Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
i've been looking at getting this same thing but never heard of a rivet nut setting tool. That's the part that's had me concerned. I assumed it was a pop rivet gun but clearly that's incorrect.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Has anyone installed this without using the rivet nut hardware? I'm not mechanically inclined and even if it is easy enough to figure out the idea of doing something irreversible makes me cringe. I prefer to use the fabric in the summer.

Does anyone have experience trying this with the stock hardware?

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
It's totally reversible. One could simply pry out the nut rivets and put the plastic pieces back in that the stock torx bolts require.

Using the nut tool doesn't require much skill at all, just a little patience. Check the video below on how to use it. The tool is just $20 at Harbor Freight.

I have no experience on any other skid plates than the ADF, but there is no way one should use anything but the hardware they supply for the install.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Because of the weight of the plate, I wouldn't recommend it, it would end up stripping and pulling out the stock fasteners

You can use the new hardware with the fabric though
Has anyone installed this without using the rivet nut hardware? I'm not mechanically inclined and even if it is easy enough to figure out the idea of doing something irreversible makes me cringe. I prefer to use the fabric in the summer.

Does anyone have experience trying this with the stock hardware?
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts

Thought I'd share this for anyone running across this thread doing research on this upgrade.

So on their product page, like many product pages, they leave themselves some wiggle room for responsibility of fitment issues:

Works with many aftermarket upgrades. Will fit many larger charge pipes. (Will NOT work with Fumoto oil valve, without modification)
Which is fine, I understand that there is no way to design something with everyone else's stuff in mind, my issue is that I keep running into situations where my other items, specifically Mishimoto products, don't fall into the "most".

Yesterday was the first time I've gone to change the oil since I put the ADF tray on, here was what I noticed right away

181008-1 - Undertray IC far away.jpg

181008-2 - Undertray IC close up.jpg

Visible wear on one of the ADF ducts . (#EDIT: upon further review this is wear from the standoff that holds the bottom of the IC pipe in place, not the pipe itself)

181008-3 - Undertray IC away.jpg

181008-4 - Undertray IC close.jpg

Since I've removed my Boomba BOV I was noticing a very faintly audible boost leak, I'd guess now this was the culprit of that noise

I laid down a nice layer of JB Weld on the IC pipe to seal it back up and protect it (looks like it'll work out very nicely actually!) and when I went to put the tray back on the car I noticed that where I thought it was wearing was not where it was touching the piping, so reinspecting, here on the edge is where it was touching/rubbing/wearing

181008-5 - Undertray IC actual wear.jpg

That was much easier to fix for good with a little time with the Dremel and a bit of Rustoleum paint, all fixed. Not super crazy about the JB Weld in play, but sometimes you just do what you gotta do to get something working.

181008-6 - Fix Cut.jpg

181008-7 - Taped Off.jpg

181008-8 - In Place.jpg

Overall not a huge deal, but just be aware that these pieces always don't together right out of the box !

·
Registered
20 Posts

Thought I'd share this for anyone running across this thread doing research on this upgrade.

I understand that there is no way to design something with everyone else's stuff in mind, my issue is that I keep running into situations where my other items, specifically Mishimoto products, don't fall into the "most".

So I take it you're using aftermarket IC pipes? Is this correct? Can you please confirm?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I got around to installing mine today. I have CP-E pipes, but will definitely inspect for rubbing after the oil change. I can confirm the Fumoto drain valve makes contact with one of the ducts. May have to notch it to ensure no damage occurs.

20181008_114956~2.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
I have not seen a lot of people use Fumoto oil valve users in the past when I was using it on my old Evos.

let us know if it make any issues.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I can confirm that the Fumoto valve DOES NOT work without modification to the tray. Let's just say...it was a messy lesson.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
If anybody is local to Denver, ADF is trying to finish up R&D on a forward portion undertray to replace the plastic between the bumper and their skidplate

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
It is expensive depending on your needs. It's a whole kit with tips for various size nuts, a big selection of nuts, etc. It's about 70 bucks on Amazon.

It is a great tool and I know I will use it for other things. BUT it definitely is not necessary.

There are a ton of DIY videos of how to make your own tool with a threaded bolt/washers and nuts.

Those solutions are a little less elegant and slower to use, but theywork. Hell they might even be easier unless you can lift your car up high enough given the way the Astro tool's arms have to move to set the nut.
For those looking for a less expensive tool that will get this job done and do others, Harbor Freight sells this set for $19.99:

https://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html

image_18300.jpg
I used it to install the threaded nuts for the rear brace install and it works fine.

Jim

·
Registered
237 Posts
Bought this set from Harbor Freight. It worked, but is a pretty big POS. I know, it is to be expected. Mine was slightly different in appearance and was not branded Pittsburgh. don't know if it would make a difference, but ordering on line might get you a better tool than going into the store.

That said, my skid plate is installed. This is a pretty fantastic piece. It is well made and really is not that bad to install. I went shade tree mechanic and installed this on ramps in my driveway, in January, in Michigan and it, along with an oil change, took about three hours.

JR at ADF was very helpful.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If anybody is local to Denver, ADF is trying to finish up R&D on a forward portion undertray to replace the plastic between the bumper and their skidplate
OMG yes please, any updates of when they plan to release?

·
Registered
114 Posts
OMG yes please, any updates of when they plan to release?
Last I heard they were still looking for someone local to them with an rs so they can mock it up, the hold up is that they don't have an rs and haven't found any volunteers yet. But this was almost a month ago, maybe they've found one since then

21 - 38 of 38 Posts