Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my alignment done on stock suspension, .05 toe on all wheels. Car tracks straight when I hold the wheel perfectly straight. If I let go of the wheel it tracks straight for 20-30 feet or more but bumps in the road eventually cause it slowly drift right. I'm in Mass where roads are mostly bad unless they're new and even those become bad after a couple of winters. When it drifts to the right the steering wheel is sightly to the right, maybe 2-3 degrees. Is there a reason the car eventually eases to the right? Could it be the weight of the engine? I weigh 150lbs so I'm guessing the car is heavier on the passenger side.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That probably explains it for roads but I notice it happens in parking lots too. I figured it would sometimes slowly drift left in that case but it always seems to eventually go right.

I'll have to get on the highway and see what it does in the left lane versus right lane.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Not enough positive caster on the right side. It's the most common complaint. Has nothing to do with toe, just caster. You need more on the right or less on the left. There isn't a specific adjustment for it, but an alignment tech who knows WTF he (or she?) is doing can loosen the suspension bolts and pull/push all the slack in the correct direction.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@FORZDA 2 That makes sense. I'm looking at my alignment sheet now it says I have 4.7 degrees on the left, 4.5 degrees on the right. Can .2 degrees have that much of an effect?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
@FORZDA 2 That makes sense. I'm looking at my alignment sheet now it says I have 4.7 degrees on the left, 4.5 degrees on the right. Can .2 degrees have that much of an effect?
It would not surprise me, but there is literally nothing you can do to adjust the caster with stock setup. Your best bet is to get the powerflex A-arm bushings. With those I'm at 5.5*L / 5.3*R caster per my last alignment. Front end is is much more solid, and the torque steer is basically gone.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Yes it can. Your pull to the right sounds mild, but persistent. As I said earlier, the bolts can be loosened and the right side pulled forward and the left side pushed back. It may require loosening the entire front subframe and it can be moved to correct the issue.
An alignment shop likely won’t spend the time to correct it on the basic alignment price. You will need to pay by the hour or do it yourself. Or you can spend the money to replace good parts if you want.
You need at least two or three tenths MORE on the right side to account for the road crown.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Does it come that way from the factory so it naturally pulls you off the road if you're incapacitated? I remember my mom's car, no matter how many alignments it had, always drifted right.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
How are the tires on the car OP? I've had this issue on a car be due to a tire wearing funny ("coned") or slightly out of balance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@FORZDA 2 It seems like my best option is to just live with it for now. I could adjust it with my friend at his shop, but he doesn't have an alignment machine so who knows if we'd make it better or worse. I'll look into fixing it when I buy a better suspension setup. Thanks for the info.

@SenderPiggins I had not considered that but that does seem logical.

@BigFatFlip tires are newish PSS. Bought them last year they have a little over 1000 miles on them. They are all at 46 psi since I just had the alignment done earlier in the week. I plan on dropping them to 41f/38r

1 - 10 of 10 Posts