Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone mind sharing their numbers for alignment for autox? I just picked up my RS earlier this week and I can tell the alignement is not right on it... my first autox event with it is at the end of the month, I was hoping to have it straightened out before then. I've done alignments on fwd and rwd cars before, this is my first time tackling an awd car. Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not a ton you an do that will make it better for AutoX sadly. In stock spec there is really no camber adjustment which would be the biggest help. You can slightly change toe settings if you want but that could be detrimental to your tires if you do a lot of street driving. Check out the AutoX thread (it is LOOOOONG) and it probably has some info on alignment too.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, thanks for the feedback. I dug around in the autox thread a bit, but couldn't find anything, I'll to look closer. The car does have an air bag suspension on it, so I'm not sure if there was additional adjustability with that. Regardless, I was going to get it in and at least set back to factory settings for now. I have a more proper coilover suspension on order already, but it won't be here till July. I wanted see if I could do something in the meantime to help with how squirly the car is.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Hmm, thanks for the feedback. I dug around in the autox thread a bit, but couldn't find anything, I'll to look closer. The car does have an air bag suspension on it, so I'm not sure if there was additional adjustability with that. Regardless, I was going to get it in and at least set back to factory settings for now. I have a more proper coilover suspension on order already, but it won't be here till July. I wanted see if I could do something in the meantime to help with how squirly the car is.
As posted above, unfortunately not a lot you can do on your stock-ish set-up. For autoX, you usually want to maximize your neg camber since you are mostly focused on low speed max cornering grip. Some like to have slightly less rear neg camber vs the front but that's usually based on personal preference based on the desired rotatability. Adding some front toe-out also helps with getting a crisper turn-in.

That said, it sounds like you're trying to tackle 2 things at once here. An autoX-centric alignment as I described above doesn't necessarily mean a good street/freeway alignment. My suggestion is to just get a street alignment now and pick-up some camber plates (vorshlag or ground control) to go with your coilovers when they arrive, then get another alignment then once you know what you started with and how it felt.

·
Registered
534 Posts
First order of business is upgrading the bushings.

Powerflex makes good ones, #1 and #2 at the front, and #10, 11, 12 at the rear, use their BLK stuff (hard) if you don’t mind road noise in the cockpit, otherwise their standard yellow/purple stuff is great. Others came up with competitive offerings. I cannot comment as I’ve never seen them.

Next, front toe to zero.

Last, get a pyrometer (not a non-contact IR thermometer) and see what your tire temperatures look like before fiddling with camber and what not.

Here is a short introduction. I don’t know or particularly support the brand shown but what he says is correct. Perhaps just not take the outer measurement that close from the edges, leave a couple centimeters (an inch) of margin maybe. Other than that it’s good info.

Use data not hearsay, and certainly not what others are doing because they are listening hearsay too. In general, road tires don’t need much camber, and 1.5° is a lot. In many cases, people find joy in adding camber only because the car was ruined before by some other change, like using overly stiff springs, or because the bushings are too soft to hold the geometry under load.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts