Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Looking at installing a MBRP's 3" Cat Back, Dual Outlet, T409 system I purchased over the Holidays. Was curious if anyone has this catback system and if anyone has deleted the resonator on it. It sits on top of the muffler. Dont really wana mess with the sound much but if it would increase the flow and slightly increase the loudness might be up to it. Thought I would just cut and cap it off.

Thanks in advance for the feedback

S4203409.jpg

·
Registered
943 Posts
I wouldn't remove the resonator. You'll grow to hate driving the car if you do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am currently running the MBRP. I have sinced welded in two resonators (one in front and one in rear) to get rid of drone.
Great :mad-new: well Maybe I should look at buying a resonator before I install in then. which kind did you get? any brand or was it MBRP's. And did the 2 resonators help????

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I have that exhaust now.

I bought the AWE resonated Touring to replace it. The bass/drone from 2800-5000 is rough. Removing the Helmholtz resonator isn't robbing any power, nor is it adequate enough for this exhaust.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have that exhaust now.

I bought the AWE resonated Touring to replace it. The bass/drone from 2800-5000 is rough. Removing the Helmholtz resonator isn't robbing any power, nor is it adequate enough for this exhaust.
SO you got rid of your MBRP completely and got a AWE catback instead?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've had this MBRP catback on the for last year or so and I really like it. I don't notice any bad drone and IMO it has a nice, deep tone for a 4 banger. I also wouldn't recommend removing the resonator, I bought a 3" system without a resonator for my ST and man did that thing drone bad on the highway.

My suggestion would be to put it on as is and drive around for a few weeks to let it break in. Then you can add/remove pieces if needed and get it closer to your liking.

My only gripe was how many pieces/clamps it has making it a PITA to fit it just right. It's what you get for under $500 though, there are several better systems out there for double that and more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
LOL - I think you know how I feel about this system. It is only good with a stock downpipe. If you plan to go aftermarket DP - even MBRP's own - it's a horrible sounding system. MBRP doesn't seem to take my complaint seriously and my vendor has stopped replying to my emails and Instagram chats (yet they would respond right away before purchase). So I have filed a complaint with my bank as I feel like I was misled by MBRP's own representative when they say no drone and similar sounding system to their ST system. So yea, return the system. I am now wishing I went with something different.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It helped temper the drone, but it did not get rid of that loud resonating sound from 3-4k rpms. So I'd say to get a different exhaust to be honest. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts