Ford Focus RS Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
That's exactly what I'm trying to do but turn the reflectors into rear fogs. What LEDs did you use, and how did you get the reflectors apart? Thanks!
+1 also interested if you can share more details! Looks very well done good job!

Can you also tell, are they more of a «*running light*» brigthtness or «*braking light*» bright?

I’m also looking to add a rear fog setup but these would need to be as bright as the brake lights to actually be usefull as a rear fog! Otherwise they wont be visible from a distance in heavy snow which the main reason why I want the rear fog.

Plus the recesses for the reflectors always tend to fill up with snow faster than the bottom of the diffuser where the euro fog is, probably due to where it is located vs the aerodynamic of the vehicule rear end.

Anyhow I’m interested about more details this might change my plans for my rear fog project actually!

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, just wondering if you had any installation issues. I noticed on the MK3 focus website that there is an option for euro vs american spec but they're $100 more than the ones on ebay. So I emailed the guys on Ebay and they had no idea if there were any differences.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That's exactly what I'm trying to do but turn the reflectors into rear fogs. What LEDs did you use, and how did you get the reflectors apart? Thanks!
+1 also interested if you can share more details! Looks very well done good job!

Can you also tell, are they more of a «*running light*» brigthtness or «*braking light*» bright?

I’m also looking to add a rear fog setup but these would need to be as bright as the brake lights to actually be usefull as a rear fog! Otherwise they wont be visible from a distance in heavy snow which the main reason why I want the rear fog.

Plus the recesses for the reflectors always tend to fill up with snow faster than the bottom of the diffuser where the euro fog is, probably due to where it is located vs the aerodynamic of the vehicule rear end.

Anyhow I’m interested about more details this might change my plans for my rear fog project actually!

Thanks
I hate to break it for both of you guys but this was just my flash that did that :( BUT on a positive note, I also wanted to make these reflectors as LED’s.. so I found this guy on IG who did it. DIY job, which I have yet to do since I’m not too handy.
If you guys inbox 1badsmurf_ on IG, he can provide you with a whole list of steps in order to make it.
Sorry to disappoint:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I hate to break it for both of you guys but this was just my flash that did that :( BUT on a positive note, I also wanted to make these reflectors as LED’s.. so I found this guy on IG who did it. DIY job, which I have yet to do since I’m not too handy.
If you guys inbox 1badsmurf_ on IG, he can provide you with a whole list of steps in order to make it.
Sorry to disappoint:(

Thanks for getting me all excited!

I bought reflectors and LED strips from ebay. Cracking open the reflectors isn't too hard, I soaked them in 91% isopropyl alcohol for a few hours and then ran a gift card along the seam between the transparent part and the opaque part. Ebay LED light strips fight perfectly in the gap left behind, I just have to drill some holes in the opaque part of the reflector to run the wires. Wiring them up to the brake lines isn't hard (just use some vampire taps) but the rear fogs part will be a little harder if I'm going to use the stock wiring and Euro switch (which is my goal).

For anyone who has more free time than me, these are the strips that fit. The silicone on the wire side needed some trimming, but otherwise it'll fit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-12-30CM-5050-Red-Flexible-LED-Light-Strip-for-Car-Motor-Boat-Waterproof-12V/351589839673

I'm using 12" strips, but the entire space on the inside is about 16" if you want to go nuts

·
Registered
506 Posts

I bought reflectors and LED strips from ebay. Cracking open the reflectors isn't too hard, I soaked them in 91% isopropyl alcohol for a few hours and then ran a gift card along the seam between the transparent part and the opaque part. Ebay LED light strips fight perfectly in the gap left behind, I just have to drill some holes in the opaque part of the reflector to run the wires. Wiring them up to the brake lines isn't hard (just use some vampire taps) but the rear fogs part will be a little harder if I'm going to use the stock wiring and Euro switch (which is my goal).

For anyone who has more free time than me, these are the strips that fit. The silicone on the wire side needed some trimming, but otherwise it'll fit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-12-30CM-5050-Red-Flexible-LED-Light-Strip-for-Car-Motor-Boat-Waterproof-12V/351589839673

I'm using 12" strips, but the entire space on the inside is about 16" if you want to go nuts
Wow awesome!! Seems easier than the listed steps I was sent..
Thanks!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey, just wondering if you had any installation issues. I noticed on the MK3 focus website that there is an option for euro vs american spec but they're $100 more than the ones on ebay. So I emailed the guys on Ebay and they had no idea if there were any differences.
I hope there aren't differences. I bought some from UK via ebay and have not installed them yet.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I hate to break it for both of you guys but this was just my flash that did that
BUT on a positive note, I also wanted to make these reflectors as LED’s.. so I found this guy on IG who did it. DIY job, which I have yet to do since I’m not too handy.
Sorry to disappoint

Thanks to both of you for all the info! I’ll wait and see how bright those come out and might consider using them as rear fogs too, the euro diffuser I bought cheap on ebay does not seem like it will ever ship!!

Hopefully someone figures out how to use the euro switch and wire the rear fogs to the bcm so the install is all integrated like factory stuff!

121 - 131 of 131 Posts