Ford Focus RS Forum banner

161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I went ahead and changed my plugs for NGK 6510 LTR71X-11. I did a datalog before (blue) and after (red). The result is quite hard to believe but after a few pulls it's still showing the same.
Same road, same direction and same ambiant conditions.

View attachment 340710
How old were the original plugs?

Ciao

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi i got the ngk 6510 not Pre gaped when i bought the car. I saw on youtube that in som movies they taped the plugg on something hard to close the gap. So i did this metod and now i saw some other movies that this is the wrong way and the plugg can get damege and som parts from the plugg can come in the engine and destroy it. So now i dont know if i can install them. I taped the pluggs on a pice of Wood to 0.026.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,179 Posts
Hi i got the ngk 6510 not Pre gaped when i bought the car. I saw on youtube that in som movies they taped the plugg on something hard to close the gap. So i did this metod and now i saw some other movies that this is the wrong way and the plugg can get damege and som parts from the plugg can come in the engine and destroy it. So now i dont know if i can install them. I taped the pluggs on a pice of Wood to 0.026.

What do you guys think?
This video should cover most of your spark plug questions:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Gap @ 0.026 is correct and the wood is fine too. I wouldn't use any possibly damaged plugs. They aren't that expensive to replace. No anti-seize necessary but the dielectric grease looks like a good idea.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good question as I like torque specs. BUT, I'm old school and use my hand as the gauge. Been doing plugs since the 60's and never a broken one.....It's clean metal to clean metal so you can call it well snug. Someone will give you the spec and then you can test that with your hand gauge.....

·
Premium Member
4,179 Posts

Spark Plugs106 lb in

That's just to answer the question.... like @gbassrace , I feel the tightness on spark plugs.

161 - 169 of 169 Posts