Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my '16 RS off at a tuner shop on Tuesday morning. My current mods are a Cobb AP running a stage 1 93 octane OTS, a Cobb RMM, Cobb air filter, and a Mountune V3 CBE.

I was having the following installed: ETS FMIC, Cobb intake, Turbosmart BOV, WGA, and NGK Iridium plugs. I was also having a pro tune performed on a DynaPack dyno.

I was told the installs all went well. However, I got an email saying that misfires were encountered on the dyno. They said they got good power during the first pull but once things got hotter it started misfiring. They tried again on the stock plugs, and with different gappings but the misfires continued.

The tuner and dyno are affiliated but managed separately. The tuner sent an invoice along with the 'bad news' email for $650. He said they would try taking it out on the road for a test drive tomorrow morning and get back to me.

First, is there anything I can suggest the tuner check? The car has been flawless on the Cobb OTS tune for 8 months without a single issue. Second, how should I position my reply and what realistic expectations should I have from a service perspective?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
Not an expert by any stretch however misfires would be indicative of a few possible issues including bad fuel, lean AFR and /or ignition timing advanced too far. In short I think they have screwed up your tune and I would recommend you flash the appropriate Cobb OTS tune until you can sort out the issue.

If you have ongoing issues with high charged air temps you might want to consider water meth injection or ethanol to enable a decent tuner to bring your timing forward safely and reliably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
More seriously I would confirm that the WG install has been done correctly and you are not overboosting. That could explain the overheating and detonation. I would get that confirmed ASAP as overboost will kill an engine real quick.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this point I really don't have any additional information beyond what I included in my OP. I had requested a baseline run but by that time the new mods had already been installed. So I suspect the misfires were observed with the Cobb tune I dropped it off with, but I've requested confirmation. If they had already tuned anything I can request they revert and try another run. As for fuel, I'm running 94 (Petro Canada ftw!). I also don't know what they are looking for taking it out on the road for a test drive. I've asked if it runs well if they intend on putting it back on the dyno or just giving it back...

Sorry--this is more venting than anything. Been looking forward to this for moths and now I'm anxious and extremely frustrated.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Mate, seriously I would NOT be letting them road run the car until you have another tuner provide you some advice. If you have the logs from the dyno pulls I would be looking at a Cobb protuner or etuner to review and provide advice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It seems these RS's are very susceptible to heat. I've seen a couple videos of tuners talking about cooling issues and how the RS responds to getting hot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He has an upgraded WGA so flashing back to stage 0 would be bad unless the boost control maps are tuned
What's your recommendation? Is the care safe for gentle highway driving? The tuner is 100km away and I've been driving a rental. Should I request the car back and go with remote tuning from someone more qualified?

·
Registered
496 Posts
What's your recommendation? Is the care safe for gentle highway driving? The tuner is 100km away and I've been driving a rental. Should I request the car back and go with remote tuning from someone more qualified?

I would request a WG safe tune and get it home staying off boost. Would also contact someone like Alex from Stratefied or Adam from Tune+ and ask some advice.

·
Registered
287 Posts
^ +1

·
Registered
516 Posts
tell them to eat that $650 and get your car back. limp it home and go with an e-tuner like mentioned above. tune+, stratified, purple drank, freektune, to name a few.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Man hate to hear this but it happens a lot. The ecoboost is not an easy engine to tune for. So taking it to the local guy to get it on the dyno usually is less effective than a data logged tune or ots from lms. Since you have the handheld already I would also take the advice above and ask that the tuner eat the time they spent trying to tune it. Offer to pay for the labor of install. But you payed them to tune your car and they didn’t do it right so why should you pay for them to learn. I would second having Alex look it over.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick update: confirmed that excess boost isn't the problem. Its misfiring even at 15 PSI and then only when the engines hot. Also, the misfiring tended to happen when the ECU switched from a lean mixture to rich. The owner took it on abroad test and said that it drives fine in all drive modes and that it only misfired once under WOT. Going to pick it up in a few hours then get it home gently.

I will definitely remote tune, but everything sounds like a hardware problem. The also confirmed the gate length is 3mm. What else should I look at once I get the car back if the problem is physical?

·
Registered
898 Posts
you need to take that car to a competent performance shop and have them diagnose the problem. If you still feel the shop it was at is competent, take it back and have them diagnose it.
If it turns out to be something they did wrong, they should eat the diagnosis. If not, so be it and you're on the hook.
The tune is completely separate here - it's not the tuners fault that you effectively had him tune a car with bad hardware, if that is the case, ya dig?

edit: i should say that one thing to be learned here is of course do base-line dyno pulls to make sure all is well.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
You need logs. And the advice of an experienced Ecoboost tuner. Do you know if the tuner has dealt with this platform before?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You need logs. And the advice of an experienced Ecoboost tuner. Do you know if the tuner has dealt with this platform before?
One of their shop cars is a mustang but they primarily specialize in subies.

Drove the car for the hour long trip back to my city and kept an eye on the AP's misfire count, it was 53 when I got home. The car sounds like a carnival with the intake whistle/whirl and the BOV sounding like air brakes on a semi. The misfire count didn't seem to correlate with any type of driving, boost, or acceleration. I wouldn't have know they were even occuring if I wasn't showing them on a gauge. Couldn't hear anything and at the car never lagged or hesitated under acceleration.

Car felt much more powerful even while trying to stay below half throttle.

I'll be sending off some logs to Adam at Tune+ tomorrow. However the tuner said they flashed the Cobb stage 2 map and the misfires remained, so I am not sure if the tune is the culprit.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Yeah, I've had five Scoobs...all turbo. Tuning them is nothing remotely close to tuning the Ecoboost.

Ask for a refund for the tune, apply it to Adam or whomever you end up with.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
16 Participants
phillofoc
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing