Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive 100 miles per day to work and it drives me nuts not having a spare. I also didn't want to add weight to the car. Sooo, here is my compromise.

20171121_112210.jpg

I pulled out the driver side rear seat and seat back following Hank's AWESOME instructions.

The seat back weighs 32.2 lbs, the seat bottom weighs 12. lbs.

20171121_120132.jpg

I reused one of the seat bottom attachment points to anchor one end of the ratchet strap.
20171121_120143.jpg

I hooked the other end of the ratchet strap to the attachment point for the seat back.

20171121_114038.jpg

first gen rx7 aluminum scissors jack fits nicely in the styrofoam.

20171121_120153.jpg

weight of wheel plus jack: 53 lbs

net weight gain to the vehicle: ~8lbs

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Did you forget to add some sort of lug nut tool?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I’ve got no problem without a spare, but in your situation I’d say that’s pretty clever. I’d just ditch the rear seats altogether, and mount it on the passenger side. But you may need the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a follow up to this post, I had the opportunity to use my spare tire setup recently (thanks pothole!), only a week after purchasing a set of pirelli trofeo R tires. Although it all worked, the scissors jack was barely able to lift the front of the car. The aluminum handle was flexing as I was lifting. I am not sure it would lift the front again, as the screw threads look like they were damaged as well. I stopped at the local junkyard and purchased a steel scissors jack that weighs a few pounds more, but more confidence inspiring. The drive head on the new jack is 19mm, so my wheel nut breaker bar setup will work on the jack as well.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
So what rim did you get? Do you have to worry about offset and backspacing to match the OEM Forged alloys?
and I have been unable to find the specs for the forged alloys for the RS. are they 8 or 8.5? and what is the offset and backspacing?
A new OEM replacement is $1,500 each - not doing that.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it is an inexpensive 18 inch rim from tire rack.The tire is meant for emergencies, so I was not concerned about strength

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
chicago1
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing