem to work OK on GTRs....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Had the Conti DWS on my subi as well. They are a REAL quiet riding tire and excellent adverse weather traction. So those are probably my first purchase after the car arrives.

·
Registered
111 Posts
No. I don't plan on all seasons. It's a reasonable question due to the extra cost of running two sets of tires and/or two sets of tires and rims. Plus having the space to store them. No matter which tire you have on order, if you're in a area with colder temps even without snow your going to need a different tire for those months. My plan is to get winter tires for the stock rims the first winter (if I have the cash 18" wheels and snows). And hopefully the summer tires last two seasons so when it comes time to replace those it won't be until the third summer so I won't notice the expense as much. There's a big benefit of running snows and summer tires vs all seasons. With my last fun car, a modded 95 eagle talon tsi awd, a few years I ran all season and a few years I swapped high performance summer and winter tires, and hands down the car was a lot more fun to drive all year with two different sets of tires. Plus good tires give you a lot more confidence in all situations. Hope that helps with your decision!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm in Canada, so I'll get summer SC2s and the winter package with my RS. I can't bear the thought of trashing either set in drift mode, so I may try a set of cheap a/s on the winter wheels. That will let me hoon around guilt free (relatively)! Plus, a/s tires seem to work OK on GTRs....
Just do it on ice baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
All-Season Performance Tires Anyone?

Anyone thinking of going to an all season performance tire once the Michelin PSS's wear out? I went from Goodyear Eagle F1's on my ST to Continental DWS06's and it made the ride so much better. A bit less grip, but it was worth it my opinion, obviously with AWD this won't be as problematic as it is on a tuned 250 HP FWD car.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
NFW, well at least not where I live. I need the performance of a dedicated winter tire. I may not go to an aggressive summer tire like something with a sub 200 wear rating but an all season tire just doesn't compare to the feel and performance of either dedicated tires.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I have been unimpressed with the hot weather performance of every single all season that I've used. They tend to be great in the rain and great in 50-60 degree temperatures but get unpredictable in the summer. My current tires on the Miata (General something something came on the car) are downright dangerous above 80 degrees. They are slippery and struggle for grip at stop signs. I will absolutely have dedicated hot weather tires to go with my dedicated winter set. Maybe not PSS (I haven't done any research yet) but something dedicated.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
In my experience "all season" tires are more accurately described as "no season" tires. The best thing you can do is get a dedicated winter wheel/tire setup and a set of dedicated summer wheels and tires.

I plan on wearing out the PSS by this winter and then mount blizzaks on the stock wheels. I'll get a set of CCWs or the Mountune forged wheels and mount Hankook RS3s on them for next spring/summer.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just switched tires on my 2005 G35 Sedan MT FROM from Michelin PSS to BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S. The BFGs are rated highly in Tire Rack and for good reason. The are sort of an inverted PSS. The PSS was a solid dry tire that was also very good in the rain, whereas the BFG is a solid wet tire that is very good in the dry, though I'd say they are close in performance. The PSS made me feel a little more confident all around but the BFGs are very close and surprisingly good in the dry. My PSS did not last long and more expensive which is why I switched. The BFG is a very good tire so far.

·
Registered
246 Posts
where I live there is a lot of drivers on the roads at all times, its not so much me I'm worried about its the other drivers I'm worried about. I have my daily van and that is my winter choice as well. around here there is a lot of salt used when it snows. the rs will be reserved for dry days only so I wont be looking into any other sets of wheels or tires other than what it comes with and when those are worn another replacement set of Michelins. I don't want to chance anyone :sliding: into me in an expensive car when it can be avoided by having a cheapo daily driver for inclement weather and reserve the rs for weekends and dry days with salt free roads to keep it as immaculate as the day I will pick it up

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I just switched tires on my 2005 G35 Sedan MT FROM from Michelin PSS to BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S. The BFGs are rated highly in Tire Rack and for good reason. The are sort of an inverted PSS. The PSS was a solid dry tire that was also very good in the rain, whereas the BFG is a solid wet tire that is very good in the dry, though I'd say they are close in performance. The PSS made me feel a little more confident all around but the BFGs are very close and surprisingly good in the dry. My PSS did not last long and more expensive which is why I switched. The BFG is a very good tire so far.
Had BFGs, they were awesome gripped like nobodies business in the rain and cornering. Lasted 11k and they were done. But fun while they lasted.

Sent from my iPhone SE

1 - 20 of 38 Posts